Author Topic: Lowell Smith Duplex Sleepers  (Read 967 times)

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
Lowell Smith Duplex Sleepers
« on: April 27, 2022, 01:14:30 PM »
+1
      No mention has been posted here of the new Duplex Sleepers coming from Lowell Smith. These cars are based on Great Northern "Pass Series" cars, but his web site says the window arrangement also matches the last four duplex cars acquired by the Milwaukee Road.      Nate Goodman. (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 10:07:42 AM by GaryHinshaw »

nickelplate759

• Crew
  • Respect: +1032
Re: Lowell Smith Duplex Sleepers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 01:34:43 PM »
+1
      No mention has been posted here of the new Duplex Sleepers coming from Lowell Smith. These cars are based on Great Northern "Pass Series" cars, but his web site says the window arrangement also matches the last four duplex cars acquired by the Milwaukee Road.      Nate Goodman. (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.
I ordered an NP set (I think they match NP cars exactly, and GN cars sort-of).
George
NKPH&TS #3628

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1461
    • Modutrak
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
I ordered an NP set (I think they match NP cars exactly, and GN cars sort-of).

Yes, I think this is correct.  The reason they then match the last order of Milwaukee cars is that those cars had standard square windows in the vestibule doors. 

Earlier Milwaukee Road cars had portholes in the doors.  Which might be an attractive modification to a RailSmith car. 

sd45elect2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +452
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 04:03:12 PM »
I think they only match the Minnesota river and the ZUMBRO river.
RSS

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2022, 01:01:49 AM »
The vestibule door is on the wrong end for the GN cars, the car is based on the NP proto

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1428
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2022, 02:17:57 AM »
I believe they also lack a few very small upper level windows found on the GN cars.  Since sleepers don't usually run with lights on, I wonder if these could be printed on, or done with decals?  Black with a frame color to match the real windows should work.
N Kalanaga
Be well

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2022, 12:28:03 PM »
     Yes , They only match the" Minnesota River" and "ZUMBRO River" Milwaukee cars previously modeled by RAPIDO of Canada in UP MLW colors. The old Con Cor GN duplex cars featured small upper birth windows found on only one side. Nate Goodman. (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1428
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 02:12:12 AM »
But the CC cars were a mirror image of the real cars.  Never mind, I have several of them anyway!

The upper windows aren't that noticeable on the GN's green/orange cars.  They really stand out on Big Sky Blue, with the white stripe.
N Kalanaga
Be well