Author Topic: Another Rapido N Scale Announcement - Barrel Ore Cars  (Read 2558 times)

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
Another Rapido N Scale Announcement - Barrel Ore Cars
« on: November 10, 2022, 07:22:03 PM »
Pop-up announcement today from Rapido, N scale Barrel Ore cars

amato1969

• Crew
  • Respect: +889
Re: Another Rapido N Scale Announcement - Barrel Ore Cars
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 07:28:27 PM »
"The world is running out of helium" love it.  Very cool cars!

Frank

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8974
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 10:16:13 AM »
I get such a kick out of Rapdo's videos, even for stuff that I don't otherwise care about.

I think these are interesting cars for them to do. They definitely lend themselves to the "run a 50 car train" crowd. Given that they were in captive service, I get the sense they had generally captive power too. Are those engines available?

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1348
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 10:21:41 AM »
These are pretty iconic Canadian cars.

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 02:36:17 PM »
I get such a kick out of Rapdo's videos, even for stuff that I don't otherwise care about.

I think these are interesting cars for them to do. They definitely lend themselves to the "run a 50 car train" crowd. Given that they were in captive service, I get the sense they had generally captive power too. Are those engines available?

IM has built both the CN SD40-2 and SD40-2W that they’re pictured behind in some of the photos on the Rapido master class page

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +989
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2022, 10:13:57 AM »
I've seen something very similar (without a roof) around Iowa in ballast service... Also something similar used as a scale test car..

~Ian

kscessandriver

• Crew
  • Respect: +55
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 12:28:14 PM »
I've seen something very similar (without a roof) around Iowa in ballast service... Also something similar used as a scale test car..

~Ian

CN made some into scale test cars after the ore service ended so that’s not surprising if you’ve seen them. Rapids has a good document showing what all they were used for on their website. https://rapidotrains.com/nsc-barrel-ore-hopper-master-class/

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 12:33:49 PM »
Around the 1:10 mark of the video, they mention that some cars were converted into cement and ballast service.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 01:48:59 PM »
Happy for those who need these!

mu26aeh

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 02:00:07 PM »
Happy for those who need these!

Same here, hope for a strong showing and they keep pumping out the N scale.  We'll get the sodium chlorate cars eventually

milw156

• Crew
  • Respect: +226
    • Modutrak
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2022, 07:54:47 PM »
Rapido had samples at Trainfest. Used to see similar cars on Wisconsin Central that had markings indicating Great Slave Lake region, dont think it was the same car but without the roof covers. Not sure if they were being used for ballast or iron ore

Narlie

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »
Rapido had samples at Trainfest. Used to see similar cars on Wisconsin Central that had markings indicating Great Slave Lake region, dont think it was the same car but without the roof covers. Not sure if they were being used for ballast or iron ore

Don 't think the same car; they were yellow in colour a high sided open hopper. Great slake lake railway  ;)was from the pine point iron ore mine that joined the NAR at Roma Junction west of Peace River.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1348
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 03:49:28 PM »
I think Pine Point was a lead-zinc mine and recall the same open hoppers you mention.

Those are great looking models.  We're pretty lucky to have a company like Rapido churning out unique Canadian prototypes.

Narlie

• Crew
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 08:45:57 PM »
I think Pine Point was a lead-zinc mine and recall the same open hoppers you mention.

Those are great looking models.  We're pretty lucky to have a company like Rapido churning out unique Canadian prototypes.
I stand corrected; yes lead zinc. I should have remembered. Saw them in the Dunvegan yards often. The train was so heavy they had to double the hill at Judah( not sure of location)
In the late 60s they only had GP9s and GMD-1s with no dynamic braking. The train was a mix of open gons and the high side yellow hopper cars plus other cars on the back end.
I think the yellow hoppers have been done in O scale.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 08:58:27 PM by Narlie »

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +649
    • My train pics
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 11:19:07 PM »
My era and my model locale. This and the recently announced Procor 5820 covered hoppers will be painful. The sample cars felt pretty heavy, die cast frame will do that I guess, just hope I can actually afford enough to make a reasonable train, lol.