Author Topic: Trouble Posting Photos from Google  (Read 9399 times)

squirrelhunter

• Crew
Re: Trouble Posting Photos from Google
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 11:15:52 PM »
So after screwing around with Google Photos for a hour trying to post pics, is our only not kludge option at the point to use railmages? And I say this as someone whos only impression of railimages is that on the old A board people were always asking if it was down or why it was down...

wcfn100

• Crew
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2016, 01:51:25 AM »
Anyone with Google Photos can still use Picasaweb to embed photos.  It's all your same albums and pictures as Google Photos and it still works perfectly.

Jason
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:52:58 AM by wcfn100 »

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 10:05:20 AM »
Just to simplify things, I just spent about an hour figuring out and testing how to upload to Google Photos, and get them to post here at TRW.

It's not complicated, but not as easy as posting from now discontinued and no-longer-accessible Picasa except through Google Photos Album Archive.

I won't 'splain how to upload your photos, since that's easy to figure out.

Just to clarify, I'm running Win7 Pro 64bit, so if you're using a Mac or a newer/older Win OS, or Linux, then your experience might be different....

Here's how to make your photos appear here from Google Photos:

(1) Go to Google Photos here:  https://photos.google.com  You have to be signed on in your Google account, and all of your Picasa uploads will be there in their respective albums after you sign on.  If you're at Picasaweb, you're really in Google Photos.  As far as I can tell, the old Picasa website isn't extant any longer.

(2) Click on an album and then right click on a photo you want to post here.  Then click on "Copy Image Location"

(3) At TRW when you're in the posting menu, right click where you want your photo to appear and press "Paste"

(4) Go to the end of the code you've just pasted, and without any spaces type ?.jpg  This applies if your photo is a jpg I assume.  All my uploads at Picasa were jpg's so if yours are bmp's or tif's, or RAW files, I don't know.

(5) Highlight the code you've just added to, then click on the "Insert Image" icon in the post menu toolbar

(6) Write the rest of your post just like you normally do here and review or post it.

(7) Your image will appear in your post just like it used to using Picasa with the exception that as far as I know, Google Photos doesn't give you a choice as to the size you want it posted, and in my case, the photos were posted here in a nice "large" size. 

(8 ) Jason let us know that varying the size of the photo posted is possible after you've copied the "image location" and pasted it here,  by going to the end of the URL, where the width and height are specified, then replacing the width ( w ) numbers with how small you want it to appear here...for example ...w1533 with w800.  Height ( h ) will automatically adjust, so leave it alone.  Very cool...

Hope this makes it easier for those of you who haven't figured out how to post photos from your old Picasa albums yet.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:03:08 AM by robert3985 »

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »

It's not complicated, but not as easy as posting from now discontinued and no-longer-accessible Picasa except through Google Photos Album Archive.

Picasaweb still works just fine although no longer supported.  It was just the desktop version that got axed.

Adding the .jpg is s solution that's been out there, but without being able to control the image sizes, it's not a very friendly solution.  Picasaweb still allows for adjusting the images and from someone who uses his phone quite a bit, maybe we need to bring back some sort of tag in the subject line if people are posting only full size images.

Jason
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 11:24:52 AM by wcfn100 »

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »
Picasaweb still works just fine although no longer supported.  It was just the desktop version that got axed.

Adding the .jpg is s solution that's been out there, but without being able to control the image sizes, it's not a very friendly solution.  Picasaweb still allows for adjusting the images and from someone who uses his phone quite a bit, maybe we need to bring back some sort of tag in the subject line if people are posting only full size images.

Jason

Okay Jason, when I go to "Picasaweb" either using the link posted in this thread, or attempt to figure out a different web address for it (which I did just now),  it takes me to Google Photos Archive.  Do you have a specific web address for "picasaweb"????  Or, is it just that you haven't been there in a couple of days and now it's inaccessible unbeknownst to you?

I would much prefer Picasa over Google Photos, but...I can't upload any new photos into it now...but the last time I actually was on the Picasa site was only four days ago...uploads were still working as well as everything else.  Yesterday, my bookmark to Picasa Albums took me to Google Photos Archive.

Let us know soon okay?

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 11:29:21 AM »
Hmm, Picasaweb still works for me as well, with the following url:

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

I log in with my standard Google credentials and I'm good to go.   I did an upload and posting yesterday, but as a test, I tried a fresh upload this morning to a new album.  Here is the image:

I have no idea why it's not working for you Bob.

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2016, 11:44:11 AM »
Yesterday, my bookmark to Picasa Albums took me to Google Photos Archive.

Let us know soon okay?

When I start typing, Chrome autofills to picasaweb.google.com and when it connects, it jumps to https://picasaweb.google.com/home.  I just uploaded a photo and everything seems normal.  :?

Hopefully they aren't slowly redirecting people to Google Photos.

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 02:08:30 PM »
*****. I get internal error when I click my bookmark.

If I click Jason's link I go to:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/108067622405035699816?source=pwa

:RUEffinKiddingMe:

robert3985

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2016, 02:11:58 PM »
Hmmmm...unfortunately Picasa is gone for me.  With Gary's link, it takes me to Google Photos Archive.  However, my browser is Firefox so maybe that's part of the deal...and I just uninstalled Picasa...so it's a moot point.  I usually keep the photos as big as possible anyway, so the whole being-able-to-choose-photo-size thing didn't make any difference to me.

I've got a feeling that the "redirecting" of everybody is underway and it just hasn't arrived for some people yet.

Google has done us a disservice with this.   :x  I much prefer Picasa.

Cheerio!
Bob Gilmore

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2016, 02:12:08 PM »
So where do I put my photos now?

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 02:17:42 PM »
Oh crap, mines gone too.

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »
Just read this from a while back.

Google photos will not maintain any local folder structure to store your albums in. Period. Picasa, that great product you decided to abandon, did however. Organising 4000 photos and videos spread over a 15 year period of your life into albums using Google Photos online click-fest interface, is AT BEST incredibly laborious and impossible to do quickly. At worst, it's simply unfeasible. Once you have 30 albums or more, adding photos to an existing album becomes a "squint and scroll" clickathon with no simple way to simply type the album name in with partial matching to bring it up. Got photos in your Google Photos that are orphaned and not in any albums? (And let's face it, how could you possibly KNOW that you don't?) Good luck finding them. Google Photos doesn't care, they're goners. Apparently that didn't seem like a useful feature. In the "photos" view, it gives no indication of whether a photo resides in an album or not. Want to download all your painstakingly created albums to your computer into like-named folder structure? Nup. Go away. Google photos doesn't care. It would simply have you look at a list of folders named by date and let your steel-trap-like-memory do the hard yards for what you were up to on the 4th of December in 2002.

Chris333

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2016, 05:09:20 PM »
Without the ability to post photos what exactly is the purpose of Google Photos?

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 06:31:43 PM »
Mine's gone now too -- I was hoping they'd just orphan it.  Nothing like forced migration.  :x

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
While I never joined Picassa or Google photos I seem to notice a trend on many photo hosting sites that they like to present photos in a "photo-stream", or even randomized fashion with no organization. Like Yahoo Groups for example has a photo section. But instead of showing nice structured view, they just randomly pick bunch of photos and thrown the on the screen.  Folders are still there, but one must dig through the options to find that view (and it is not persistent).  Then, when viewing the album the photo viewer doesn't just show the photo on the screen. Oh no, the photo slowly pans around the screen. Why? I don't know - maybe they think it is cute or maybe it is designed by millennials for millennials with zero attention span who would be bored by a photo which didn't move around the screen.  :facepalm:
. . . 42 . . .