Author Topic: Another Rapido N Scale Announcement - Barrel Ore Cars  (Read 2559 times)

GonzoCRFan

• Crew
  • Respect: +119
Re: Another Rapido N Scale Announcement - Barrel Ore Cars
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 10:49:03 AM »
Just to satisfy my curiosity, what type of ore did these carry that required protection from the elements?
Sean

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1348
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 12:56:23 PM »
Iron ore pellets. The protection is needed to keep them from freezing together in winter.

cv_acr

• Crew
  • Respect: +130
    • Canadian Freight Railcar Gallery
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 01:47:39 PM »
Given that they were in captive service, I get the sense they had generally captive power too. Are those engines available?

Engines were just normal CN or Ontario Northland power (when on each respective railway's trains). Nothing special.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:51:35 PM by cv_acr »

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »
I've seen something very similar (without a roof) around Iowa in ballast service... Also something similar used as a scale test car..

~Ian

http://canadianfreightcargallery.ca/cgi-bin/image.pl?i=crdx900219&o=crdx

Yes, this was rebuilt from these cars (long car).

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 10:26:13 PM »
Apparently we discussed this exactly 9 years and 11 months ago...
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=28167.msg293817#msg293817

The CP Cars were similar but not the same.

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »

Seems I got my wish :)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1631
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2022, 12:53:16 PM »
Just preordered one each of the ON cars . . .
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

cv_acr

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2022, 03:58:31 PM »

Those cars were built not for iron ore pellets but nickel-copper ore concentrate in slurry (mixed with water) form. They're shorter than even the "short" barrel cars.

Used in captive/dedicated service between Falconbridge mills at Levack (Onaping Falls) and Falconbridge Ontario in the greater Sudbury area. Sudbury was and is a major nickel/copper mining region, and CP served the mining industry extensively in this region.

http://waterlooregionmodelrailwayclub.ca/2022/10/the-sudbury-ore-car-fleet/

Since these cars carried slurry (concentrate/water mix) there was no reason to protect anything from the elements so the twin loading openings in the top didn't actually have hatch covers.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2024, 02:23:32 PM »
+1
So my order arrived yesterday, and my loop of track on a 3'x6' table is enough to hold the train and four GP40-2W's with a carlength or two to spare.

First impression is that the cars are beautiful representations of the prototype, which isn't a shock given how nice the pre-production cars looked. They run well and I only noticed the odd car that has a stiffly rolling wheel, and these can be corrected with a little massaging, and a few trucks were over-tightened and a little turning back on the screw joining the truck to the car solved that. The train rolls well as a unit and only at a very unrealistically high speed did one short barrel car reliably hop an axle (outer axle on the lead truck) off the track at a facing point switch, and it was the same car consistently doing so. At a lower speed this wasn't an issue, nor was it at a realistic operating speed. Not sure why it's doing that, trucks swivel freely and wheels roll well on this car.

The one issue is the couplers on a good number of cars don't exactly recognize center as a thing, so attempting to couple them together isn't something you can accomplish out of the box. Many require assistance to align the knuckles. This isn't doing to be a problem for the most part, being a unit train I don't suspect many will be switching the cars. If you do this will be a fairly annoying issue. I'm wondering if the car that likes to derail a high speed might be related to the misaligned coupler pulling to the side an causing the axles off? It's always the outer axle on the lead truck.

There's a fair amount of squealing from the trucks on the moving train, something I've noted on cars from Atlas and Trainworx in the past with factory metal wheels.

Overall on my loop they're performing well and it's hard to criticize Rapido on this one thus far. It's a very unique train to have offered in N scale and I thank Rapido for doing it. Modeling the general area where the prototype ran and in an era when it was running (last train was in 1989 iirc, and my era is 1987-89), it's kind of a must have... beyond being a very Canadian train from that wonderful era of great optimism and out of the box thinking that was Canadian railroading in the 1960's and 1970's.

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +329
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2024, 03:31:42 PM »
+1
I guess it’s coming up to about one year since I preordered a 6-pack of Ontario Northland barrel ore cars, and they are expected here in the Toronto area imminently. 

However, I just attended the Barrie train show a few hours ago, and one of the vendors had quite a supply of these on his table.  He said that he was in Michigan earlier in the week, and picked them up for resale back here in Ontario.

It’s funny how Rapido is literally just minutes down the road from my house, but deliveries have yet to commence in their own backyard!

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2024, 07:58:15 PM »
It’s funny how Rapido is literally just minutes down the road from my house, but deliveries have yet to commence in their own backyard!

Mine went to Rapido in Markham, Ontario, then to NSS in Colorado, then Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Does seem odd that the Canadian destinations have yet to receive any.

lock4244

• Crew
    • My train pics
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2024, 08:03:15 PM »
One issue I have noticed with the paint is that there as several cars with a small amount of paint that has flaked off. This is on a metal etching they used for the side sill (I think, it's shiny under the paint so assume metal). It seems to have happened in transit, and I hope it doesn't continue.