Author Topic: Best Of The TP56/TP70 Kitbash thread N scale  (Read 98809 times)

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
Re: The TP56/TP70 Kitbash thread N scale
« Reply #690 on: May 09, 2023, 09:00:03 PM »
Congrats Ron - this kitbash was very cool and entertaining.  8)  Too bad that it took MR 5 years to figure that out.  :D

Congratulations Ron!
Also thanks for the update about the 1:1 locos.
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #691 on: May 15, 2023, 05:49:47 PM »
Much congratulations on the MR article, Ron.  It's a tough nut to crack, especially with intense hands-on craftsman pieces like this.  The fact that they actually ran an article like this makes me want to go pick up a few issues and give them another try.  (I don't know many times I have subscribed when they do an issue that gives me hope, only to let it lapse when their article content drifts off into space, far away from craftsman style work). 

They can sit on an article for years (5, in your case) before somebody there decides it is a "fit" for an issue they are working on.
I often wonder how it is that they even manage to find a piece and fit it into the "current issue" when it's been sitting in their files for years.

Anyway, more to the thread topic: beautiful work, as always, Ron.  I have been following along quietly.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #692 on: July 15, 2023, 02:49:05 AM »
I know I'm late to the party on this, but I saw a copy of the June MR with Ron's TP56 article in it, so I bought it.
I must say, it's even better than I expected (and I expected it to be good).
The whole prototype backstory, plus a nice scale drawing, and some really good photos, on top of all the usual
highly-explained step-by-step we have all come to expect from Ron's work here on Railwire, are all presented
in the magazine very thoroughly.  I'm glad MR didn't skimp on details or page space with this.
And once again, Ron, congratulations on a beautiful piece of work and article.

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #693 on: July 23, 2024, 09:53:57 PM »
+3
Thanks for the compliments on the article.

July 2024 Critter update:

Tractive Power Corporation has some new info.

They have sold a second TP90 to Richardson.
These photos are of the first.  Have not found photos of the second yet.

They posted an advertising video which highlights the very first (and shorter) TP56.    I took some screen captures.   These are the first decent shots I've found since they painted the herald on the loco.  It was a gray day, so the shots from the drone are not that great- but still helpful.

They announced a new buyer for a TP70 (the model I made).  This one is for United Cooperative.

And here is the loco for that company.  Same logo is on the critter.

You'll notice that they started adding a raised exhaust stack.  We assume they got complaints and made an adjustment (the earlier locos vented exhaust right from the hood roof).

And then they announced two more sales, but I have not been able to see photos yet.

They sold their biggest critter to date:  a TP130.
Sold to Wolverine Terminals in Prince Rupert in British Columbia Canada.

They also announced a second sale of a TP130.  This one to:  Marquis Energy in Illinois southeast of Chicago, an ethanol producer.   That one might still be under construction.  Hopefully the company will post photos in the future.  Marquis appears to have a black SW1500 now.

Their logo is kind of cool.   I assume it will be on the TP130 eventually.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2207
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #694 on: July 24, 2024, 05:26:13 PM »
Curry did not really love theirs, although they enthusiastically paid way too much for my model when they saw it running at Altoona a couple years ago, and mine didn't run anywhere near as well as yours did.

And, now, unless I'm missing something, you can't get the body shell, at least not from Shapeways!

Dwight in Toronto

• Crew
  • Respect: +357
« Reply #695 on: July 24, 2024, 07:55:54 PM »
This build thread got underway long before I became a RW participant, so I’ve just spent the better part of the day studying its 7 year progression.

I just wanted to say “magnificent work guys”, and thank you for producing such an interesting and informative build thread … very inspiring.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #696 on: July 25, 2024, 01:36:14 PM »
+1
@randgust I just acquired a commercial license from David for the shell, both in N and HO.  If anyone would like to make a TP56, let me know.  8)
Aaron Bearden

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1952
    • My website
« Reply #697 on: July 25, 2024, 08:36:47 PM »
@randgust I just acquired a commercial license from David for the shell, both in N and HO.  If anyone would like to make a TP56, let me know.  8)

I'm so jazzed about this.   I'm really glad David sold the rights to the files to Aaron.

This project has bounced around through the years.   I'm glad these files have found a new permanent home for a creator.

I think Aaron might be more willing to make some of the variations.   What David made was most accurate for the TP70.
But with some minor tweaking (like headlight placement), other variations could be made.

Congrats Aaron.

Which means..... this thread has new life for those who want to make one of these really cool locomotives.   I eventually plan to make another.

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2207
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #698 on: July 26, 2024, 11:08:48 AM »
If anybody wants to see a 'super critter' that actually is worth something, stop by me in Altoona this year to see my Republic RX500

https://www.republiclocomotive.com/wp-content/uploads/ati-republic-img-large.jpg

After I built that I decided not to further frustrate myself on the TP56/70 concept.   Looked great but like a lot of my critters, less than satisfactory as a functional switcher.   I've done a couple more as custom builds.  Those have set the bar for me for performance for sure.  Right up there with the Bachmann 44-ton and 70-ton drives.

I got to see those in action down at Natrona ATI, and that proved to me they are actually just quite the little locomotive.   Not battery or hybrid, but AC, and in the 44-ton range for size although they don't look it. 

Different plant, but in action: 
/>
I've got shells for this in stock, the kicker has been whether I wanted to drop a grand on etchings.   I can still fabricate the handrails and grabs way less inexpensive on a custom build.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 11:21:43 AM by randgust »