Author Topic: Any idea what I could use to model this 2-6-2?  (Read 6396 times)

PGE_Modeller

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
Re: Any idea what I could use to model this 2-6-2?
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2016, 01:52:28 AM »
This is the one that I asked them to change my order to. I guess I'll find out what version it is when I see it.

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-N-Prairie-2-6-2-Tender-CN-p/bac-51563.htm

Craig

From the photograph, it looks as though the contact for the motor leads is further aft (i.e. the square portion is father behind the rear driver) than on the original version of the locomotive.  The trailing truck position and mounting method do not appear to have been changed.

Cheers,

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5151
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2016, 04:30:32 AM »
An excellent write up (with pictures) covering all the versions of those models (including photos with the shell off) is at http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bach262.html
. . . 42 . . .

BCR 570

• Crew
  • Respect: +3673
    • BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2016, 02:15:00 PM »
Yes I have seen that and it has been helpful.  It identifies the latest version as dating from 2015; unfortunately most online listings with retailers are vague a to which version they are offering.  it appears that some are still selling old stock of the previous version, so one has to be careful when ordering.  Even Bachmann's own webstore site has a photograph of the old version with the motor hanging out the back. 

Tim

T. Horton
North Vancouver, B.C.
BCR Dawson Creek Subdivision in N Scale
www.bcrdawsonsub.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3MbxkZkx7zApSYCHqu2IYQ

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
Has anyone tried to put sound in one of the Athearn 2-6-0 releases?
After watching the videos it just screams put sound in me!  :D :D

Jon

craigolio1

• Crew
  • Respect: +1730
« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
I've noticed the same thing as far as what's advertised being vague. Like Tim said, even Bachmann isn't clear in their representation. At least MB Klein says Rapido or knuckle couplers.

I was on the phone with the rep from MB Klein and he physically made the change for me so I know I'm getting a version that has knuckle couplers, indicating its one of the more recent releases but beyond that it's a guess. At least I was able to make that change (thanks Tim).  The one I had ordered was so old it didn't even have traction tires. I too have been on Spookshow's website many times and from what I understand that one is one if the oldest ones. The funny thing is they are the same sale price right now at MB Klein.

When it arrives I'll post some pictures and let you know which one it is.

Craig.

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5632
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2016, 07:00:19 AM »
It looks like the Kato C12 won't help you, but I just bought one and can report that the drivers are .359" or 57.4" in N. It is also one of the sweetest running steam locomotives I have ever seen in N scale. The rear driver is geared with a TT and the other 2 drivers are sprung. It hugs the rails. I wish we could get some smaller North American steam from Kato.

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31:15 AM »
It looks like the Kato C12 won't help you, but I just bought one and can report that the drivers are .359" or 57.4" in N. It is also one of the sweetest running steam locomotives I have ever seen in N scale. The rear driver is geared with a TT and the other 2 drivers are sprung. It hugs the rails. I wish we could get some smaller North American steam from Kato.

Not to derail the thread (sorry  :oops:) but it would be wonderful if Kato did a USRA 0-6-0.

brokemoto

• Crew
  • Respect: +202
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »
Has anyone tried to put sound in one of the Athearn 2-6-0 releases?

Someone who posts on Trainboard got a decoder AND sound into either the Mogul or Consolidated; I forget which one.  I think that his name is Mark, or something like that.  He also put up a topic on improving the LL 0-6-0T as well as some other topics on modelling the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.  He has posted videos of his efforts.

There really is no need for Kato to do a USRA 0-6-0.  The latest version of the B-mann, as  modified with SPECTRUM tender, is an excellent locomotive.  It creeps every bit as well and smoothly as any Kato.   The tender swap is not difficult.  Spookshow explains how to do it on his website.  He does state that if you use the slopeback, you need not do any surgery to the tender chassis.  All honour and respect to Spookshow, always, but it has been my experience that doing similar surgery on the slpeback yields better performance.  The pulling power leaves a little to be desired, but that is due more to its small size than anything else.

If Kato were to do any more USRA power, its efforts might better be directed at another wheel arrangement, such as the heavy Pacific.   While only Erie had these, and a class of copies, there were other copies out there.  B&O even had a class that it rebuilt into what were basically copies of the USRA heavy Pacific.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 11:07:31 AM by brokemoto »

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5151
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2016, 01:24:13 PM »

There really is no need for Kato to do a USRA 0-6-0.  The latest version of the B-mann, as  modified with SPECTRUM tender, is an excellent locomotive.  It creeps every bit as well and smoothly as any Kato.   

I would never put Kato and Bachmann in the same class.  It is not just the running quality or slow speed.  It is about the overall execution of the model and overall quality. Bachmann is all over the place while Kato is much more consistent. I suspect that Chris knows exactly what I'm talkign about.  :)

Kind of like comparing a Harbor Freight tool to an equivalent Snap-On tool. Both work but....
. . . 42 . . .

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1853
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2016, 01:32:16 PM »
I would never put Kato and Bachmann in the same class.  It is not just the running quality or slow speed.  It is about the overall execution of the model and overall quality. Bachmann is all over the place while Kato is much more consistent. I suspect that Chris knows exactly what I'm talkign about.  :)

Kind of like comparing a Harbor Freight tool to an equivalent Snap-On tool. Both work but....

I have to agree.  And the boiler detailing, even on the newest version, is cleaner than the old ones, but still pretty crude.
One other thing.  Is it just me, or does every version of that Bachmann 0-6-0 seem to have the boiler shell crooked, where the cab end is jacked up in the air and the whole shell slopes forward?

N Scale desperately needs a really high-quality, low-geared, good-running and good-looking steam switcher.  It has never had one.  The Walthers 0-8-0, for all its woes, was the closest thing we've had.  The boiler detailing was outstanding, the motor and gearing were good, and it was geared pretty low.  But that was a *big* switcher.  The 0-6-0 and even an 0-4-0, were steam switchers that every railroad had to have.  No yard in the steam era should be without those staples, and yet there isn't a model.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1615
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2016, 02:26:34 PM »
I think the Northern Pacific had almost 100 of the largest class L9 0-6-0's on the roster.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1853
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2016, 02:34:38 PM »
I think the Northern Pacific had almost 100 of the largest class L9 0-6-0's on the roster.
I know.. and that's why I'm building one...  ;)

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2016, 07:27:24 PM »
It came in the mail today. The one I received, and linked to, is the latest version I believe.

Small motor, traction tires on the middle two drivers, split frame, EZ Maye knuckle couplers.

I find it funny that they are selling it for the same price as what appear to be leftovers from the '80s.

Craig

craigolio1

• Crew
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2023, 07:43:32 PM »
I can’t recall who suggested it (I took a look through this thread and couldn’t find it) but someone suggested I take a look at a Fleischmann BR80 as a possible start. It’s a German 0-6-0. Well I was finally able to procure one for a fair price and it arrived today.

For reference this is the loco I’m wanting to model:

I took it apart and was pleasantly surprised.

One screw gets the body off:

The body and weight is completely separate from the mech which is nice as we can build that into the new body.

Inside is a 3 pole motor which easily unclips.

That red plate which the motor was sitting on comes out with one screw was well but the running gear is attached to it so I didn’t go any farther. But I did roll the motor less chassis on some track and found the flanges are fine for ME C55. On Atlas C55 they touch the spike ever so slightly.

So as a chassis goes I think it’s possible to start with this one. Now for some measurements.

The prototype drivers are 48”. This loco’s driver diameter on the tread is .269”, or 43” in N scale. On the flange is .336”, or 53.77”. Pretty close.

The wheels base on the prototype is 9ft between the centre of the 1st and 3rd driver. This loco is .777, or 10’5” in N scale. There could some variance in that measurement as I had to eyeball the alignment of the caliber. Again, pretty close. The closes I’ve found so far.

The next step would be to figure out some wheels to use for the lead and trailing trucks, and how to attach them. The plastic piece on the bottom, which has some details like brake shoes, comes off. But it is not what’s holding the wheels in which means it can be modified as needed to allow room for the front and rear trucks.

So it would seem there are some options.

Craig

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 07:57:15 PM by craigolio1 »

Peachymike

• Crew
  • Respect: +47
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2023, 09:42:41 PM »
Forgive me if this this is a repeat of information that others may have posted, but I believe the prototype started out life as Cathels and Sorenson 1, built in 1923 by MLW. Seems to me it was a static display in Ladysmith for some years, before being moved to Fort Steele. If memory serves me I think one of the magazines (Model Railroader?) published drawings. I don’t have an index but if someone does and can search “Cathels and Sorensen” and finds the issue, I likely have the issue in my stash. Problem is my stash goes back to the early 60’s so finding stuff is a little challenging. You’re welcome to it if I can find and you want it of course.