Author Topic: Got FlexTrack?  (Read 3070 times)

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
  • Respect: +161
Got FlexTrack?
« on: March 21, 2022, 07:39:23 PM »
+1
Anyone have some Micro Engineering Code 55 Weathered FlexTrack that is surplus to your needs?  I need 18 pieces.  I've searched a lot of hobby shops with no luck and ME doesn't have any either.

Doug

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1649
Re: Got FlexTrack?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 08:27:55 PM »
Why don’t you buy unweathered and do that part yourself, if it’s available?
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9117
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 09:33:28 PM »
Anyone have some Micro Engineering Code 55 Weathered FlexTrack that is surplus to your needs?  I need 18 pieces.  I've searched a lot of hobby shops with no luck and ME doesn't have any either.
Doug

I don't have the 55, but I have some weathered Code 70 that I'll be happy to sell ya cheap.

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +761
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2022, 09:52:40 PM »

Doug
https://mainlinehobby.com/255-12124s-code-55-weatherd.html

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3523
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 02:26:08 AM »
https://mainlinehobby.com/255-12124s-code-55-weatherd.html

Ya beat me to it.

I know we have some ME track in stock, just don't know how much.  Can email and see how many sticks they have

wvgca

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 11:01:34 AM »
i went and checked... well not ME, not weathered, and code 100, not 55 ..
but i have 40 leftover 3 foot sticks of it !

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »
Why don’t you buy unweathered and do that part yourself, if it’s available?

Good idea but only works if the track remains straight or if it's painted prior to forming into a curve.  If done any other way, the tiny "spikes" rub off the paint and you get little sparklies all along the rail.  Only other way to do it is to use the ME Weathering Solution but it takes forever to work and it's quite messy.

Doug

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1649
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 02:07:15 PM »
Good idea but only works if the track remains straight or if it's painted prior to forming into a curve.  If done any other way, the tiny "spikes" rub off the paint and you get little sparklies all along the rail.  Only other way to do it is to use the ME Weathering Solution but it takes forever to work and it's quite messy.

Doug

I wasn't advocating that you weather it before it was laid.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5252
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2022, 02:27:05 PM »
i went and checked... well not ME, not weathered, and code 100, not 55 ..
but i have 40 leftover 3 foot sticks of it !

There is no N scale code 100 track.  Never seen or heard of it.  Code 70 (or 80?) is the tallest.  Code 100 is H0.
. . . 42 . . .

BCR751

• Crew
  • A.K.A. Mr. Goodenough
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2022, 03:31:58 PM »
+1
I think what we have here, at least in this thread, is a failure to accurately read the original post.  If you don't have any ME  Weathered Code 55 FlexTrack, then don't reply to the post.  I'm sure that others who may need Code 70 or Code 100 or whatever else was mentioned would be happy but those replies are not relevant.  Stay on the main and don't take the siding  :D

Doug

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9266
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 04:00:06 PM »
+5
I think what we have here, at least in this thread, is a failure to accurately read the original post.  If you don't have any ME  Weathered Code 55 FlexTrack, then don't reply to the post.  I'm sure that others who may need Code 70 or Code 100 or whatever else was mentioned would be happy but those replies are not relevant.  Stay on the main and don't take the siding  :D

Doug

Thread drift? The Railwire?

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6415
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 06:27:20 PM »
I don't have the 55, but I have some weathered Code 70 that I'll be happy to sell ya cheap.

When you say cheap, what exactly do you mean?

Afterall..After all... cheap is my favorite color!

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1482
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2022, 11:13:03 PM »
+4

Doug

Here's how ya lay MicroEngineering Code 55 unweathered track.  You lay it by gluing it down to Midwest Cork Products N-scale Cork Roadbed (after sanding it with 220 grit emery cloth attached to a straight pine sanding block) install all the feeders, turnouts and replace all missing ties etc....test it, then spray paint it with Krylon Ultra Flat Camo Black...just enough to cover the railwebs and the sides of the ties, with some on top too.  Clean off the paint before it cures from the railheads, then spray a light coat of Krylon Ultra Flat Camo Brown from directly overhead...a LIGHT coat...but enough to cover the tops of the ties and get a little overspray on the rail webs and sides of the ties.  Clean off the paint before it cures.  Then pick out a few ties every six inches or so (randomly) with various shades of Brown and Gray....let that cure, then ballast it with real rock ballast.  I've done this for over 30 years, and I have sections of my layout that have been down for that long with never ever any silver sparklies appearing where the spikes meet the railfoot.

What I'm saying is if you cannot find weathered ME code 55, unweathered ME code 55 works just as well, and is easy to solder, and if painted like I described, it looks much more realistic than mere "weathered" rail left unpainted.

Photo (1) - Rail Craft Code 55 flex (unweathered) now called Micro Engineering, laid as per the above post:

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:20:41 PM by robert3985 »

Angus Shops

• Crew
  • Respect: +274
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2022, 12:26:33 AM »
The weathered rail looks good, but it’s kind of a pain to solder ‘cause you have to clean off enough of the weathered finish to get a good solder joint. ME being what it is I’ve made a habit of buying weathered or unweathered code 55 when either is available. I generally use the weathered stuff when I’m laying full lengths of track to minimize the prep for the soldered joints, and the unweathered track where lots of cutting, fitting, and soldering is required.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9117
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »
When you say cheap, what exactly do you mean?

Afterall..After all... cheap is my favorite color!

Lee
Draw me a cool looking car port?

:D