Author Topic: ADM Corn Syrup Transload Winnipeg, MB  (Read 4219 times)

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
  • Respect: +1143
ADM Corn Syrup Transload Winnipeg, MB
« on: May 29, 2016, 07:01:39 PM »
+4
Here's a few detail photo's of ADM's Winnipeg transload, served by BNSF.   

In an effort to not flood Lucas's build thread with photos I started this tread, I figured they might be of interest to many since there's been alot of interest in modeling them.

Here's an aerial photo of the site to give some context to the photos.

...and here is the photos, all taken May 29, 2016.

The Railwire is not your personal army.  :trollface:

milw12

• Crew
  • Respect: +333
Re: ADM Corn Syrup Transload Winnipeg, MB
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
Very cool, I didn't realize these were from today- thanks for the field work, this is a great resource. Looks like a beautiful day for outdoor photography.

The piping run along the ground is interesting, seems pretty low budget/seasonal, perhaps? Good luck finding that after a good snow. The skid of fittings is pretty telling too  :D

There is a Tate and Lyle facility in Duluth MN as well that may be worth checking out, but I have no idea if it's corn syrup related or not, there's tank cars spotted but who know? Looks more involved given the building size. Not to hijack this thread, of course.

mstl 246

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 09:47:19 PM »
Looks like the Tate and Lyle plant in Duluth is used to make Malic and Fumaric acid which adds tartness to food.

No clue what those acids are but this article covers it pretty well:
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/content/made-northland-tate-lyle-puts-tart-sweettarts-0

Nat

mstl 246

• Crew
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:06:53 PM »
Looks like I can't edit my message here with my post count. Sorry for the double post.

Great photos Ryan! Interesting to see how minimal a corn syrup site can be and the use of portable buildings onsite.

Nat

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:25:40 PM »
The piping run along the ground is interesting, seems pretty low budget/seasonal, perhaps? Good luck finding that after a good snow. The skid of fittings is pretty telling too  :D

I know there's cars there year round I'm not sure what they do in the winter time, not a job I'd enjoy!

Low tech is right the hose just went inside a door on the shipping container, no buried piping or anything...

Thanks for the comments guys...

mu26aeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +3474
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 02:40:49 PM »
I find it hard to believe that if this was food grade corn syrup the hoses would just be laying on the ground for anything to crawl into  :scared:

At the nearby Dr Pepper Snapple Group bottling plant, they use steam to warm up the syrup to ease with unloading.  Jack Hill documented the switching process on his blog, which unfortunately he has not updated for quite a few years.

http://oscalewcor.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-corn-syrup-flows.html

Missaberoad

• Crew
  • Ryan in Alberta
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 04:21:21 PM »
I find it hard to believe that if this was food grade corn syrup the hoses would just be laying on the ground for anything to crawl into  :scared:

Is there a non food use for corn syrup? a few minutes of research and I couldn't find one... I'd be interested to know...

It is the beginning of the production process, anything can crawl into a grain auger too.  :D

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:26:20 PM by Missaberoad »

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1701
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2023, 09:33:02 AM »
Just found this thread -- nice pics!  Has anyone ever tried building this facility (or similar) on a layout or dio?

Seems an ideal candidate for a spur on a shelf.

Ed

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2023, 10:06:57 AM »
There’s one that is a bit of anachronism we would drive by in Memphis; just off the CN yard and literally hemmed in by new apartments on two sides. Takes both corn syrup tankers as well as hoppers from what I could tell.

Sugar Services LLC
(901) 523-0045
https://maps.app.goo.gl/JFrRcnGQ4K9eT1J67?g_st=ic
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech