Author Topic: Weekend Update 3/27/22  (Read 9033 times)

ns737

• Crew
  • Respect: +38
Re: Weekend Update 3/27/22
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2022, 06:37:22 PM »
painting the pilot wheels would help it look better.

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2022, 08:43:51 PM »
Actually, Code 40 is nearly right on for A.R.E.A. 131 lb rail, which is what UP re-railed everywhere Big Boys might travel in the Summer of 1941.

Photo (1) - A.R.E.A. 131 lb. rail measurements, 1/160th conversions for Railhead Width, Rail Height & Railfoot Width, and ME Code 40 measurements:

If I round off the actual 1/160th width of the railhead (.01875") to .019"...then the railhead width on ME Code 40 is exactly what it should be for A.R.E.A. 131 lb. rail.  I'm not going to quibble about Code 40 being .00025" too wide.

Actual ME Code 40 overall rail height is too short by .0016"...I'm not going to lose any sleep over .0016".

Actual ME Code 40 railfoot width is exactly .001" too wide...that's a scale .16" inch in prototype inches...  which isn't going to give me any heartburn whatsoever.

Soooo...ME Code 40 rail looking "massive" at an ant's eye view is only in the viewer's perception since it's easily within .001" in railhead & railfoot widths and is actually too short by a whopping .256" prototype inches...that's basically 1/4" of an inch too short.

I noticed that the diagrams I found of A.R.E.A 131 lb. rail shows the railhead not being as rounded as other weights. This means even the squared-off railhead on ME Code 40 is pretty close to prototype looking.

However, your ME Code 40 may vary as far as dimensions are concerned.  I measured a stick of old, original-run Rail Craft Code 40, and the rail height is only .039" as opposed to newer Rail Craft Code 40 flex.  Sorry...I couldn't find any ME code 40 flex in my stash.  :trollface:

Photo (2) - Hand-laid PCB Code 40 on the Park City Branch:

Just for information's sake, hand-laid Code 40 PCB track will run the biggest pizza-cutters without interference.

As @ednadolski has written previously, on a short section of one of my center sidings laid with ME Code 40 flex, my old Kato F3's (my test engines) wouldn't run on it at all, so I sanded down the inside spikeheads with a small sanding block...taking care not to sand too much.  I ran masking tape down the center so as not to scar up the ties.  Didn't take long, now my F3's run fine on it.  I cleaned up with a fairly soft brass welding brush to get the "fuzz" off of the spike heads.  Since I have a big stash of Rail Craft Code 40 with its much smaller and shorter spikeheads, I am going to use that in my next 30' of layout sections for the industrial trackage and center siding.

Photo (3) - ME Code 40 Center Siding with sanded-down inner spike heads:

Also, there is nothing fragile about point rail toes on Code 40 turnouts.  I've made dozens of them, and they actually hold up better than my Code 55 turnouts do because the rails are much more flexible, and don't stress the PCB throwbars nearly as much.  One great point about Code 40 turnouts is that they go together faster because there is less metal to remove...I mean noticeably faster.

Just for giggles, here's a couple of photos illustrating that Code 40 track doesn't look massive at all when compared directly with prototype photos taken from basically the same angle and distance.

Photo (4) - Key FEF-3 on Code 40 Park City Branch trackage:

Photo (5) - UP FEF-2 on 131 lb. Mainline Trackage:

The conclusion is that ME Code 40 rails, even though they are HO scale, just happen to be the right size for N-scale 131 lb A.R.E.A. rail.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Robert,
Very good info and excellent examples! I was wondering if you had any similar "specs" for ME Code 55 rail?
In addition, any experience with Fast Tracks Code 40 Jigs? Curious to know if ME Code 55 rail will "fit/work" in a Code 40 jig.
Thanks in advance!
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1477
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2022, 10:13:32 PM »
+3
That photo also clearly demonstrates what someone mentioned earlier about using close to scale size rail:  It brings out the fact that the scale the N scale wheels are quite a it out of scale.  The tread width is much too wide, which is very apparent when the wheels is sitting on C40 track.  The oversize flange is also quite apparent, but to me not as in-your-face as the tread width.

When an N scale model is on C55 or taller rail (which also has wider railhead), those oversize features of the wheels are not as apparent.

Since my post was about how to make N-scale track look better...not how to make N-scale engines and cars look better, I chose a photo of a bone-stock brass Key FEF-3 that was shot nearly in the same perspective as the prototype photo of the FEF-2...thinking that it was clearly evident that the rails are virtually identically sized in relation to the locomotives sitting on top of them.

I think it's quite funny that if the asshats here are not complaining about track size and proportion, we are complaining about lead truck wheel surfaces, wheel tread width and flange sizes!  LOLOL...I do plenty of it myself!

Not much can be done to replicate a scale flange size in N-scale, which are 1" deep...that's a flange depth of only .00625", which I believe would probably not work very well, although I'm also sure that somebody, somewhere has done it...maybe in Britain somewhere since they are probably even more fanatical about such things than the average rivet-counter here in the States.

Tire width?  I think slimmer wheels would probably work pretty well on carefully laid trackage as FVM narrow low-pro wheelsets amply showed those of us who used them and lament their loss.

Just to illustrate with actual models what scale-sized track looks like with properly weathered and detailed engines sitting on top of it...as well as highly detailed Rail Craft Code 55 flex, here are some photos to look at....

Photo (1) - Key USRA Light MacArthur UP-ized with big Sweeney stack and ample weathering on Rail Craft Code 55 flex.  Too tall for ya?:

Photo (2) - UP TTT at the top of the Grade at Wahsatch on 131 lb. A.R.E.A. rails. Compare apparent rail height to previous photo:

Photo (3) - Much modified and superdetailed brass Key Big Boy...Close up sitting on Code 40 PCB hand-laid Park City Branchline trackage:

Photo (4) - The same Key Big Boy pulling a PFE Reefer Block upgrade around Echo Curve on its way to Green River after refueling at the Echo Coaling Tower...on Rail Craft Code 55 flex:

Photo (5) - UP Big Boys Double Headed between Green River and Cheyenne on 131 lb. A.R.E.A. mainline rail:

Photo (6) - UP Diesels in Weber Canyon on 131 lb. A.R.E.A. mainline rail:

Photo (7) - Atlas GP-38's with added details and custom paint exiting Wilhemina Pass and heading towards Hennefer and Echo on Rail Craft flex:

Photo (8 ) - Brass Hallmark SD-60 in MOPAC Merger colors in the lead at "The Monument" just entering Wilhemina Pass east of Devil's Slide on Rail Craft flex:

Having been an N-scale "track nerd" since I started in N-scale in the late 1970's, and having taken professional photos of my trains for publication for an equal amount of time, I have come to the conclusion that rail height is one of the least noticeable aspects of N-scale track.  Of course correctly scaled rails look better, but even more important are the tieplate/spikehead/tie proportions and details which get much more attention both at shows by the general public and other model railroaders, and in high-quality photos than does rail height.

Just to illustrate my opinion, the last two photos were taken on my old Wilhemina Pass/Devil's Slide Ntrak modules...with Rail Craft Code 70 flex.  I'll bet most of ya didn't even notice the extra height of the rails!  And, frankly, the Code 70 rails' height as compared to the prototype photo are really not noticeable.

Purchasing and using the most realistic looking track and techniques will get you results close to what you want, but there are compromises in N-scale that have been virtually impossible to overcome unless you are equipped to roll your own rails, print your own ties with appropriate tie-plate and spike-head details, etch your own rail joiners that are prominent enough to see really well, but not interfere with N-scale flanges, then painting, weathering and ballasting appropriately. Oh...and learning how to lay your own turnouts is absolutely essential...but realistically, not just to make it easy, handy or quick.

However, I DO like the difference in rail height and the difference in the way ties are laid between heavily-trafficked mainline rails, medium-trafficked siding and spur rails, and lightly trafficked spur and industrial trackage...which is why I persist in using Code 55 and Code 40 together...even though Code 55 is way too tall and fat...but, is only noticeable in certain lighting conditions.

Compromises.

Now, if Mark would supply me with his latest iteration of excellent tie strips in BOTH Code 40 and Code 55....I'd be a much happier rail nerd!

...and lastly, here's a prototype photo that shows 131 lb. A.R.E.A. rail looking like it's WAAAAY too fat to be real....

Photo (9) - The Park City Local west of Echo on 131 lb. A.R.E.A. mainline rail, which appears to have much fatter than normal railheads:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 10:43:43 PM by robert3985 »

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2022, 12:34:40 AM »
+3

Now, if Mark would supply me with his latest iteration of excellent tie strips in BOTH Code 40 and Code 55....I'd be a much happier rail nerd!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Are you ready to lay some track, @robert3985 ?  Let me know where you are in the scheme of things. 8)  I have a couple of new printers, one with measurably larger capacity, and some more very useful experience that will make track go well.  If I was to focus on just that I could have finished product in a matter of weeks, not months.  And I could go ahead and make at least that product available for sale.  Turnouts won't be ready for a little while yet as tooling isn't done.  Let me know about track and any urgency. :)

I have been quite busy with some life things but also with machine and tool building with my ambitious product plans always in sight.  That's why I haven't been posting much about any of it as it gets to sounding like pipe dreams.  And there have been times that I have entertained that thought about it myself. ;) 

What became  apparent when trying to progress with my own basic machine tools and product designs but also depending on machine access at a proper shop, is that that was not going to work as anticipated.  So I have been very busy building my own machines, still able to operate in a very small space but with real capability.  I have completed a small part injection molding machine (successfully tested but refinement tweaks expected once in use), currently working on the biggest time burner, a CNC mill for metal parts (including molds for the injection molder) and a second lighter duty one (a kit with modifications) that can be used for laser cutting and other light duty things like circuit boards.  And there's all the peripheral tools and equipment like air and piping for cutter tool cooling, vises, fixtures, and clamping schemes, a fourth axis designed with features for gear production, and etc.  This is ambitious stuff for a one man show to complete but if I ever get it done the ability to produce the things I have been developing will be pretty strong.  I probably should have taken this approach several years ago but... here we are. :) 

Wish me luck! 8) And I won't be posting much about it (boring people) ;) until there's something to show. :)
Mark G.

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2022, 01:04:22 AM »
+1
Are you ready to lay some track, @robert3985 ?  Let me know where you are in the scheme of things. 8)  I have a couple of new printers, one with measurably larger capacity, and some more very useful experience that will make track go well.  If I was to focus on just that I could have finished product in a matter of weeks, not months.  And I could go ahead and make at least that product available for sale.  Turnouts won't be ready for a little while yet as tooling isn't done.  Let me know about track and any urgency. :)

I have been quite busy with some life things but also with machine and tool building with my ambitious product plans always in sight.  That's why I haven't been posting much about any of it as it gets to sounding like pipe dreams.  And there have been times that I have entertained that thought about it myself. ;) 

What became  apparent when trying to progress with my own basic machine tools and product designs but also depending on machine access at a proper shop, is that that was not going to work as anticipated.  So I have been very busy building my own machines, still able to operate in a very small space but with real capability.  I have completed a small part injection molding machine (successfully tested but refinement tweaks expected once in use), currently working on the biggest time burner, a CNC mill for metal parts (including molds for the injection molder) and a second lighter duty one (a kit with modifications) that can be used for laser cutting and other light duty things like circuit boards.  And there's all the peripheral tools and equipment like air and piping for cutter tool cooling, vises, fixtures, and clamping schemes, a fourth axis designed with features for gear production, and etc.  This is ambitious stuff for a one man show to complete but if I ever get it done the ability to produce the things I have been developing will be pretty strong.  I probably should have taken this approach several years ago but... here we are. :) 

Wish me luck! 8) And I won't be posting much about it (boring people) ;) until there's something to show. :)

@narrowminded Mark...WOW!  That certainly doesn't sound boring at all to me!  And, GOOD LUCK!

Since I want both Code 55 for mainlines and Code 40 for everything else because of the rail height difference, I would really like to see what your final iteration is of your non-turnout tie strips...the details which I already think are far superior to anything else available.  What I wonder about is how they're articulated for laying curves...and since bending rails will be a new experience for me when laying track on my layout, I'm a bit anxious about how it can be done since I've got it down as far as doing Rail Craft and I'm an old fart and changing my ways is getting more difficult every day!

I am not yet ready to lay track...the four sections are still being designed in CadRail along with the associated portable benchwork...which won't take long to complete if I can find the time to devote three or four days to it.

I'd like to start building benchwork as soon as it warms up a bit...maybe a month at the longest...then have at putting track down!  I think with your product, it'll be the best track ever seen in N-scale...really!

Anyway...it's great to hear from you!

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2022, 02:06:32 AM »
+1
Robert,
Very good info and excellent examples! I was wondering if you had any similar "specs" for ME Code 55 rail?
In addition, any experience with Fast Tracks Code 40 Jigs? Curious to know if ME Code 55 rail will "fit/work" in a Code 40 jig.
Thanks in advance!

Mike,

Welllll...I've got my digital calipers and some Code 55 rail handy, sooo let's see....it's exactly .055" tall, the railhead is .0235" wide, the railfoot is .0555" wide. 

That converts to prototype measurements of 8.8" tall, railhead width of 3.76", and a railfoot width of 8.88"

The heaviest normal rail I could find spec's on was 155 lb. rail, which is 8" tall, railhead width of 3" and a railfoot width of 6.75"

That makes Code 55 for N-scale larger in all dimensions than any prototype rail I can find specs on.

I started making turnout before Fast Tracks was even thought of, so I use printed diagrams to build all of my turnouts on, which I have been doing since the early 1980's.

However, I don't believe Code 55 rail will fit in a Fast Tracks Code 55 fixture since the width of Code 55's railfoot is wider than Code 40 and their fixtures rely on the railfoot width for proper registering. 

On the other hand, Code 40 rail will definitely flop around in their Code 55 fixture, but with verrrrry imprecise registration, which you do not want.

Truthfully, it only takes 3 turnouts to learn how to get them both functional and looking good.  I don't need fixtures of any kind and neither does 99% of anybody else.  Making turnouts is not rocket science and with an NMRA Standards Gage, two or three 3-point gauges to hold your rails in gauge and instructions from Youtube or from myriad other sources...and good solder & flux (I have my preferences for solder and flux) and a 35 watt iron, stand, tinning solution and sponge (or equivalent)...you should have very few problems and no problems that won't be simple to figure out.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

narrowminded

• Crew
  • Respect: +743
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2022, 02:13:07 AM »
+1
  What I wonder about is how they're articulated for laying curves...and since bending rails will be a new experience for me when laying track on my layout, I'm a bit anxious about how it can be done since I've got it down as far as doing Rail Craft and I'm an old fart and changing my ways is getting more difficult every day!

Bending and fitting rail will likely prove to be the least of your concerns, especially with the rail bending tool I made.  I still only made the prototype that was seen in the video but I have already purchased the roller bearings and the hard washers for the surface below the rail that the rail slides on (instead of the aluminum ones on the prototype) so all I have to do to complete that product is review the drawing and adjust the details for things like the hardened washers.  I should finish that up and send you one to play with.  You can bend a piece of rail, straighten it, bend it again to a different radius, all with that tool, and do it 'til your heart's content. :D  Should I get on it? 8)

I think with your product, it'll be the best track ever seen in N-scale...really!

Well thanks for that vote of confidence. 8)  I'm especially anxious to get the whole package with detailed turnouts including planed closing rails with no notches.  And that's your fault. ;)  "Better modelling through peer pressure" or some such. 8)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 03:46:36 AM by narrowminded »
Mark G.

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2022, 03:35:23 PM »
+1
Bending and fitting rail will likely prove to be the least of your concerns, especially with the rail bending tool I made.  I still only made the prototype that was seen in the video but I have already purchased the roller bearings and the hard washers for the surface below the rail that the rail slides on (instead of the aluminum ones on the prototype) so all I have to do to complete that product is review the drawing and adjust the details for things like the hardened washers.  I should finish that up and send you one to play with.  You can bend a piece of rail, straighten it, bend it again to a different radius, all with that tool, and do it 'til your heart's content. :D  Should I get on it? 8)

Well thanks for that vote of confidence. 8)  I'm especially anxious to get the whole package with detailed turnouts including planed closing rails with no notches.  And that's your fault. ;)  "Better modelling through peer pressure" or some such. 8)

Mark,
Get on it!  I have been holding off buying Fast Track's rail bender because I know yours is better.  Bill me if you like...I want it!

I am very happy that you have decided to go with planed closure points!  When you get your first ones finished, I'd like to be your first customer...I think they make a significant difference in the way turnouts look (much more prototypical) and also speed up turnout fabrication.  On the ones I have used, they also lend themselves to better reliability and smoothness.  Can't wait!  :)

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1741
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2022, 05:18:38 PM »
Since my post was about how to make N-scale track look better...not how to make N-scale engines and cars look better, I chose a photo of a bone-stock brass Key FEF-3 that was shot nearly in the same perspective as the prototype photo of the FEF-2...thinking that it was clearly evident that the rails are virtually identically sized in relation to the locomotives sitting on top of them.

It was evident to me, I was just responding to what someone mentioned earlier about tread width ;)

Not much can be done to replicate a scale flange size in N-scale, which are 1" deep...that's a flange depth of only .00625", which I believe would probably not work very well, although I'm also sure that somebody, somewhere has done it...maybe in Britain somewhere since they are probably even more fanatical about such things than the average rivet-counter here in the States.

I don't think I've ever seen an actual Proto:160 wheel (other than maybe as a drawing ;)).   The 2mm Society comes close, I think, but I'm not really sure how close.

Another thing making real P:160 impractical is that you would have to build the turnouts, points, flangeways, etc. to very exacting tolerances in order for it to actually work (beyond just looking better in macro pics... and BTW, no place for #5 turnouts or 9 3/4" curves, which geometrically speaking could never work if scaled up to the prototype either,  or FTM 24".... you need more like 40" radius, just for starters).  OTOH P:87  track tolerances are more like what you would build for standard N scale - so if you can build N scale from scratch, you can also build P:87 :D  (No jigs needed either, folks have been doing it for years, see here, and at the end of the day none of it is microsurgery.)

Tire width?  I think slimmer wheels would probably work pretty well on carefully laid trackage as FVM narrow low-pro wheelsets amply showed those of us who used them and lament their loss.

Beyond a certain point, smaller flanges, treads, etc. get really hard to see the distinction (ditto for say scale spikes and tie plates).  The FVM narrow/lo-pros are JMHO a good example of something that does make a noticeable improvement, esp. on tank cars, hoppers, and such where the traditional oversize flanges are more conspicuous (the latter being something of a carryover from the era of generous tolerances and keeping talgo-type trucks from slipping off sharp curves).

Really would love to see that too!

Ed

« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 05:25:17 PM by ednadolski »

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1316
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2022, 06:11:53 PM »
+1
I don't think I've ever seen an actual Proto:160 wheel (other than maybe as a drawing ;)).   The 2mm Society comes close, I think, but I'm not really sure how close.

Ed

The 2mm Association quotes Prototypical flange depth as 1.125", true scale (1:152) as 0.007", and their standard as 0.020".
For tire width the numbers are: 5.5", 0.036", and 0.051" respectively.
http://www.2mm.org.uk/standards/basicstd.htm
http://www.2mm.org.uk/standards/basicsdiag.htm

The biggest difference I've noticed between American models and 2mm models is how sharp the flange is on 2mm wheels. Even the best FVM wheels have a relatively large radius between the tread and the flange and a large radius at the end of the flange. The 2mm wheels are much sharper in both of those places. I think FVM wheels actually look better as a result of this, even when the basic dimensions are pretty similar. I'll try to get some pictures that show what I mean.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1316
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2022, 06:32:41 PM »
+3
2mm Association wheel on the left in all pictures

A few years ago I reduced the steamrollers on a Bachmann 44 Tonner to something approaching scale. I thinned both the back and front of the wheels to match 2mm standards. I think I left the flange depth alone. As with so many of my projects, its almost done. Still need to blacken the wheel face.

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1741
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2022, 12:16:30 AM »
The biggest difference I've noticed between American models and 2mm models is how sharp the flange is on 2mm wheels. Even the best FVM wheels have a relatively large radius between the tread and the flange and a large radius at the end of the flange. The 2mm wheels are much sharper in both of those places. I think FVM wheels actually look better as a result of this, even when the basic dimensions are pretty similar. I'll try to get some pictures that show what I mean.

Very interesting!  I guess it's easier/cheaper to make it 'sharp' that way, but one of the key reasons for the fillets and tread taper on the prototype is to keep the wheelsets on the track without creating excess friction between the rail and the flanges.  It is also needed for tracking thru a curve:  a wheelset being rigid forces both wheels to rotate at the same angular velocity, but on a curve the outer wheel must also travel a greater linear distance than the inner wheel.  Without the tread tapers and fillets to compensate for the differences, either or both wheels would slip/skid against the rail - very bad for the prototype, but I bet even on a model (where it is more about the appearance) the difference could be measured.

Ed 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 12:19:47 AM by ednadolski »

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4705
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2022, 12:26:04 AM »
+1
I understand photography-wise that the Code 40 is a better option.  But as also mentioned, every other detail in N is oversized — couplers, handrails, wheels, flanges, tread width, ballast, etcetera.  If you're building a diorama to photograph scale models on, I can see it.  But I'm not going to fret the visual difference between Code 55 and Code 40 when it comes to running a functional model railroad layout.  Other than from the worm's-eye view, Code 55 looks fine in photos.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1432
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2022, 12:27:23 AM »
Part of the difference between 2mm and American N scale might be prototype.  I have read that Britain, Europe, and North America have slightly different wheel profiles, whether that's true or not.
N Kalanaga
Be well

NtheBasement

• Crew
  • Respect: +289
    • Moving coal in N scale
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2022, 06:58:19 AM »
I was wondering about whether or not these wheels run reliably per @ednadolski's comment.  The filet is functional on our layouts; has anyone had issues with these wheels on curves?  Prototype track curves have way bigger radius and work fine with just the tread taper.
Moving coal the old way: https://youtu.be/RWJVt4r_pgc
Moving coal the new way: https://youtu.be/sN25ncLMI8k