Author Topic: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail  (Read 17183 times)

drbnc

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail
« on: November 04, 2022, 06:38:51 AM »
+3
Saw this early today... pre-production.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:15:29 PM by GaryHinshaw »

GhengisKong

• Crew
  • Respect: +86
Re: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 07:45:42 AM »
+1
Fingers crossed that 4018 is one of the numbers being released!

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 10:06:54 AM »
+2
Looks pretty good. Typical Kato design.  The "separately applied glued-on details crowd" will not be impressed.  Hey, then can have their Athearns (or BLI eventually). It will likely run like a typical Kato too (a good thing).  If it really has 2 motors (like mentioned in the initial announcement), that might get a bit odd (for DCC installs).
. . . 42 . . .

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 10:08:28 AM »
+1
Looks pretty good. Typical Kato design.  The "separately applied glued-on details crowd" will not be impressed.  Hey, then can have their Athearns (or BLI eventually). It will likely run like a typical Kato too (a good thing).  If it really has 2 motors (like mentioned in the initial announcement), that might get a bit odd (for DCC installs).

Lol, it's funny, I was actually about to say "look at Kato rocking the old school molded on details"  :D

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +734
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:34:03 AM »
+1
Sure hope the hand rails are not apply by modeler like the Mikado was. There'll be stanchions all over the carpet to jab bare feet if so.

Love the clear tie track.
Peter Pfotenhauer

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1443
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 12:45:35 PM »
Looks like Mr. Kato decided to produce this as only the 4014, with the Challenger oil tender with its modern safety appliances, no ashpans under the firebox, dual dynamos up top and what looks like an antenna on the the center-rear of the cab top. 

If this is the only Big Boy they produce, and past Kato marketing practices indicate it WILL be, I'll not be buying a couple for my transition era UP layout.

On the good side, I can see that the pilot handrails have the lower diagonal brace...which Athearn decided not to do..., the steam blow-off valves up on top look like real brass.  Now, if the throttle assembly on the engineer's side is separate, that will be a good thing.  Side-rod and valve gear all look very nice, with blackened tires on the drivers and nickel plated cylinder/valve covers.  Very nice.

The guy who designs the smokeboxes on both the Kato FEF and this Big Boy would benefit greatly from forgetting about saving a buck or two and specify separate piping for most of it.  I notice that there isn't any piping up by where the whistle will go, so hopefully, at least those pipes will be separate.

I think the rumor about dual motors is fallacious.  I haven't heard any corroboration of the rumor yet, and if it were actually going to happen, I would think it would be leaked.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to comparing the Kato 4014 with BLI's version...at least BLI is offering transition era models, which if Kato doesn't do that, I think it's a HUGE marketing error.

But, oh well....

Cheerio!!
Bob Gilmore

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 01:00:58 PM »
+1
        Yes as Bob has posted, it will probably be the only road number available right now and it does have the modern Oil Tender. I hope that sometime in the future KATO would do a coal tender and add new numbers , but I doubt this as the tender is probably the same one used on the 844 with the modern bunker. Nate Goodman. (Nato). However the model does look good.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 01:12:33 PM »
Kato released the CAD drawings showing 2 motors.

Bill H

• Crew
  • Respect: +150
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »
+1
Chris;
Interesting. Wonder why they did that. The Bachmann 2-8-8-4 EM1, perhaps considered a better runner than the holy grail Kato Mike, only used one motor. Pulls like a Mack, and silent to boot. Really curious to the engineering logic.

Kind regards,
Bill

Bill H

• Crew
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »
Anyway, I'm looking forward to comparing the Kato 4014 with BLI's version...at least BLI is offering transition era models, which if Kato doesn't do that, I think it's a HUGE marketing error.
Cheerio!!
Bob Gilmore
Bob;
What is this "transition era" you keep talking about? I haven't heard a manufacturer seriously address that "era" in some time. On the other hand, it keeps my bank account from shrinking... With a smile.
Kind regards,
Bill

Erock482

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 03:12:23 PM »
+1
Bob;
What is this "transition era" you keep talking about? I haven't heard a manufacturer seriously address that "era" in some time. On the other hand, it keeps my bank account from shrinking... With a smile.
Kind regards,
Bill

Bill, I believe by "Transition Era" He means end of mainline steam use here in the US. so basically the "As Retired" Look and appliances as opposed to the now modernized for current operation version.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5640
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 03:59:52 PM »
+2
Here is the 2 motor CAD drawing from Kato:
https://www.facebook.com/officialkatousainc/photos/4788850907850555/
It was shown some time ago and I'm sure there are better photos of it out there.

I'm sure they are the coreless motors that Kato has been using so both of them probably draw less power than a regular N scale diesel.

Bill H

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 04:09:33 PM »
Bill, I believe by "Transition Era" He means end of mainline steam use here in the US. so basically the "As Retired" Look and appliances as opposed to the now modernized for current operation version.
Was just subtly joking about "transition era" with Bob, as we both model that era and often lament the lack of attention given to the era by manufacturers of late. Hence the "with a smile" phrase.
Kind regards,
Bill

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 06:09:01 PM »
+1
Chris;
Interesting. Wonder why they did that. The Bachmann 2-8-8-4 EM1, perhaps considered a better runner than the holy grail Kato Mike, only used one motor. Pulls like a Mack, and silent to boot. Really curious to the engineering logic.

Kind regards,
Bill

AFAIK, all the other articulated steam N scale models (both plastic and brass) use single motor.  Why Kato  did it?  Most likely reason is because they have those small powerful coreless motors which can be mounted directly in each engine, making the design simpler. No universals or drive shafts.  Also, possibly just to be the first company to have done that in N scale.

I recall that @robert3985 was all excited about dual motor announcement (back when the preliminary announcement was made some time ago)  because of the possibility that the engines will go in and out of sync.  I doubt that will happen since I do not expect any wheel slippage in N scale. Especially if they will have traction tires.  Also, the slippage thing pretty much only benefit sound-equipped models (who will really notice the small drivers slipping?), but that would also require using 2 separate sound decoders and a chuff cam.  Way too much trouble IMO.
. . . 42 . . .

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2263
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 08:35:32 PM »
With 2 motors they can have independent chuffing that is in sync with each other at times . Smaller diameter motors feed only 8 drivers each . Each motor driver set can be assembled and tested independently which may be liked by KATO . U18B may differ . I have one on pre-order . 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 08:49:03 PM by up1950s »

Richie Dost