Author Topic: Heads Up for New Haven Fans!  (Read 989 times)

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
Re: Heads Up for New Haven Fans!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
Avoid at all costs, unless for collectible purposes.  It's an old etched brass kit of the carbody that is somewhat accurate, but it still leaves you with no mechanism, pilot porches, pantographs, and roof appliances.  I have one buried somewhere that I bought decades ago, and discovered it's better to design an EP3 model from scratch.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Spikre

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 12:29:41 PM »
 :?
  were these Sides designed to be used on a Kato or
  European Heavy Electric Model ?
  or were designed to sort of be an Impossible goal/build as Bryan suggests ?
    Spikre
     :?

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 03:12:22 PM »
Avoid at all costs, unless for collectible purposes.  It's an old etched brass kit of the carbody that is somewhat accurate, but it still leaves you with no mechanism, pilot porches, pantographs, and roof appliances.  I have one buried somewhere that I bought decades ago, and discovered it's better to design an EP3 model from scratch.

Even without all of those things, it still seems like an interesting project (either that, or I am crazy and love a challenge). Sort of interested, now (despite not modeling New Haven). I believe the Kato EF57 (japanese prototype) would likely be a decent starting point.
- Christian J. Davis

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
Even without all of those things, it still seems like an interesting project (either that, or I am crazy and love a challenge). Sort of interested, now (despite not modeling New Haven). I believe the Kato EF57 (japanese prototype) would likely be a decent starting point.

Kato GG1 has the properly-spaced 2-C+C-2 wheelbase.  The actual GG1 design was based off the EP3.  But the Kato G mechanism is too tall for the EP3 carbody.  So it's a scratchbuilding project regardless.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ChristianJDavis1

• Crew
  • I almost killed DKS.
  • Respect: +225
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
Kato GG1 has the properly-spaced 2-C+C-2 wheelbase.  The actual GG1 design was based off the EP3.  But the Kato G mechanism is too tall for the EP3 carbody.  So it's a scratchbuilding project regardless.

Interesting. What about the Arnold GG1 mechanism? I am not as familiar with them, so I am unsure of whether it would fit. I think making a mechanism would probably yield the best results, though (I am sure a few members on here could do it). Heck, I would even give it a try if I had the kit (which is even more tempting, now).
- Christian J. Davis