Author Topic: Atlas SD45's  (Read 16427 times)

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Re: Atlas SD45's
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2022, 03:10:14 PM »
+1
This announcement came out of the blue. SD45 is one of my favorites so I'm looking forward to seeing these. I hope these are actually using ESU.

Looks like I'll wait to see the SP rebuilt versions with 7400-7566 series
http://espee.railfan.net/spsd45r.html

The SD40M-2 Morris-Knudsen rebuilds with speed lettering (not all use the SD45 carbody in the 8574-8706 series).
http://espee.railfan.net/spsd40m-2.html

yes!

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2022, 03:33:04 PM »
+2
Since this is an all new loco with a new mechanism, I wonder if it will have a more scale width hood.   The Kato locos were a bit fat because the motor was totally enclosed in the frame.
Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Curtis Kyger

• Crew
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2022, 03:59:59 PM »
+4
I'd buy a Gold unit with ESU decoder; but if my choices are either a Gold with Soundtraxx or a Silver, I'd buy the Silver and put an ESU in it.

I noticed Atlas Silver deliveries recently ...but still waiting on the Gold deliveries from China.  I think we are seeing a few signs including temporary shortages of ESU decoders at our favorite vendors that suggest ESU is having production issues.  Perhaps the Atlas's et.al. of the world are beginning to turn to Soundtraxx in frustration....

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5222
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2022, 04:45:11 PM »
As I understood, any manufacturing delays of electronics (including DCC) are due to unavailability of semiconductor and other components.  Wouldn't that also affect Soundtraxx?  Also, ESU just recently sent bunch of decoders out to the dealers.
. . . 42 . . .

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2022, 05:04:15 PM »
What was wrong with the SD50/60 mechanism? Seems like a pretty good one to me. I don't have a C628/630 though, so I can't comment on that one.

Been so long since I ran an SD50/60 I can't recall specifics, but I do remember being incredibly disappointed with them. I recall truck issues and loud motors out of the box. The C628/630 is fresher in my memory... they didn't run out of the box. Had to coax them to move and they were erratic and stalled a lot but got better once they warmed up. Stopped for even five minute and you were back to square one. I remember being told that they were over oiled. IMO when you buy a locomotive it should run. The odd defect is to be expected (though still waiting for a bad Kato), but virtually every locomotive and over several runs... that's just a POS. Pretty sure they were aware because I wasn't the only one complaining on the Atlas forum.

I concluded they weren't interested in fixing them. That's not good.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2022, 05:06:21 PM »
I'd be very tempted with the EL SD45's, but with the way perorders work (short supply for the pensive types) I'm not going to risk it until I hear some good things.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2022, 05:17:41 PM »
Been so long since I ran an SD50/60 I can't recall specifics, but I do remember being incredibly disappointed with them. I recall truck issues and loud motors out of the box. The C628/630 is fresher in my memory... they didn't run out of the box. Had to coax them to move and they were erratic and stalled a lot but got better once they warmed up. Stopped for even five minute and you were back to square one. I remember being told that they were over oiled. IMO when you buy a locomotive it should run. The odd defect is to be expected (though still waiting for a bad Kato), but virtually every locomotive and over several runs... that's just a POS. Pretty sure they were aware because I wasn't the only one complaining on the Atlas forum.

Well, FWIW, I never had any truck issues with my Atlas SD50/60/60M locos that I can recall. The only thing I vaguely remember is something about the center wheel in the trucks kind of hopping on curves. As I recall, this was primarily a visual annoyance and didn't cause any significant running problems. I think this hopping was minimized or eliminated by adjusting wheel gauges.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1617
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2022, 05:27:04 PM »

The C628/630's couldn't hardly pull themselves either.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 05:32:29 PM »
+1
I would have preferred an SD40 over an SD45, but this is exciting!  Couple preliminary thoughts.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the mechanism--or at least the trucks--because Atlas already has the trucks from the SD35.  I assume they wouldn't retool the gear tower, and I don't recall seeing any complaints about that mechanism over the past twenty years. 

And I spy two truck styles. Good.

And the EL horn is a nice touch.  The separate MU hoses and the two foot board styles too.  Also the two plow types.

It looks like it will have molded on windshield wipers as part of the window glass?

I wish they had released more than seven schemes.  There's so many good ones to choose from!

I'm tempted to get one to turn into an SDP40, but we'll see.

And finally, does an SD9 or SD35 truck (they have different gear towers) fit on an SD50 mechanism?  If so, modeling Conrail SD40-2's and SD50's just got much much easier.

Aaron Bearden

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +593
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2022, 05:44:40 PM »
Since this is an all new loco with a new mechanism, I wonder if it will have a more scale width hood.   The Kato locos were a bit fat because the motor was totally enclosed in the frame.

Almost 10000% certain. All the EMD locos tooled after the Atlas/Kato split have scale (or close to scale) width hoods (GP40, SD35, SD50/60, etc). The "legacy" models that were tooled during the Atlas/Kato days are still "fat" hooded (GP30, GP35, etc).

Looks like my Kato SD45s just became surplus!  :o

Mark

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2022, 05:53:02 PM »

The C628/630's couldn't hardly pull themselves either.

If I get one to run I'll confirm this  ;)

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9009
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2022, 06:07:17 PM »
***** yes.

I'm not sad about no PC or CR up front. I'm sure they'll happen eventually.

And I'll happily take an EL one to defile in the meantime.

And I'll also be patiently waiting for a future SD40, because they'd be stupid not to.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2022, 06:13:28 PM »
+1
Standby for flood of Kato SD45's on eBay in 3.....2.....1......

crrcoal

• Crew
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2022, 06:23:24 PM »
+1
I hope they thought about making an extended cab for Reading. It's the perfect time to do so since it's all new tooling,

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2022, 06:36:18 PM »

And I'll also be patiently waiting for a future SD40, because they'd be stupid not to.

In my late 80's timeframe in southern Ontario the SD40 ruled jointly with the big MLW's. The SD40-2's were common enough into Toronto and Montreal from western Canada, but they were much less common on the Montreal - Toronto - Windsor main. CP's SD40's aren't exactly exotic save for 5402-5414, but the nose mounted headlights, single rear beam, and the straight steps are all things that Atlas could do, but has not done on countless models. There's hope here, but I remain skeptical until they actually announce a straight SD40.

Still, always good to see something new, and an SD45 is pretty iconic.

Edit: And those sexy EL's  :drool:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 06:39:20 PM by lock4244 »