Author Topic: The Metal Wheel Wobble Factor  (Read 2417 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1853
    • Maxcow Online
Re: The Metal Wheel Wobble Factor
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
I had bought several packs fo 100 over that past few years that were all perfect.  The last one I bought, however,
had 9 duds in the bag that were broken apart.  I sent them a note, and I got an envelope with replacements in the
mail a few weeks later.

I have never had any defective wobblers in FVM wheelsets.  But I have had the ones noted above come completely
popped apart. 

I have also had the problem mentioned earlier, when popping them into a sideframe.  If you push on the
wheel that has the insulator, sometimes the plastic center will pop right out of the rim, and I have found it
almost impossible to ever get it pressed back on perfectly so that there is zero wobble to it, so I just discard
those.  But I have since learned to never press on that side to avoid this problem.

nscaler711

• Crew
  • @frs_strelizia
  • Respect: +186
    • IG
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »
Odd. Never had that problem with some of my FVMs, but I also run alot of BLMA wheels, and I love those so much better than FVM wheels.
“If you have anything you wanna say, you better spit it out while you can. Because you’re all going to die sooner or later." - Zero Two

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5631
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 06:03:44 PM »
I always chime in and say how I have many 100's of these wheels with no problems, but the last 2 packs I bought had some wobblers and some "parts" in the baggie (wheels that fell apart) and while popping them in trucks had the insulated side wheel fall off.

So now I try to hold the solid side like listed above and lock the plastic side in place with ACC.

Still I bought enough NWSL wheels to do 5 cars (20 axles), they were $70. For $60 in FVM wheels I can do 25 cars (100 axles). For that I will live with the problems.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1853
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »
I always chime in and say how I have many 100's of these wheels with no problems, but the last 2 packs I bought had some wobblers and some "parts" in the baggie (wheels that fell apart) and while popping them in trucks had the insulated side wheel fall off.

So now I try to hold the solid side like listed above and lock the plastic side in place with ACC.

Still I bought enough NWSL wheels to do 5 cars (20 axles), they were $70. For $60 in FVM wheels I can do 25 cars (100 axles). For that I will live with the problems.

Hmmmm... yeah, I have definitely been watching this because my experiences are similar.
They used to be 100% rock solid, but in the past year or so, I have had these fall-apart and pop-off problems
that I never had before, which makes me worry that QC is slipping.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5130
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »

They used to be 100% rock solid, but in the past year or so, I have had these fall-apart and pop-off problems
that I never had before, which makes me worry that QC is slipping.

Or maybe manufacturing moved to a different company or plant.
. . . 42 . . .

rrjim1

• Crew
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 05:32:39 AM »
I have purchased hundreds and have always found a couple defective ones in each bag. The ones with defective wheels/axles were replaced by FVM. I made new bushing out of Delrin for the few with defective bushings.