Author Topic: Atlas SD45's  (Read 16422 times)

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2394
Re: Atlas SD45's
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2022, 08:43:58 AM »
I still don't know what you're talking about.  Are there specifics about this hopper?

https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1673-h220.aspx
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

Tristan Ashcroft

• Crew
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »

samusi01

• Crew
  • Respect: +578
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 08:53:47 AM »
Interesting, and Atlas may have a winner if they can keep production up. If they had done some of the BN predecessors (NP) I’d be more willing to commit. That said, BN 6478 was delivered to BN but was an NP order and should have the four window cab, which the artwork doesn’t depict. The 6478 seems to have kept its four window cab quite late, where others had the outer pair plated over. 

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2022, 08:56:24 AM »
That's a former demo unit.  I might have to get one of they do the EMDX 4351 as it tested on the CGW in '66.

Jason

I’d like EMDX 4351 as well. As with all demo units, they got around.
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2022, 08:58:09 AM »
Just be glad these aren't part of the Atlas Master Plus Line.  They'd probably be $500.  :P

If you don't know what I'm talking about, there's a newly tooled hopper in HO with a MSRP of $83 that has gotten a bit of attention by the HO guys.

Kinda like the newly tooled N scale 3230 cement hopper at $47.95?

Production and transportation costs increase, and that’s compounded by smaller production runs. Nothing changes that unfortunately.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

drgw0579

• Crew
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2022, 09:19:53 AM »
As I understood, any manufacturing delays of electronics (including DCC) are due to unavailability of semiconductor and other components.  Wouldn't that also affect Soundtraxx?  Also, ESU just recently sent bunch of decoders out to the dealers.

Remember SoundTraxx Decoders are completely designed and manufactured in the USA.  So as long as they can design their products to use available components, theoretically the logistics are simpler.  That might mean the decoder installation happens in New Jersey.

About not being able to load specific sound programs in the decoders.   I think I once heard that they felt this was an advantage.  Remember you guys are the "experts" of the hobby.  While many of us have ESU programmers, many of the potential buyers of sound decoders don't want to mess with that. 

Bill Kepner

ridinshotgun

• Crew
  • Respect: +78
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2022, 09:57:04 AM »
Man I really want to place an order for several SP units but no way I am buying anything with a Soundtraxx decoder in it and if it is a 21 pin hookup for the silver series it almost sounds like the chassis may be redesigned and the ESU boards that they made for atlas locos might not fit.  If that is the case I am not sure I want to get any if I am only locked into soundtrax stuff.  ESU or TCS only for me.  Stinks if atlas is doing that.  I hope some clarification comes out on it before the preorder deadline in January.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +866
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2022, 10:35:16 AM »
Man I really want to place an order for several SP units but no way I am buying anything with a Soundtraxx decoder in it and if it is a 21 pin hookup for the silver series it almost sounds like the chassis may be redesigned and the ESU boards that they made for atlas locos might not fit.  If that is the case I am not sure I want to get any if I am only locked into soundtrax stuff.  ESU or TCS only for me.  Stinks if atlas is doing that.  I hope some clarification comes out on it before the preorder deadline in January.

I'm in the same boat as I've pretty much adopted ESU as the standard sound and non-sound decoder on my layout. Hard to get a different decoder to play well with ESU decoders in MU setups, with Drive Hold and where the prime mover notches up. As far as this drive not being set up to accept a drop-in ESU decoder, at least there's the V5 "Nano" that might do the trick.

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2022, 11:23:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat as I've pretty much adopted ESU as the standard sound and non-sound decoder on my layout. Hard to get a different decoder to play well with ESU decoders in MU setups, with Drive Hold and where the prime mover notches up. As far as this drive not being set up to accept a drop-in ESU decoder, at least there's the V5 "Nano" that might do the trick.

There is too much unknown right now to plunk down the cash to find out after I get the units that I am stuck not being able to use an ESU decoder without a whole lot of rework or cobbling stuff together.  And I don't see a whole lot of info coming out before Amherst which is after the order deadline.  This is the proverbial turd in the punchbowl situation!   :(

I wish ESU would produce some boards like FVM had that allow the use of the EUN 59827 or 59828 for non-sound operation since most times at shows (which is where I do almost all my running) sound is at best meh.  Rather just have the choice to to just use a good motor decoder that is easy to install to start with.  But I guess I am hoping for too much.

SirTainly

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2022, 11:53:26 AM »
+1
This is my issue with new loco releases - it's often DC or DCC with Sound. I don't really like the tinny sound from small loco speakers, and when you're in close confines with it at meets/shows etc it gets irritating fast to be standing by an idling loco all day. Also the cost for adding sound in over $100 per loco, which is too much for me for an unwanted feature. I wish there was more choice of non sound DCC, but if not, I'll keep buying DC and doing installs myself.

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +378
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2022, 01:15:23 PM »
Let's not forget GN, simplified and BSB; NP with the NP-specific headlight; CB&Q BN-green with the honking big white stripe and nose safety stripes; NP light package in BN post merger paint; and GN/NP/CB&Q post-merger paint-overs.  Of course, the godawful Gennesse & Wyoming Portland & Western scheme is an option (though not for me).
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1617
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2022, 01:19:43 PM »
Let's not forget GN, simplified and BSB; NP with the NP-specific headlight; CB&Q BN-green with the honking big white stripe and nose safety stripes; NP light package in BN post merger paint; and GN/NP/CB&Q post-merger paint-overs.  Of course, the godawful Gennesse & Wyoming Portland & Western scheme is an option (though not for me).

I'd be less concerned with the nose mounted light than I would be about the 4 window cabs, to be honest.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5222
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2022, 02:19:48 PM »
Remember SoundTraxx Decoders are completely designed and manufactured in the USA.  So as long as they can design their products to use available components, theoretically the logistics are simpler.  That might mean the decoder installation happens in New Jersey.
I bet you those proverbial dollars to donuts that most of the electronic components used on Soundtraxx decoders (or any electronic circuits) come from Asia as unfortunately component manufacturing (just like most other manufacturing) was farmed out there.  So while the decoders can be manufactured in USA, they components they use are of foreign origin, and there have been shortages of components causing production delays worldwide.

About not being able to load specific sound programs in the decoders.   I think I once heard that they felt this was an advantage.  Remember you guys are the "experts" of the hobby.  While many of us have ESU programmers, many of the potential buyers of sound decoders don't want to mess with that. 

Bill Kepner

Well, since most sellers who sell programmable decoders also offer sound file loading service, even modelers with no ability to custom upload sounds can still use those brands of decoders.  No need to mess with anything - the decoder they buy will work just like any non-custom-loadable sound decoder.  That way everybody can have their cake and eat it too.
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5222
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2022, 02:25:38 PM »
Man I really want to place an order for several SP units but no way I am buying anything with a Soundtraxx decoder in it and if it is a 21 pin hookup  . . .

MTC 21 pin connector is 0.540" (13.73mm) wide. Wouldn't that be too wide for a narrow hood N scale loco.
. . . 42 . . .

ridinshotgun

• Crew
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2022, 03:05:16 PM »
MTC 21 pin connector is 0.540" (13.73mm) wide. Wouldn't that be too wide for a narrow hood N scale loco.

They would be but that is why I said that atlas needs to clarify this. Last page someone said that it would not be the 21 pin version but some other soundtrack decoder but they couldn’t provide further info. I still want to know if they can take the ESU decoders that everyone who has purchased atlas locomotives since 2016 have invested in. I am NOT investing in anything Sountraxx after horrible customer service from them and endless problems with their decoders I did try.