Author Topic: Atlas GP-7/9 announcement  (Read 3853 times)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
Atlas GP-7/9 announcement
« on: May 12, 2022, 06:52:25 PM »
The current issue of MR has the announcement of "new paint schemes" for these units. But it also refers to an ESU sound equipped version (MSRP $249.96) and a DC version with speaker (MSRP $139.95). So obviously, there's a lot more than a new paint scheme involved...like new chassis? Makes me wonder whether my old Zebra Stripe GP-7 shells would fit on one of these.
Due fourth quarter '22, so I guess time will tell. Or did I miss an earlier recent release with a new mechanism?
Otto K.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 11:26:10 AM by GaryHinshaw »

Kentuckian

• Crew
  • "This all started with Romans 10:9!" -Apologetix
  • Respect: +492
Re: Atlas GP-7/9 announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »
  See reply#2 at this thread. https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=53411.0 I have my reservation in for the C&O units at my pusher.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 07:20:28 PM by Kentuckian »
Modeling the C&O in Kentucky.

“Nature does not know extinction; all it knows is transformation. ... Everything science has taught me-and continues to teach me-strengthens my belief in the continuity of our spiritual existence after death. Nothing disappears without a trace.” Wernher von Braun

sp org div

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 10:20:55 PM »
That would be great.
Likely the same underframe as the GP20 Gold sound units they announced, like two years ago? …that Im still waiting for.
Bring it on!

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 12:00:54 AM »
That would be great.
Likely the same underframe as the GP20 Gold sound units they announced, like two years ago? …that Im still waiting for.
Bring it on!

The Atlas Production page says a partial shipment of GP20's left China just about a month ago (4/15/2022).  No word on what the partial ship[ment includes though.  I hope it's my undecorated units.

https://shop.atlasrr.com/t-ordership.aspx
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2178
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 11:24:40 AM »
As I have a vested interest in these with my CF7 conversion kits, I already have one on order.

When I got one of the new 'slow speed' motors, it showed up with a drop-down speaker holder and wiring bracket as part of the motor mount, to place the speaker in the fuel tank area.   That was obviously for the GP40, but the motor size itself was basically the same.   So I'm guessing you will have a new chassis with a carve-out in the fuel tank for the speaker, but not much else and probably minimal if any changes in the body shell itself.

Frames keep getting lighter and lighter with all these sound and DCC cutouts so I fully expect a drop-off in tractive effort.   I just hope they don't start wiring in the trucks.  But the last run with the ball-and socket universals rather than the hex nuts really made them MUCH quieter.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »
I’ve got a few old and new shells for the two sound chassis I have (both of the GP38/40 variety) and the only difficulty in swapping shells is the light tubes. The old style had the large plastic chunk with a semi circle for the bulb; the new ones swoop up towards the top of the shell for the little LEDs. I haven’t tried switching any of the light tubes between shells yet, but since the shells aren’t really retooled I don’t see why one style wouldn’t fit the other
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Shaggy170

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
As I have a vested interest in these with my CF7 conversion kits, I already have one on order.

When I got one of the new 'slow speed' motors, it showed up with a drop-down speaker holder and wiring bracket as part of the motor mount, to place the speaker in the fuel tank area.   That was obviously for the GP40, but the motor size itself was basically the same.   So I'm guessing you will have a new chassis with a carve-out in the fuel tank for the speaker, but not much else and probably minimal if any changes in the body shell itself.

Frames keep getting lighter and lighter with all these sound and DCC cutouts so I fully expect a drop-off in tractive effort.   I just hope they don't start wiring in the trucks.  But the last run with the ball-and socket universals rather than the hex nuts really made them MUCH quieter.

I'm getting a GP7 too for the conversion... My kit from you has been sitting forever in the project pile, waiting for this moment. A sound equipped CF7, glorious!

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3475
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 02:40:20 PM »
+3
I'm getting a GP7 too for the conversion... My kit from you has been sitting forever in the project pile, waiting for this moment. A sound equipped CF7, glorious!

Yes, quite glorious :D 1500 has sound decoder, 1504 is a lokpilot. 

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1960
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2024, 10:58:34 PM »
So now that the new GP-7's are out, I'll ask the same question I did in my OP: will the old shells (I have several in custom ATSF zebras) fit on the new mechanism ?(the new ATSF units only come in the more modern blue and yellow scheme). Anyone here know? I'd like to use my shell detailed for the 2650, below...Or will Atlas do these in the next release :facepalm:
Thanks, Otto
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 11:04:21 PM by Cajonpassfan »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4700
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2024, 03:11:13 AM »
Yes, the vintage shells will fit.  The ones where the handrails and decks are separate components for sure, they snap right on.  But I would think all China-manufactured shells would fit.  I retro'd a pair of vintage green/gold VT and GTW shells when I decided I didn't need four NH units.  The vintage fuel tanks fit as well, since there are at least two variations there.

Same case with the ex-Life-Like FA1/FB1 bodyshells on the new Atlas mechanisms, they snap on without any effort.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 03:16:35 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2024, 05:55:38 PM »
+1
I picked up my pair of new Atlas GP7’s from the LHS today, both C&O units. Eventually they will become Canadian Pacific units, but I’m not sure if they’ll simply receive swapped detailed shells or be completely repainted and detailed - probably the later, but not for a while.

I can confirm that the older shells fit the new chassis, but I can also confirm that this new chassis features wire connections between the trucks and the DCC board and that these wires can be pinched and severed if you’re not careful when placing the shell over the chassis. Repair required some heart-in-mouth soldering, but I managed to fix.

I also checked the weight of the new run (61.4 grams) compared to the older ‘decoder ready’ version (64.5 grams), so minimal loss of weight.

I’m generally have not been crazy about sound, but these sure sound nice. I’m cogitating about how I’m going to integrate these two sound units into my fleet of 12 other ‘silent’ GP7/9’s… I feel the intense gravity at the event horizon of sound equipped locos!

These are also my first ESU decoders - I’m assuming I can make any CV adjustments as I’m used to with Digitrax decoders? And I don’t see a function for headlight on/off.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4700
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2024, 02:02:42 AM »
You can program a lot of sophisticated functionality in the ESU decoders but you need their LokProgrammer to do it.  Basic CV changes can be done through the normal program track process.  F8 controls the headlight as standard.  Changing the behavior of the headlight requires the LokProgrammer.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2024, 09:07:59 AM »
+1
That's not entirely true. JMRI can be used to reprogram function output on ESU decoders as well. Their system is a lot more complex (and thus way more configurable) than most, but DecoderPro has a very easy to use interface for changing it.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5138
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2024, 10:09:24 AM »
+2
F8 controls the headlight as standard. 

In all the ESU sound decoders I have worked with, F8 controls the prime mover startup and shutdown when sitting still, and mutes prime mower sound when moving.

Headlight is F0, but it is also directional (behavior standard on pretty much all DCC decoders).  To make the headlights independent some  reprogramming and function remapping would have to be done (which as others mentioned is best done with LokProgrammer or with Decoder Pro.

But there is no need to actually own LokProgrammer hardware to figure out what CVs to modify to get the desired functionality.  Just install the LokProgrammer software on your Windows PC, download and open the sound project used for this loco, make the changes needed, then open the Tools menu, and select Show Changed CVs. That will show the list of all CVs (in the proper order) to be manually modified on standard programming track of any DCC system.
. . . 42 . . .

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2024, 11:28:41 AM »
Yes, function “0” is the headlight, as standard. I have no explanation why I missed that - it’s a little worrying…