Author Topic: Another GG1  (Read 7183 times)

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6415
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
Re: Another GG1
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 10:39:48 PM »
+3
Con Cor is going to make one too, and it will be available in Santa Fe, Milwaukee Road, and Southern Railway! :trollface:
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4705
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 10:59:42 PM »
+1
I'm patiently waiting for the Bachmann parts to become available,, which is supposed to happen this year.  Then I can buy a bunch of their sprung equalized pans.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5252
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 12:41:19 AM »
I'm patiently waiting for the Bachmann parts to become available,, which is supposed to happen this year.  Then I can buy a bunch of their sprung equalized pans.

That is one good thing about Bachmann GG1.  :)
. . . 42 . . .

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1432
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 01:58:44 AM »
The FF2 would also work for GN modelers, so would have a wider variety of paint schemes. 

For whoever mentioned the Little Joe, I'd rather have a MILW Boxcab.  It would also be simpler to build...
N Kalanaga
Be well

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1651
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 08:08:15 AM »
 :facepalm:

isn't this just a variety of the discussion we keep having about SD40-2s?  Of fthe top of my head I count ConCor, early Bachmann, early Kato, recent Kato, and IM, all with their own flaws and some with their better points.  And yes, there were many more SD40-2s the GG-1s, but each is an iconic American locomotive.  Frankly if this move by BLI pushes some of the Katos and Bachmanns onto the secondary market at enough of a discount i may well buy one just to have.

:facepalm:
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

cjm413

• Crew
  • Respect: +145
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 08:32:16 AM »
GG1's everywhere and not a Little Joe in sight...  :ashat:

Lets me save my money at least  :D

Little Goe

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9115
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:02 AM »
+1
Con Cor is going to make one too, and it will be available in Santa Fe, Milwaukee Road, and Southern Railway! :trollface:

And "Freedom"...

MichaelWinicki

• Crew
  • Respect: +335
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »
As a business guy I'm often puzzled by the choices manufactures make when it comes to "what to build"– Sometimes it appears to be nothing more than a list of locomotive models on a dart board and the lucky winner is... !

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2404
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Ya' kno'... my mind keeps wandering to the totally unsubstantiated notion that there is a new person or persons who bankrolled BLI's resurgence, with a big influx of funds allowing them to finish the otherwise floundering M1a. The baggage this generosity carries is "pet projects" which seem to be recapturing a lost childhood with a Lionel loop under the Christmas tree, or other I-wanna-haves that make no sense in the bigger market. How else can you explain things like stock cars and water towers "With sound!", the thunder & lightning toy, and - don't forget - those train-sound sneakers?

Lionel made limited numbers of a "GG-1" which is a high-demand collectible, so if my deductions are any indication, it follows that "I must have one!" in N. That the one-off Pennsy S-2 is in the recent "hybrid brass" HO line slightly reinforces this notion, as Lionel's version of the S-2 was and is a very popular low-maintenance steamer for the tinplate crowd.

Just thinkin' out loud, and FWIW.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 11:32:41 AM »
I talked to the BLI rep in Sacramento a couple of years ago about what their next products would be. His comment to me was that it's not a coincidence that the company's name is what it is. The owner is apparently an SPF. I think they're just doing locomotives that they see having mass appeal (T1, GG1) and darn the torpedoes. Good news for me!
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9261
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
I talked to the BLI rep in Sacramento a couple of years ago about what their next products would be. His comment to me was that it's not a coincidence that the company's name is what it is. The owner is apparently an SPF. I think they're just doing locomotives that they see having mass appeal (T1, GG1) and darn the torpedoes. Good news for me!

HO seems to support many manufacturers of GG1s...  Guessing that's part of the logic too?  I remain skeptical that that will "scale" to N scale (no pun intended).  I can almost guarantee that if BLI can finally get their N scale momentum up that they'll be offering a K4, and likely in at least two of the same road numbers as the Bachmann ones (1361 and 3750).

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2404
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
Well, I hope that's the case for you SPFs. Carry on. I really can't squawk too much, they've done an OK job on the handful of passenger diesels I have from them, especially the road-specific detailing.

However, there needs to be a corresponding manufacturer for us SUPFs. Kato has some of the iconic UP stuff, but they're so conservative they won't dare do things like DDs, turbines, or any of the historic signature diesel power. That they're considering (via their poll) dabbling in Big Boys and Challengers was/is a surprise, even though they'd be slam-dunks.

Any UP fan out there with an idle bankroll who wants to underwrite N models? Anybody? Bueller?  :D
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1033
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »

I just had a really fun idea... take a few Kato GG1s and place them on the BLI booth at the NMRA convention with the other N models..

:trollface:

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5252
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
+3
I have no problem with BLI favoring Pennsy models, but why another GG1? Pennsy had oodles and oodles of iconic and unique motive power (models of which I'm sure would sell very well to SPFs and to casual collectors).
. . . 42 . . .