Author Topic: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail  (Read 17176 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2022, 07:03:08 PM »
The green part is definitely a light board considering that the Big Boy's headlight sits on the pilot deck. As to where a drop in decoder goes, I can't tell from the diagram.

That is correct, and it connects directly to the front engine's frame halves.  It definitely is not DCC friendly.
. . . 42 . . .

MetroRedLine

• Crew
  • Respect: +170
    • Union Pacific Vallealmar Subdivision (Facebook Page)
Under the streets of Los Angeles

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2022, 07:23:05 PM »
BOOM:

https://katousa.com/n-bigboy/

Yes, we have been discussing it.  That link you posted (but without the tracking codes) was posted earlier, in Reply #54 to this thread.
. . . 42 . . .

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2022, 07:44:25 PM »
I'd guess the motor leads are a press fit into the frame and you just pull them out.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2022, 08:43:29 PM »
I'd guess the motor leads are a press fit into the frame and you just pull them out.

Yes, but then each motor moves around with each engine, so there will be lots of sloppy wires routed through the loco.  Not sure how much clearance there is in the chassis for those wires. Then there are the headlight wires. Sure, it is doable, but it probably won't be pretty.
. . . 42 . . .

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1202
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2022, 09:20:52 PM »
Yes, but then each motor moves around with each engine, so there will be lots of sloppy wires routed through the loco.

I don't think so.  I looks like there are spring wipers inside the frame on either side of the motors both front and back so the motor can rotate while still making contact.

Then there are the headlight wires. Sure, it is doable, but it probably won't be pretty.

The headlight looks like a lightboard fitted to the frame.

Jason

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +242
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2022, 09:41:12 PM »
looking at that parts diagram and being way too familiar with Kato design, it *appears* that the individual truck assemblies (the articulated trucks) are isolated electrically from the upper frame and there are contacts to go from the motor assemblies to the upper frame.  (which is good because the motors are then isolated from the pickup frames unlike the HO P42's.)

The front light is it's on separate (small) PCB that appears to just clip into the front frame/articulated truck.  for independent headlight control that will have to be isolated.  (unless if I'm missing something here)

The tender appears to either be reusing the same tooling (I don't have one right here to verify molding numbers) as the FEF3 so no biggie there.  You can fit a V5 or micro and sugar cube in there.

Of course, they committed themselves to Soundtraxx and DCC (I'm guessing Digitrax provided) versions, so I'm hoping there was some forethought into *how* to install aftermarket DCC into these.

That said, the engineers at the factory have been known to throw modelers a bone and make sure there are recesses for wires and run throughs, which I hope they did on this as these will be interesting to install even basic DCC in.

In either case, I'll figure out how to shoehorn ESU LokSound into these.  :)

Enjoy!

Kelley.
www.dufordmodelworks.com

sundowner

• Crew
  • Respect: +124
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2022, 09:53:02 PM »
It will probably have a kato decoder like the GS4.
Which ever side of the track I am on is the right side.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2022, 11:56:46 PM »
looking at that parts diagram and being way too familiar with Kato design, it *appears* that the individual truck assemblies (the articulated trucks) are isolated electrically from the upper frame and there are contacts to go from the motor assemblies to the upper frame.  (which is good because the motors are then isolated from the pickup frames unlike the HO P42's.)

www.dufordmodelworks.com

Few things don't add up to me.

First the motor contacts shown in that drawing are located under the motor, like they contact the bottom of the motor cavity in engine's sub-frame, or "truck" as Kelly calls it).

Then if the long frame in the boiler was just for motor electrical connection, how does the track pickup take place?  Each engine picks up power from all its wheels through the engine frames. How would the front and rear engine be electrically connected (and then all of that connected to the drawbar)?

I still think that each engine's frame is fully self contained. If you removed them from the loco, each engine woudl be able to run by itself when placed on track.

I agree that the headlight gets is power from the front engine's frames. On the other end the drawbar is likely snapped onto a pivot on the rear engine,and also connected electrically to that engine's frames. Then the long frame on the top of the boiler electrically and mechanically connects both engines (with their integral motors) together so all the driving wheels, and tender wheels pickup electricity. 
. . . 42 . . .

nightmare0331

• Crew
  • Respect: +242
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2022, 12:23:25 AM »
Few things don't add up to me.

First the motor contacts shown in that drawing are located under the motor, like they contact the bottom of the motor cavity in engine's sub-frame, or "truck" as Kelly calls it).

Then if the long frame in the boiler was just for motor electrical connection, how does the track pickup take place?  Each engine picks up power from all its wheels through the engine frames. How would the front and rear engine be electrically connected (and then all of that connected to the drawbar)?

I still think that each engine's frame is fully self contained. If you removed them from the loco, each engine woudl be able to run by itself when placed on track.

I agree that the headlight gets is power from the front engine's frames. On the other end the drawbar is likely snapped onto a pivot on the rear engine,and also connected electrically to that engine's frames. Then the long frame on the top of the boiler electrically and mechanically connects both engines (with their integral motors) together so all the driving wheels, and tender wheels pickup electricity.

These are certainly points to be figured out.

I'm merely speculating based on what I see.  My observation looking at the 'mount' and motor harnesses is that those green wires are contacts to the upper frame halves.  Whether or not the coreless motor tabs are electrically isolated from the lower frame halves (articulated trucks for lack of a better term) remains to be seen.  This could go either way as the HO P42 was directly to the truck frames so they were self contained (and a pain to convert to DCC).

I'm guessing somehow the front and rear trucks are connected electrically with the drawbar and tender pickup.  I could be wrong though.

It certainly wouldn't be the first time in recent memory that Kato has decided to not make DCC installation easy although they slooooowly seem to be adapting.  I've gone more than a few rounds with Hiroshi over this topic multiple times and have gray hair to prove it.

Will be interesting to see one without the body on.  There has to be a way to install DCC and or DCC/Sound with minimal rework or they will have shot their 'in house' installers in the foot.

Enjoy!

Kelley.

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +865
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2022, 01:01:11 AM »
The Kato page above says it can negotiate 11" curves. Damn!

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2022, 01:16:52 AM »
I just saw this in my inbox tonight. I looked at the parts diagram and said some expletives  :D It would take me days to put that back together!!!
So whoever buys it DON'T bloody drop it!
Beautifully crafted - I'm glad I don't model UP and don't want or need it having said that why am I buying UP Gas Turbines  :o

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2022, 02:28:28 AM »
Those tabs on the motors look just like they do on the C12:
https://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/015/879/26/N000/000/002/143746602915208024179.jpg
Above the rear driver they fit into slots on the frame. Pull them out and it is now DCC ready.

bobdobbs

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2022, 02:49:08 AM »
+1
[

Spruslayer

• Crew
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2022, 10:27:09 AM »
Pardon me if I'm just merely looking at the diagrams too hard, but I dont see where the decoder(s) go in this thing.

Unless I'm missing something, as the tender looks just like the FEF did and empty. I'm assuming the green board on the Big Boy is the same relevance as the DC board for the FEF possibly? But that would make speakers a nightmare to run wires to. Maybe its going to be a hardwire? Seems so backwards.

FEF Diagram:
https://katousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/N-parts-FEF.pdf

Big Boy Diagram:
https://katousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/N-parts-BigBoy.pdf
Where are you finding the parts diagrams,i would like to have explodedveiws of other Kato Locos like f7s,RSC-2s and others.
Hold my juice box!