Author Topic: How has Kato never done The City of New Orleans?  (Read 6800 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +168
Re: How has Kato never done The City of New Orleans?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2020, 12:34:09 AM »
Zephyr Rocket had rebuilt 8-1-3 (Zephyr Tower and Rocket Tower) and 10-3 (Minneapolis and Cedar Rapids) that are nothing like anything Kato offers

http://ndem.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3595328

I can't find a picture of the 10-3

Post war didn't they use RI PS 22 roomette sleepers and either Burlington or Rock 10-6 or 8-6 sleepers?

squirrelhunter

• Crew
  • Respect: +168
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2020, 12:43:03 AM »
Kato could do the baggage coach and dome parlor obs for the Twin Cities Zephyr and repaint them for the Wabash Blue Bird and I bet people would snap up both. And I'm pretty sure  that both trains were pulled by their E8A's of their respective roads.

Honestly, with Lowell Smith doing the PS coaches in the IC scheme, the ship has sailed on a Kato City of New Orleans. However Kato would be smart to re run the IC E8A's with the smooth side diner, 6-6-4 sleeper and head end cars. If I were them I'd also throw in the 21 roomette sleeper and the 4-4-2 from the Broadway Limited set...I don't think they are a perfect match for IC's 4-4-2' and 18 roomette cars, but they are probably close enough for most buyers.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2020, 01:24:58 AM »
Post war didn't they use RI PS 22 roomette sleepers and either Burlington or Rock 10-6 or 8-6 sleepers?

Looks like they were in service as late as 1960

https://web.archive.org/web/20150208074112/http://www.rits.org/www/equipment/rizeph.html

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2020, 01:30:38 AM »
Kato could do the baggage coach and dome parlor obs for the Twin Cities Zephyr and repaint them for the Wabash Blue Bird and I bet people would snap up both. And I'm pretty sure  that both trains were pulled by their E8A's of their respective roads.

Honestly, with Lowell Smith doing the PS coaches in the IC scheme, the ship has sailed on a Kato City of New Orleans. However Kato would be smart to re run the IC E8A's with the smooth side diner, 6-6-4 sleeper and head end cars. If I were them I'd also throw in the 21 roomette sleeper and the 4-4-2 from the Broadway Limited set...I don't think they are a perfect match for IC's 4-4-2' and 18 roomette cars, but they are probably close enough for most buyers.

They should also swap the PS dome that came with the 4 car set with a Budd Dome

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4474112

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6311
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2020, 01:50:33 AM »
It's actually Steve Goodman...
You know what's ironic?  For a prolific songwriter and musician, you ask Alexa to play Steve Goodman, she can only come up with "Gentle on My Mind"

Stupid internet.  Give me a real disc jockey, please.
Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

arbomambo

• Crew
  • Respect: +1050
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »
This...
1950+ Sunset Limited (as seen in this beautiful print by John Winfield)
Kato could get some serious mileage from most of the consist, plus, get some serious sales of the re-issued PA’s in Daylight colors, as well of sales of the new E7 when released in Daylight colors (and a 2nd headlight).
Kato knows that western roads SELL (ATSF, UP, and SP-especially in Daylight colors)

"STILL Thrilled to be in N scale!"

Bruce M. Arbo
CATT- Coastal Alabama T-TRAK
https://nationalt-traklayout.com/

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2020, 10:27:28 AM »

The new Kato 4-4-2 car in the 20th Century set is a match, as IC either had several painted as run through cars, or rostered identical cars - NYC Eads and Brooklyn Bridges were sold to IC in 1958.

Of note, several former PRR Inn series roomette cars turned coaches did end up in IC colors under Iowa Pacific auspices...

Point353

• Crew
  • Respect: +754
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2020, 11:17:02 AM »
You know what's ironic?  For a prolific songwriter and musician, you ask Alexa to play Steve Goodman, she can only come up with "Gentle on My Mind"
Stupid internet.  Give me a real disc jockey, please.
That's why there's YouTube.

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +353
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2020, 02:51:04 PM »
The Arlo Guthrie Show with guests Steve Goodman and Hoyt Axton

Skip ahead to 11:00 to hear Arlo sing "City of New Orleans"
Steve Goodman joins at 16:00
Steve Goodman solo at 20:00
Arlo shows back up about 33:10 and introduces Hoyt Axton.
They all sing a song then Hoyt goes solo about 38:20
Arlo and Steve come back about 45:30
John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »
+1
My son grew up on the Johnny Cash version and would sing along with it when he was 3-4 years old. He's 16 now. But then again he could do a killer Folsom Prison Blues at that same age.

Tony Hines

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +518
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2020, 12:53:36 AM »
Ok, Since this topic, I have been doing a lot of looking at pictures, and reading about the City Of New Orleans, Now I really want one also....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2178
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2020, 03:18:18 PM »
+2
And if you love Amtrak AND the Illinois Central, tack some IC-scheme cars on the back of your Amtrak era City of New Orleans to celebrate the late, great, Pullman Rail Adventures version (2012-2015)....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3211383

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/01/04-pullman-rail-journeys

Some people loved the IC, and some people LOVED the IC.

But my conversations with Kato have also included that the 'full trainset buyers/collectors' are as much if not more Japanese as US, so what you really need to find on YouTube is a Japanese Karaoke version of the song and determine if it's even known at all over there.   That may or may not be part of the "American Mystique" that sells well in Japan.   The whole reason they don't do individual cars is that they still consider the 'full train' in Japan the primary market, and it's implied that you're lucky what you get.    That actually creates opportunity, because every time I've wanted a specific car I buy the train, break it up and auction it, and always end up with a free car with that stunt.

They are a very disciplined financial and production model suggested by US but controlled by Japan, and if you make a massive miscalculation (like a warehouse full of RDC's because MU's and self-propelled cars sell really well in Japan) it's not soon forgotten.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 03:43:06 PM by randgust »

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2020, 03:46:43 PM »
And if you love Amtrak AND the Illinois Central, tack some IC-scheme cars on the back of your Amtrak era City of New Orleans to celebrate the late, great, Pullman Rail Adventures version (2012-2015)....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3211383

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2016/01/04-pullman-rail-journeys

Some people loved the IC, and some people LOVED the IC.

But my conversations with Kato have also included that the 'full trainset buyers/collectors' are as much if not more Japanese as US, so what you really need to find on YouTube is a Japanese Karaoke version of the song and determine if it's even known at all over there.   That may or may not be part of the "American Mystique" that sells well in Japan.   The whole reason they don't do individual cars is that they still consider the 'full train' in Japan the primary market, and it's implied that you're lucky what you get.    That actually creates opportunity, because every time I've wanted a specific car I buy the train, break it up and auction it, and always end up with a free car with that stunt.

They are a very disciplined financial and production model suggested by US but controlled by Japan, and if you make a massive miscalculation (like a warehouse full of RDC's because MU's and self-propelled cars sell really well in Japan) it's not soon forgotten.

Also ICG business cars in Amtrak paint

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 03:48:35 PM by cjm413 »

cjm413

• Crew
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2020, 03:51:10 PM »
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 03:53:34 PM by cjm413 »

cjm413

• Crew