Author Topic: Nothing In N-Scale From Rapido  (Read 4262 times)

Narlie

• Crew
  • Respect: +16
Re: Nothing In N-Scale From Rapido
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 06:42:33 PM »
Do not forget the products they do for Prairie Shadows.

CBQ Fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +350
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 06:59:44 PM »
I hear you.  But you know that HO is overwhelmingly their primary focus.  That said, they are pushing out N scale releases at least once a year and when they do, it's usually a substantial amount.

My intention is not to bash them, just expressing they could earn a lot more of my money with a few more offerings that they could scale down from HO. BLI has done a nice job of steady offerings in N scale. These two companies feel very similar to me. I have bought a number of BLI items recently that I don’t really need just because they are committed to offering regular n scale products. Rapido seems too focused on finding silver bullet items, and then if they miss they pull back. A UP boxcar, the NP boxcar. A run of steam generator cars to match Kato & Railsmith cars.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4703
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 08:33:17 PM »
I’m the reverse, given that Rapido releases an admittedly disproportionate amount of New Haven related models. BLI offers prototypical New Haven models on occasion, but they are Pennsy-centric for the most part. Not that this is bad for me, as Pennsy passenger equipment always had a heavy presence on New Haven rails. I won’t touch BLI’s fantasy stuff though, and they seem to be releasing a lot of it lately. Rapido rarely releases fantasy schemes.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

High Hood

• Crew
  • Respect: +128
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 09:04:53 PM »
I would love to see Rapido bring the FA-2 to N Scale as the Rapido/Prairie Shadows FPA-4 looks incredible!

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3492
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 09:09:15 PM »
I have 1 of the B-100-40 boxcars on preorder, as we had one show up here in Gettysburg last year that I'd like to replicate weathering/graffiti on.  I missed out on getting a FP9 but right now the Gety would just be an interchange point and I already have 105/107 GP units that will just sit on the siding anyways.  Gety had ex Algoma Central 1755 but has since moved from the property. 

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 09:32:24 PM »
I would love to see Rapido bring the FA-2 to N Scale as the Rapido/Prairie Shadows FPA-4 looks incredible!

I would rather buy Rapido vs Atlas if given the choice.
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 09:41:19 PM »
I’m the reverse, given that Rapido releases an admittedly disproportionate amount of New Haven related models. BLI offers prototypical New Haven models on occasion, but they are Pennsy-centric for the most part. Not that this is bad for me, as Pennsy passenger equipment always had a heavy presence on New Haven rails. I won’t touch BLI’s fantasy stuff though, and they seem to be releasing a lot of it lately. Rapido rarely releases fantasy schemes.

Being that you are a New Haven fan I get completely where you are coming from.  Rapido definitely has a fast track to new Haven. See what I did there! 
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4703
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2022, 07:25:25 AM »
+1
I did purchase a P5a though (Pennsy freight late scheme) as it is too cool to pass up, along with a heavy Mikado (NH). Had email notifications set at MBK and placed the order as soon as I received notification.

I do agree with you though that it would be nice to see more of the Rapido HO esoteric offerings released in N. Nearly all of the freight equipment would fit seamlessly into a late 1950s New England setting, and I very much like not having cookie-cutter freight consists running around.

Though, as @Spades mentioned, N scale versions of the SP boxcar and Procor tankcar are in production, so we will see those two models sometime this year.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 07:43:21 AM by bbussey »
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

bigdawgks

• Crew
  • Respect: +188
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2022, 08:21:57 AM »
I just wish that some day they'll bring the EP-5 out in N. Ok and the county cars to help make a complete train.  :drool:

CBQ Fan

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
I gave a lot of thought to the fantasy schemes P5a but just couldn’t pull the trigger with my traction concerns. Since I model Chicago/northern Illinois my two GG1’s are a big stretch, and a proper Pennsy P5a would be a step too far!   :D :D
Brian

Way of the Zephyr

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +734
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2022, 01:42:55 PM »
They are going to release their B 100-40 Boxcar in N scale also tank car.  If you model SP up to the end. It is a all-important car. Unlike a lot of manufacturer's SP specific model products in N, it is more than dimensionally accurate, it looks like the real thing.

This not a knock against the other manufacturers product.  I am grateful they made the models, but nice if you don't have to carve and rebuild or just live with the poor rendering.  Rapido's B 100-40 looks like a winner

Hoping the B 100-40 and GP 20 tanks are as high quality as their passenger cars and engines. Honestly, given the numbers, I am not sure N scale could support some of their more esoteric HO offerings. Some of those engines are pretty rare birds other than the roads that had them.

As for BLI, I refuse to pay their prices for sound I don't want, and from what I read their decoders are second rate anyway.
Peter Pfotenhauer

RockGp40

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +285
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »
+5
This whole thread reminds me that we (and Rapido) lost its biggest N scale ambassador a few years back. RIP Pud!
No farms, no food. Support your local farmer's market!

I stand with Israel.

dem34

• Crew
  • Only here to learn through Osmosis
  • Respect: +1182
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
I just wish that some day they'll bring the EP-5 out in N. Ok and the county cars to help make a complete train.  :drool:

And for those into other things. The EP5s in their later life wandered around the NY metro  area as freight motors for the PC and in the end died under CR on the Secondary lines around New Brunswick NJ.
-Al

sirenwerks

• Crew
  • Respect: +377
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2022, 10:07:38 PM »

Rapido has yet to manufacture a loco I can use and I accept there's very little chance it will produce some diesels I can use (ahem, Baldwins).   

Its B100-40s are just north of my intended era, but I am looking forward to the GP20s in early paint schemes and hope it will consider doing more freight cars a decade or so earlier than the -40s.

Otherwise, I like the company's energy and feel, whether it makes something I can use or not, it's doing something for the hobby.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 10:34:24 PM by sirenwerks »
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8997
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2022, 10:25:57 PM »
+2
This whole thread reminds me that we (and Rapido) lost its biggest N scale ambassador a few years back. RIP Pud!

Truth. It's the reason why I continue to wish Rapido would do something to write them a four figure check.

They took such good care of Mike in his last year I can't help but root for them every chance I get.