Author Topic: Custom Paint Work and Decals  (Read 2050 times)

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
Custom Paint Work and Decals
« on: June 08, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »
Does anybody know where I could commission someone for some custom work?  I am looking to get both paint and decals done.

I have tried making my own decals, but lacking the skill to properly draw the decals out, they have always come out horribly wrong.

I know MicroScale does custom decals, but at a min of 250sheets I won't be hitting that minimum anytime soon as my decals will not be something widely wanted besides me, maybe except Eric20.
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Modeling a modern Pennsylvania Railroad 1996-Present

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
Re: Custom Paint Work and Decals
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:17:05 PM »
What are you wanting done?
James R. Will

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:05 PM »
Get a hold of JDG. Bob.

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 02:17:26 AM »
What are you wanting done?

A repaint of some JP proto EMU, Metroliners, Amfeets, Viewliners and various locos into a Pennsy fantasy scheme.

When I get home from work, I will quickly sketch and scan some stuff up. 

Basically think Amtrak's Phase IV/VI aka IVb in Pennsy Tuscan Red w/Gold stripes, a Keystone at one end of each car. 

I figure with the Amfleets and Viewliners, I might be able to get away with redecalling what I have without a total repaint.

Now here is where it gets complicated.  All Diesels will have the front in Tuscan Red, which then swoops (if that is the right word) into the middle creating the same stripes as on the passenger cars.  Above the stripes would have "Pennsylvania" in gold lettering.  While the Elecs will have the same pattern, but on both ends since eithe end can be the front.

Get a hold of JDG. Bob.

Sorry, who is JDG?
“My deeds must be my life. When I am gone, they will speak for me.”- Stephen Girard

Bob Horn

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 03:40:39 PM »
jdg,, from VA, member here.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5121
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 03:54:53 PM »
Ah, I was wondering about that myself. Here is his profile: https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=3301
. . . 42 . . .

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 04:18:10 PM »
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

jimmo

• Crew
  • Representing Willmodels
  • Respect: +6
    • Willmodels
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:40:10 PM »
A repaint of some JP proto EMU, Metroliners, Amfeets, Viewliners and various locos into a Pennsy fantasy scheme.

When I get home from work, I will quickly sketch and scan some stuff up. 

Basically think Amtrak's Phase IV/VI aka IVb in Pennsy Tuscan Red w/Gold stripes, a Keystone at one end of each car. 

I figure with the Amfleets and Viewliners, I might be able to get away with redecalling what I have without a total repaint.

Now here is where it gets complicated.  All Diesels will have the front in Tuscan Red, which then swoops (if that is the right word) into the middle creating the same stripes as on the passenger cars.  Above the stripes would have "Pennsylvania" in gold lettering.  While the Elecs will have the same pattern, but on both ends since eithe end can be the front.

Sounds expensive and way beyond my humble facilities.
James R. Will

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »
Here is some quick dirty repaint jobs of my ideas.

P42 - Will have the gold piping found on the passenger cars as well and will follow the curve going up along the front of the engine.  Also a keystone will adorn the nose of the train as well.          - http://1drv.ms/1QmERgd

Amfleet - Basically everything show here, except the white/blueish lettering will be  white or whhite with an gold outline whatever is feasable with the keystone on one end of the car.     - http://1drv.ms/1Ko1qMC

Viewliner - Same as the Amfleet      - http://1drv.ms/1Ko1uvI

@JanesCustomTrain:  Thanks I will check them out.

@peteski:  You would be glad to here that I am no longer using the horribly riveted B-Mann Metroliners, I am waiting on the Amfleet I from Kato and will  be doing a nose job with NScaleCommuter (Shapeways) Metroliner nose.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5121
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 09:01:33 PM »

@peteski:  You would be glad to here that I am no longer using the horribly riveted B-Mann Metroliners, I am waiting on the Amfleet I from Kato and will  be doing a nose job with NScaleCommuter (Shapeways) Metroliner nose.

Excellent!
Using Kato cars will make it a  worthy project.  I might even like to get one of those noses - just because I think that Metroliners are cool looking.
. . . 42 . . .

jdg

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 09:22:28 PM »
Hey it's JDG

You can always send me an email at jagowers2000@gmail.com if you would like to discuss some custom painting. I also own an Alps printer for printing desired decals.

Thanks Bob and peteski.

Jeff

dmidkiff

• Crew
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
www.parkerlocoworks.com

Jane

Thanks for the link Jane.  I prefer the referral route to advertising.

In any case, I do not have the capabilities to print the decals like Jeff does.  Your concept looks neat though and I'd be happy to help.

Doug

jdg

• Crew
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 08:16:59 PM »
I basically paint to support the hobby myself.  All gets funneled back into locos and cars.

On the PRR side, I do have the font for the loco you had pictured and can print it accordingly. 

Jeff

One of One-Sixty

• Crew
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 01:52:44 AM »
To all, thanks for the feedback and info, thiis project has been a long one in the making.  I know for sure some equipment will get repainted while others I am still on the fence with (read N'EX 253 Series) which I may just leave for commuter/mass transit.

Jeff and Doug, I will shoot you guys a PM/eMail once I get off work in the morning and start working through the details.

jdg

• Crew
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 08:25:45 PM »
Sounds good.