Author Topic: Size of MicroTrain 1015 screw  (Read 1583 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5133
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Size of MicroTrain 1015 screw
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2022, 02:32:04 PM »
@peteski - can you recommend a source for that little wonder?

I usually get this type of stuff from either McMaster Carr or MSC Industrial, but you can find them on eBay or probably amazon.  But as I mentioned, I don't remember if it needs to be 82 or 90 degrees for exact match to the screw head.

I have both 82 and 90, and also a 60 degree (all 1/8" diameter) for cleaning axle dimples in truck sideframes.  You can never have enough tools or bits.  :D
https://www.mcmaster.com/countersinks/number-of-flutes~1/material~carbide/
Actually they are now more pricey than I remember (I bough mine years ago - they last forwver when used on soft materials), but even at $15 they are still well worth having.

. . . 42 . . .

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2022, 03:57:06 PM »
I usually get this type of stuff from either McMaster Carr or MSC Industrial, but you can find them on eBay or probably amazon.  But as I mentioned, I don't remember if it needs to be 82 or 90 degrees for exact match to the screw head.

I have both 82 and 90, and also a 60 degree (all 1/8" diameter) for cleaning axle dimples in truck sideframes.  You can never have enough tools or bits.  :D
https://www.mcmaster.com/countersinks/number-of-flutes~1/material~carbide/
Actually they are now more pricey than I remember (I bough mine years ago - they last forwver when used on soft materials), but even at $15 they are still well worth having.

The J I Morris screws linked to earlier are 82°. Ideally the countersink should match the screwhead, so you'd want an 82° countersink. The idea is that the sides of the head are in contact with the whole countersink, rather than just one point on it. None of us are going to get any benefit out of a coated tool. I'm not sure there's much benefit from carbide over HSS either. Carbide is better in a lot of ways, but if we're making chamfers in plastic by hand we don't need those benefits. They're also more expensive and chip more easily. My workbench is usually a mess and a HSS cutter will last longer in that environment than a carbide one will.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5133
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »
The J I Morris screws linked to earlier are 82°. Ideally the countersink should match the screwhead, so you'd want an 82° countersink. The idea is that the sides of the head are in contact with the whole countersink, rather than just one point on it. None of us are going to get any benefit out of a coated tool. I'm not sure there's much benefit from carbide over HSS either. Carbide is better in a lot of ways, but if we're making chamfers in plastic by hand we don't need those benefits. They're also more expensive and chip more easily. My workbench is usually a mess and a HSS cutter will last longer in that environment than a carbide one will.

I agree that HSS will work just fine. The link I provided is for a wide range of countersinks (not just coated ones).  Why TC?  Simply my preference.  I also uses them on metals (no, no hardened steel or glass).  I just think TC will keep the edge longer.  I do break my share of TC PC board drills, but I have never chipped a single-flute countersink, and my workbench is as messy as the next guys (maybe more).  :D 

. . . 42 . . .

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +761
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 05:21:48 PM »
Peteski!  You're my hero!  Your work bench looks like mine!!!!!  :D

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1410
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2022, 02:11:59 AM »
Peteski:  You're right- way too small.  I use a 3/32, when I'm not too tired to see what I'm typing!

I'll edit the original post now.

THANK YOU!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2022, 03:49:42 AM »
I've bought 100s of 00-90 screws on aliexpress for around $5 for 100 shipped.