Author Topic: N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)  (Read 30322 times)

Rasputen

• Crew
  • Respect: +296
Re: N-Possible Coupler Announcement (Nashville 2022)
« Reply #195 on: June 25, 2024, 01:50:30 PM »
+1

Automatic coupling is very spotty at best… High force needed, and making a joint is very hit and miss. My medium and long shank couplers are more likely to automatically couple then the short shank couplers.

I assume this is referring to coupling an N-possible coupler with something else??

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2024, 02:30:39 PM »
Just because they couple doesn’t mean they’re going to be acceptably reliable. I’m not claiming any compatibility with existent overscale couplers, even though as has been mentioned here they actually do functionally couple to some existent overscale designs. I’d known about the ScaleTrains “working” for a while, but the Accumates were a surprise. You can work them into a coupled state with Kato and conventional MTL couplers too.

No no no, I saw you jam your coupler head into the other coupler once. That means they'll work reliably EVERY TIME now. Or else I'll just complain about it on the internet every day.

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2024, 02:47:32 PM »
Is this like the coupler version of Docking?

Please for the love of all that is holy don't Google that  :trollface:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 02:49:20 PM by Missaberoad »
The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

turbowhiz

• Crew
  • https://n-possible.com
  • Respect: +250
    • N-Possible
« Reply #198 on: June 25, 2024, 05:45:13 PM »
+5
Will you guys have a height gauge and conversion list?

My "ScaleBox" coupler mounts right into a 1055 gauge at the right height (by design). The centerline is NMRA (MTL) spec for my design as well.

Its good practice to check the height of the car before conversion with a standard 1055, since if its off before conversion it will still be off after.

I will publish a conversion guide list, but it’s going to take some time to fully flush out. Ultimately it works out to if you're installing into an existing box or performing a complete box replacement. The shank length is largely but not always a cosmetic consideration.

The general guidance is:

Locomotives, even with separate boxes, use the universal conversion and the factory box. The freight car modeled "ScaleBox" doesn't suit locomotives well cosmetically. (For Kato locomotives use the lower half of a 1015/2004 box omitting the top and file off the top interfaces, installing the N possible splitter shim in the bottom. It fits absolutely perfectly, no need to cut the pilot at all and use the Kato clip. I will come out with dedicated Kato box at some point, but you’re covered at launch with this approach.)

Factory integrated boxes in freight cars, use the universal conversion. No pins needed, so fits Athearn and others without pin slots.
Separate boxes on cars, use the "ScaleBox"
truck mount to body mount, use the "ScaleBox"
truck mount maintaining the truck mount use the universal conversion (body mounting is preferred, but it’s an option)

turbowhiz

• Crew
    • N-Possible
« Reply #199 on: June 25, 2024, 05:54:22 PM »
+2
I assume this is referring to coupling an N-possible coupler with something else??

Yes... N-Possible - N-Possible have low force automatic coupling that is just as good as traditional MTL couplers if not better. All other designs and generally the MTL clones aren't even close to MTL in this respect. But mine don't slink!

Andrew

Mark5

• Crew
  • Always with the negative waves Moriarty ...
  • Respect: +592
« Reply #200 on: June 25, 2024, 06:02:56 PM »
Looking good - once these are obtainable I plan to pick some up to "play" with.  8)

Also looking forward to seeing how these look and act on diesel loco pilots.

Mark

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1728
« Reply #201 on: June 26, 2024, 11:55:15 AM »
+1
... once these are obtainable ...

@turbowhiz any ETA for general availability?

TIA,
Ed

turbowhiz

• Crew
    • N-Possible
« Reply #202 on: June 26, 2024, 08:46:22 PM »
+2
@turbowhiz any ETA for general availability?

TIA,
Ed

If things stay on track, this fall...

At this point I'm optimistic things will stay on schedule, but I've been very wrong about that before too. The adapter shims took much longer then expected to sort.

Andrew

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1009
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #203 on: June 26, 2024, 10:14:28 PM »
For those who rode the TSC craze, I'm guessing these will work with TSC couplers fairly well..

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2024, 06:46:18 AM »
Are these couplers offered assembled or as kits?

turbowhiz

• Crew
    • N-Possible
« Reply #205 on: June 27, 2024, 11:46:21 AM »
+2
For those who rode the TSC craze, I'm guessing these will work with TSC couplers fairly well..

Yes, they're perfectly compatible with TSC's. TSC's do live up to their name, they are truly scale as well.

turbowhiz

• Crew
    • N-Possible
« Reply #206 on: June 27, 2024, 01:49:07 PM »
+8
Are these couplers offered assembled or as kits?

Both.

The spring is retained on the coupler assembly; Its part of my (Patent) mechanical design, but also radically simplifies installation into rolling stock with integrated factory boxes in particular, or assembling the coupler into separate boxes too. All around massively easier to work with then traditional MTL/Clone couplers.

The product line consists of 3 shank lengths, further divided into either my "Scalebox" version or the universal retrofit version. The couplers themselves are identical in both versions.

The "Scalebox" is for complete box replacement scenarios, targeted at freight rolling stock. For cars that come with a completely separate box assembly, i.e. almost all MTL cars, FVM cars for example. Or truck mount-body mount conversions. It’s easier to replace the entire box in these scenarios, and my box looks radically better than a MTL box on a freight car.

The universal Retrofit version fits into existing boxes. Doesn't matter if the box is a separate part, or integrated into the model. This is applicable to factory body mount models that have an integrated box; Pretty much any modern tooled freight car released now, including MTL. It’s also desirable to use this version rather than the “ScaleBox” for locomotive conversions; Locomotives typically have a separate "1015" type box, and replacing that with a freight car modeled box doesn't look great. You can do in place truck mount conversions too.

“Scalebox” assembled parts are coupler assemblies installed into the box, ready to screw onto a model. The box fits a 1015 outline. If you have a 1016, use my long shank ScaleBox and it will fit that outline.

Universal retrofit assembled parts are coupler assemblies with the spring mounted, shipped with a universal retrofit splitter shim. You don’t need to mount the spring to the coupler, and in its assembled form it’s easy to work since the spring isn’t going anywhere.

Kits come with the parts, not on a tree. The hardest part is mounting the spring… It snaps onto the coupler shanks. The hardest part of that is mounting the loose spring to the first shank half. If you can assemble traditional MTL couplers, you can mount springs on mine. It’s easier to mount springs then assemble traditional couplers, jig or not, but no doubt you’re going to have a few springs get away from you from time to time. Kits come with spare springs accordingly.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #207 on: June 27, 2024, 05:24:35 PM »
+6
The only thing left to say…

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #208 on: June 28, 2024, 01:32:49 AM »
+2
Will the Scalebox versions also come with an extended draft gear for cushioned underframes, to retrofit cars once the couplers are body mounted?

RAILCAT

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #209 on: June 30, 2024, 04:29:52 AM »
As you hopefully will be inundated with orders for this long awaited coupler.  Have you developed a clever assembly machine to put these tiny things together or is it a team with nifty fingers?