Author Topic: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail  (Read 17166 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5202
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: Kato BigBoy pic - large screen cap for detail
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2023, 01:02:23 PM »
     I do not know why then last month I received a notice from KATO that the item I had reserved was shipping and then a notice from UPS that a package had been sent to me. Pretty sure I ordered either a DCC Big Boy or one with sound. I have never received a package from KATO. Go figure. Thanks ! Nate Goodman. (Nato).

When UPS sends you shipping notice, isn't the tracking number included?  If so, you could track the package.  Also, if you ordered directly from Kato, don't you have Kato order number?  You could just call Kato to resolve the mystery.

Back in January-February there was also some confusion about Big Boys from Athearn and BLI, you ordered from Hogz.
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=55480.msg762287#msg762287
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=55322.msg762176#msg762176
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=55322.msg762067#msg762067
https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=55322.msg762047#msg762047
. . . 42 . . .

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2023, 07:54:39 PM »
My Kato Big Boy arrived in the mail today, but I will likely not able to do any extensive disassembly until the weekend.
One thing that looks odd to me is the rather shiny finish. Not glossy, but not satin either. But the recently rebuilt real 4014 does have a similar sheen.  The smoke box seems too silver. Maybe it looked like that fresh out of the shop.
. . . 42 . . .

pmpexpress

• Crew
  • Respect: +136
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #122 on: June 08, 2023, 04:37:25 PM »
My Kato Big Boy arrived in the mail today, but I will likely not able to do any extensive disassembly until the weekend.
One thing that looks odd to me is the rather shiny finish. Not glossy, but not satin either. But the recently rebuilt real 4014 does have a similar sheen.  The smoke box seems too silver. Maybe it looked like that fresh out of the shop.

Looking forward to your product review.

Are you planning on installing aftermarket dcc sound?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #123 on: June 08, 2023, 05:23:56 PM »
+7
Looking forward to your product review.

Are you planning on installing aftermarket dcc sound?

Yes, I'm thinking about it.  I have very little hobby time until the second half of the upcoming weekend, but like a drug addict, last night I couldn't stop myself from sneaking into my workshop for about 30 minutes, and peeking into the model.

Not fully disassembled yet. Like most large steam loco models, it's like a complex Chinese Japanese puzzle! Lots of  hidden latches and screws which all have to be dealt with in a specific sequence.  While by now I fully expect it from Kato, I'm still amazed at the fine quality and detail of the molded parts, and their perfect fit. Everything snaps together without any glue.  It should be even more fun trying to reassemble it.  :)

Quick test run (on a piece of track) showed that the mechanism is very smooth and the flywheels work really well. While Kato did add some channels for wires in the frame halves, it is not very DCC-friendly, with two articulated motors, and the headlight way out on the pilot.
. . . 42 . . .

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #124 on: June 08, 2023, 06:42:19 PM »
Yes, I'm thinking about it.  I have very little hobby time until the second half of the upcoming weekend, but like a drug addict, last night I couldn't stop myself from sneaking into my workshop for about 30 minutes, and peeking into the model.

Not fully disassembled yet. Like most large steam loco models, it's like a complex Chinese Japanese puzzle! Lots of  hidden latches and screws which all have to be dealt with in a specific sequence.  While by now I fully expect it from Kato, I'm still amazed at the fine quality and detail of the molded parts, and their perfect fit. Everything snaps together without any glue.  It should be even more fun trying to reassemble it.  :)

Quick test run (on a piece of track) showed that the mechanism is very smooth and the flywheels work really well. While Kato did add some channels for wires in the frame halves, it is not very DCC-friendly, with two articulated motors, and the headlight way out on the pilot.

Wow, in about thirty minutes you got much further along than I would expected.

The reason for the question is I am on the fence on whether to purchase the DCC ready version, or hold out for one with factory installed sound.

Given your DCC expertise, I was wondering what advantages there are in using an aftermarket buyer installed sound decoder?

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2023, 08:35:33 PM »
+2
Wow, in about thirty minutes you got much further along than I would expected.

The reason for the question is I am on the fence on whether to purchase the DCC ready version, or hold out for one with factory installed sound.

Given your DCC expertise, I was wondering what advantages there are in using an aftermarket buyer installed sound decoder?

I would argue that "DCC ready" is not very good description for the DC version.  I would cal it DCC unfriendly (for an average modeler).

If by aftermarket you mean DYI install, the advantage is that you can choose the brand of decoder you like.  With Kato factory-installed DCC you are limited to whatever decoder brand they use (since Kato doesn't make their own decoders).  They will be using Soundreaxx decoder in this model.

I don't know how skilled you are in DCC installs, but from what learned so far, this model IMO is not going to be the easiest to convert to DCC (even the disassembly is quite complicated).
. . . 42 . . .

pmpexpress

• Crew
    • Trains N Scale
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2023, 11:20:33 PM »
+1
I would argue that "DCC ready" is not very good description for the DC version.  I would cal it DCC unfriendly (for an average modeler).

If by aftermarket you mean DYI install, the advantage is that you can choose the brand of decoder you like.  With Kato factory-installed DCC you are limited to whatever decoder brand they use (since Kato doesn't make their own decoders).  They will be using Soundreaxx decoder in this model.

I don't know how skilled you are in DCC installs, but from what learned so far, this model IMO is not going to be the easiest to convert to DCC (even the disassembly is quite complicated).

Not skilled in DCC installations, based upon your comments and photo of a partially disassembled Kato Big Boy, I'm going to pass on the DCC unfriendly version a wait until the factory sound equipped models arrive.

Thanks for your candid response.

kiwi_al

• Crew
  • Respect: +403
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2023, 01:24:57 AM »
+1
Well Pete you are becoming The Railwires version of Victor Miranda!  :D :D
We'll have to drop the Peteski and rename you to something like Peteskiranda  :D :D

MK

• Crew
  • Respect: +764
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2023, 10:05:25 AM »
+2
@peteski too bad you are not in Japan around the end of this month.

We are planning a vacation to Japan this Fall and my one requisite is to visit Kato Japan at their Hobby Center in Tokyo.  While snooping around yesterday to figure out location, opening times, etc. I stumbled upon a special event they are having.  A two-day event to assemble your own Big Boy to take home!   :o  Includes "special tweezers" (hmmm, what is this for?) for assembly and a factory tour of where it is made.  You will be guided by the factory manager on how to assemble it.

Not cheap (110,000 Yen which is about $788 USD but you get a $400 loco to take home) for the event but oh boy the total immersive experience!    :lol:

(You may have to tell your browser to translate to English)
https://www.hobbycenterkato.com/news-1/%E6%8C%91%E6%88%A6%E8%80%85%E6%B1%82%E3%82%80%EF%BC%81bigboy%E7%B5%84%E7%AB%8B%E9%81%93%E5%A0%B4%EF%BC%81
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:12:55 AM by MK »

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2023, 09:32:09 PM »
I'm going to start a GoFundMe so I can take that trip... Anyone wanna chip in? I currently have.... $0 toward my goal.
 :D
I did receive mine today and I don't remember seeing it this glossy back when it was in Jefferson City. I don't dare try and weather it though.
One thing I'm curious about though, I've seen the second set of drivers (firebox) stop moving and the entire locomotive grinds to a halt even while the pilot drivers are still spinning.
Has anyone else seen this yet?
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2023, 09:42:25 PM »
+1
I'm going to start a GoFundMe so I can take that trip... Anyone wanna chip in? I currently have.... $0 toward my goal.
 :D
I did receive mine today and I don't remember seeing it this glossy back when it was in Jefferson City. I don't dare try and weather it though.
One thing I'm curious about though, I've seen the second set of drivers (firebox) stop moving and the entire locomotive grinds to a halt even while the pilot drivers are still spinning.
Has anyone else seen this yet?

Each powered 4-axle set is called an "engine"  There is front engine (right behind the leading or pilot truck), and the rear engine is right behind that (and right in front of the trailign truck).

The careful design of each engine is such that most of the weight that each engine support is over the traction-tire driver.  I guess if one of the engines stalls, it will bring the loco to a halt, even if the other engine is still running.  Each engine picks up power through all the drivers, and the locos frames connects both engines electrically. You describe a problem with the rear engine which is likely caused by either mechanical bind, or the rear engine's motor feed wires getting disconnected from the frame.

Curious about what do you have to do to make the loco run again? Also, how often does that happen?
. . . 42 . . .

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2023, 09:52:55 PM »
@peteski thanks for the heads up. Definitely did not know that they were called engines...  :facepalm:

Honestly I'm not 100% sure if this is caused by the superelevated curves that I have but I'm sure it could be.
Since it's DC I just lower the voltage and ramp it up relatively quickly. That so far has worked. Another time I sent out a slower locomotive to bump it and that has worked too.
I'll add that it's only ran on the outer loop which is equivalent to 15" radius.
I really only bought this as kind of a display since it is way out of my era, and saw it in person. So it probably won't ever see the rails that often.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2023, 10:26:15 PM »
@peteski thanks for the heads up. Definitely did not know that they were called engines...  :facepalm:

Honestly I'm not 100% sure if this is caused by the superelevated curves that I have but I'm sure it could be.
Since it's DC I just lower the voltage and ramp it up relatively quickly. That so far has worked. Another time I sent out a slower locomotive to bump it and that has worked too.
I'll add that it's only ran on the outer loop which is equivalent to 15" radius.
I really only bought this as kind of a display since it is way out of my era, and saw it in person. So it probably won't ever see the rails that often.

That is odd (especially for Kato, since I suspect they did some serious testing of this all-new design mechanism before the production run).  It is actually designed to run on Kato Unitrack's tight curves (and I assume their super-elevated curves).  To be honest, this is probably the first ever mass produced N scale articulated steam engine using this type of dual-motor mechanism, so it is all new to me too.
. . . 42 . . .

woodone

• Crew
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2023, 02:48:09 PM »
Well I will soon see how difficult a sound install is. I have one on its way to me. Going with an SoundTraxx decoder.
Hope to see the loco soon.

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #134 on: June 25, 2023, 03:41:08 PM »
Well I will soon see how difficult a sound install is. I have one on its way to me. Going with an SoundTraxx decoder.
Hope to see the loco soon.

We'll see how you approach this - I have a a plan too.  :D
. . . 42 . . .