Author Topic: N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)  (Read 30340 times)

Maletrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +595
Re: N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2024, 06:16:44 PM »
They don't look that hard to assemble, but I have not seen a picture of the parts separated.

Turbowhiz, I see from the pictures of the packages that there is an assembly instruction sheet.

Would you post that here or post a link to it so that we can see what is involved?

I am thinking you could get more product out the door faster if we do the assembly after purchase.

And I will probably want them in BULK if they work as well as I think they will.  (I am a little concerned about uncoupling them - or rather, visiting operators trying to uncouple them.)

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +250
    • N-Possible
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2024, 07:58:30 PM »
+3
Will the Scalebox versions also come with an extended draft gear for cushioned underframes, to retrofit cars once the couplers are body mounted?

At launch, just one style of box. Now if you're modeling modern end of car cushioning devices, its typically just a matter of using a long shank coupler to achieve the right look... The draft gear is typically itself is not extending but rather the coupler shank itself. My couplers are rigid and won't easily slip even in configurations like this, so this doesn't create operational problems.

Although not exclusively so, the purpose of shank lengths in the product line is principally for modeling reasons.

If the end of car cushioning devices consisted of extending the draft gear itself, or sliding sill type cushioning devices, as found in earlier prototypes then yes, an extended box is desirable. I have years of ideas... But I need to get day 1 out the door first! :) In time, if things are successful, absolutely I will consider an "extended box" type of option.

Prototypically accurate coupler modeling... It’s going to be a thing!

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2024, 08:08:34 PM »
If the end of car cushioning devices consisted of extending the draft gear itself, or sliding sill type cushioning devices, as found in earlier prototypes then yes, an extended box is desirable. I have years of ideas... But I need to get day 1 out the door first! :) In time, if things are successful, absolutely I will consider an "extended box" type of option.

Glad to hear you are considering this - this is a gaping hole in the N scale world.

Mark

Jbub

• Crew
  • HP 9999
  • Respect: +582
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2024, 11:09:54 PM »
I'm excited for the release of these, Andrew! It seems like you'll have these available to the public just after I'm done with my degree so I'll be able to devote some time to converting my fleet.

Yay for prototypical coupler modeling!
"Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!"

Darth Vader

Jimbo

• Crew
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #214 on: July 11, 2024, 09:06:42 PM »
@turbowhiz  - may I make a suggestion?

Once production is up and running, may I suggest that you recruit some skilled modelers who are willing to put some photo tutorials together on how to perform some of the installation variations?  (Especially some of the older models that don’t use the standard coupler mounting - looking at you, Bach-person!  Looking at you too, Kay-doh!)

This would be instrumental in getting modelers with less experience the confidence that we could convert our fleets, making adoption of your couplers less of a risk.  Pay them with product and I’m sure you’ll get many volunteers.

MTL used to have great instructions and specialized kits for conversions, especially locomotives.  This helped me immensely when I made the plunge to convert over to MTL couplers from rapido style many years ago.  Similarly, I was less intimidated by DCC conversions with the instructions developed by others and posted on manufacturers’ websites, helping me to make the plunge there, too.

Thank you for bringing what appears to be a terrific product to market; I’m eager to try them out!

Jim

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3508
« Reply #215 on: July 12, 2024, 03:24:19 AM »
What is going to be the means of distribution, besides ordering direct from your website ?  Any thoughts to trying to get into hobby shops ?

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1009
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #216 on: July 12, 2024, 11:50:49 AM »
@turbowhiz  - may I make a suggestion?

Once production is up and running, may I suggest that you recruit some skilled modelers who are willing to put some photo tutorials together on how to perform some of the installation variations?  (Especially some of the older models that don’t use the standard coupler mounting - looking at you, Bach-person!  Looking at you too, Kay-doh!)

This would be instrumental in getting modelers with less experience the confidence that we could convert our fleets, making adoption of your couplers less of a risk.  Pay them with product and I’m sure you’ll get many volunteers.

Jim

I was planning on doing some videos on these couplers.. but my channel is by no means high profile, nor are the videos professional.. :)

What is going to be the means of distribution, besides ordering direct from your website ?  Any thoughts to trying to get into hobby shops ?

I messaged him about setting up Caboose Stop as a dealer, but haven't heard back.. (I'm sure he is busy).

But we don't have an on line store.. just the youtube channel.

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2024, 02:12:41 PM »

Prototypically accurate coupler modeling... It’s going to be a thing!

I'm looking for more of the earlier types, but shouldn't be too difficult for the modeler, ie me, to make the extended box for cars that need it.

Wolf N Works

• Crew
  • Respect: +82
« Reply #218 on: September 04, 2024, 04:16:32 PM »
+3
Latest from a email today (thought I would share to all that may be interested)

A new generation of couplers for discerning N scale modelers

Come see our couplers in Altoona!

We will be at the AAMR N Scale weekend in Altoona PA Sept 14th and 15th, so if you are in the area come see us there!

Things are still on track for a fall launch. We should be receiving the last of our production components to begin packaging in the next couple of weeks. I just wrapped up testing of our spec spring which was the last supplier component to arrive. Assembly is easier and coupling and uncoupling performance is enhanced from what I demonstrated in Bethlehem. I'm excited to show off how the production product works in person!

Some highlights of the N-Possible Scale Coupler:

Highly detailed prototypical appearance, truly to scale
Ultra-low force automatic coupling allowing for scale speed switching ops
Available in universal retrofit versions for easy “drop in” installation in almost every factory body mount application, or with “scale box” draft gear boxes for complete replacement scenarios
Spring is retained on the coupler assembly, allowing for easy installation into car integrated boxes
Slip resistant, will not pull apart on uneven trackwork despite a scale head size
Stays aligned under buff for reliable reverse movements and DPU/helper operation
3 different shank lengths available allowing for prototypically appropriate coupler configurations regardless of factory box configuration
 Available in spring mounted/assembled versions or as kits
 And of course, no slinky effect!

Its been a real journey to get this off the ground, and I can't wait to see what everyone does with these once we get them in your hands. See you in Altoona!

Andrew

Contact Us

N Possible Round
YouTube
N-Possible

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1456
    • Modutrak
« Reply #219 on: September 04, 2024, 04:39:46 PM »
+5
Man, I haven't been this excited since FVM cracked the metal wheel sets in N.  Couplers are step 2.  (Turnouts are step 3)

Of all the ideas floated, including the Charlie Vlk coupler and the DKS coupler, this seems to be the first to get through testing and manufacturability and LOOKS GOOD.

Everyone in the world has good ideas.  Execution is the real mark of success. 

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #220 on: September 04, 2024, 05:11:48 PM »
Man, I haven't been this excited since FVM cracked the metal wheel sets in N.  Couplers are step 2.  (Turnouts are step 3)

Preach it!  Me too.

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +250
    • N-Possible
« Reply #221 on: September 04, 2024, 05:14:06 PM »
+14
Hope to meet more of you from here at Altoona!

Here are the images from the email I sent to my list:

The pilot coupler on the Bachmann consolidation is fully functional, and although its not exactly a drop in install I'd say its way easier then hacking in any other traditional coupler. That consolidation has a story but that's for another day. It turned out to be more helpful in the development of these couplers then I anticipated when I found it broken in an estate sale.

Some of the couplers are weathered and don't come in that form (the rusty looking ones). But its a task easily accomplished, and the results speak for themselves, there is no photo trickery going on here. And they work every bit as good as they look.

The spring was the last supplier component to fall into place, even though I'd sourced it first. Quality is top notch as it needs to be, my tolerances for this project are pretty crazy.

Andrew

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #222 on: September 04, 2024, 05:19:53 PM »
+1
Hubba
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

jwaldo

• Crew
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #223 on: September 04, 2024, 07:08:32 PM »
It makes me sad, thinking of all the poor Micro-Trains couplers who are about to be out of a job. And that's just in my fleet.

thomasjmdavis

• Crew
  • Respect: +1081
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2024, 08:20:35 PM »
+1
It makes me sad, thinking of all the poor Micro-Trains couplers who are about to be out of a job. And that's just in my fleet.
Now you can sell them on eBay for $5/pair as "vintage".
Tom D.

I have a mind like a steel trap...a VERY rusty, old steel trap.