Author Topic: Atlas SD45's  (Read 16421 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5222
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Atlas SD45's
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2022, 03:41:44 PM »
They would be but that is why I said that atlas needs to clarify this. Last page someone said that it would not be the 21 pin version but some other soundtrack decoder but they couldn’t provide further info. I still want to know if they can take the ESU decoders that everyone who has purchased atlas locomotives since 2016 have invested in. I am NOT investing in anything Sountraxx after horrible customer service from them and endless problems with their decoders I did try.

I suspect that what we have here is a simple copy/paste error (maybe from H0 model) in the write-up.   We have seen similar mistakes in the past.

The 21 pin connectors are also rather thick. Not sure if there is enough vertical clearance in the N scale loco for a motherboard and a decoder using that interface.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 07:14:44 PM by peteski »
. . . 42 . . .

greenwizard88

• Crew
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2022, 04:00:17 PM »
As I understood, any manufacturing delays of electronics (including DCC) are due to unavailability of semiconductor and other components.  Wouldn't that also affect Soundtraxx?  Also, ESU just recently sent bunch of decoders out to the dealers.

ESU decoders are made overseas, Soundtraxx is made in Colorado. It's entirely possible that the supply chain in America is more robust (or less messy) because no one really buys electronics components in America.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2022, 04:08:57 PM »
I don't know about the SD38/39, as I don't have any need for the units.  But the SD40 probably won't work on the SD45 chassis, based on usual model chassis design.

The prototypes use the same frame, but the cabs are in different locations, and the bodies are longer.  Most model chassis have the entire body full of metal, for weight, so the SD45 chassis wouldn't fit in the shorter SD40 body.

That was one advantage when I kitbashed my SDP40.  The cab is in the same location as on an SD45, so the SD40 body, minus the rear end, fit perfectly on the SD45 chassis.

And, yes, a Big Sky Blue SD45 would be nice, IF they get the blue right!  The Great Northern historical society can give them the prototype paint information, but too many companies today seem to use Conrail Blue, which is much to dark.

Speculating here, but it'd be incredibly short sighted for Atlas not to design a chassis that can accommodate an SD40 shell, as well as the SD38/39. Never say never, but I think it's too natural not to do.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2022, 04:09:45 PM »
ESU decoders are made overseas, Soundtraxx is made in Colorado. It's entirely possible that the supply chain in America is more robust (or less messy) because no one really buys electronics components in America.

But the electronic component distributors in USA have to get their components to stock from the same market as the rest of the world.   There are circuit manufacturers in USA, otherwise companies like Digikey or Mouser (or others) would go out of business.

NCE also manufacturers their products in New York state, and they are experiencing production delays.  Probably the same goes for TCS. Not sure if Digitrax makes their decoders locally or in China.
. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2022, 04:34:12 PM »

I don't think the country of origin for the decoder really matters. If anything Chinese manufacture would be preferred as they have to go to China to be installed in the locomotives anyway.

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3509
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2022, 04:40:57 PM »
+1
I would find it odd that after retooling all the chassis recently to accept the ESU design, they'd go thru another redesign and have multiple chassis that aren't interchangeable.  Would be counterproductive,  though if my employer were involved would be right up their alley

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2022, 04:43:17 PM »
I would find it odd that after retooling all the chassis recently to accept the ESU design, they'd go thru another redesign and have multiple chassis that aren't interchangeable.  Would be counterproductive,  though if my employer were involved would be right up their alley

This has me puzzled as well.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2022, 04:44:15 PM »
I don't think the country of origin for the decoder really matters. If anything Chinese manufacture would be preferred as they have to go to China to be installed in the locomotives anyway.

That is another good point - Atlas and other American model RR companies only have their office and some tech-support/repair in USA. No manufacturing. The actual model production happens in China.  It has been like that for quite some time.
. . . 42 . . .

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2022, 05:05:49 PM »
+1
Ooof , the FB announcement comments are nuts, lots of people flipping out.  Like anything else, don't like prices, don't buy.  Then they'll get message they are out of line.  If we continue to buy, nothing changes

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2022, 05:13:33 PM »
Ooof , the FB announcement comments are nuts, lots of people flipping out.  Like anything else, don't like prices, don't buy.  Then they'll get message they are out of line.  If we continue to buy, nothing changes

The prices don't even seem that high, at least compared to other recent models they've produced. Its $30 more than what they've been selling recently and its a whole new model with all the development costs associated with that. Obviously less expensive would be nice, but its an expensive hobby at the best of times.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2022, 05:15:03 PM »
+1
Most of the price comments were in regards to the $83 hopper, mentioned earlier, and $60 boxcars.  Not necessarily the SD45,

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2022, 05:49:34 PM »

I don't know if I would find it all that odd since I believe most of the releases, if not all since they redesigned the chassis, have been smaller locos than this one.  So I could see this being a whole new chassis.

garethashenden

• Crew
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2022, 07:06:34 PM »
I just sent Atlas an email via the contact form on their website asking about the 21 pin connector and the switch to Soundtraxx. If they respond I'll let you know what they say.

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #88 on: December 01, 2022, 07:19:00 PM »
I commented on their catalog post on FB asking them to clarify the SD45 situation, might get rid of some of the  :x comments

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +242
« Reply #89 on: December 01, 2022, 07:46:59 PM »
+2
I have a request in for some clarification and technical information on the N SD45 from someone up the food chain at Atlas.

We will see what happens.

In either case, I'll figure out how to cram ESU LokSound into the SD45's.  Ain't no thang....

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com