Author Topic: Weekend Update 5/31/15  (Read 6686 times)

pjm20

• Crew
  • Modeling the Bellefonte Central
  • Respect: +144
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Weekend Update 2015/5/31
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2015, 08:25:59 PM »
Got a new purchase:

This book provide some detail into N&W Pullmans and the operation of valley trains from Roanoke to Hagerstown. I hope to model so N&W traffic on the Pennsy, so this is very helpful. It is also filled with a ton of other info, including station drawings, so if anybody needs info, ask away!
Peter
Modeling the Bellefonte Central Railroad circa 1953
PRRT&HS #8862
Live Steam Enthusiast

Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PennsyModeler

Iain

• Crew
  • Na sgrìobhaidh a Iain
  • Respect: +372
    • The Best Puppers
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
Got a new purchase:

This book provide some detail into N&W Pullmans and the operation of valley trains from Roanoke to Hagerstown. I hope to model so N&W traffic on the Pennsy, so this is very helpful. It is also filled with a ton of other info, including station drawings, so if anybody needs info, ask away!

Yesterday's events have rekindled a bit of my interest in N&W passenger operations ...
I like ducks

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +736
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
Copied an idea from LIRR and hit my not so local Lego store (35 miles in DC weekend I95 traffic forced me to watch San Andreas to kill time. It was better than a traffic jam, but no trains in the earthquake, but PNOLAN would LOVE the container ship scene.)

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Peter Pfotenhauer

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2015, 03:22:15 AM »
Chris,
That Shay is, um,  BEAUTIFUL.   What an engine!   I wish they made something like that in N Scale.

I put the finishing touches on Klaus Bros. Furniture.   The industry is named after our beloved Doberman, Klaus,
and if you look on the narrow dock in front of the open freight door, to the right of the door, you can see
Klaus guarding his factory.  It was not easy to paint and rearrange the ears and legs of the Woodland Scenics
firefighting crew Dalmation to look like a Doberman, let me tell you.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:22:56 AM by mmagliaro »

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +523
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2015, 05:36:29 AM »
You bought a new house without exact dimensions of every possible new layout space in hand?  What sort of model railroader are you??  Poser!

Dave
This.

Greg O.

Well, when you're price range was right in the same range is the people trying to buy and flip houses, you get out bid alot, and when something comes along, that you got a realistic chance to get, and if you like it, you jump.

I can't find my tape measure, it's packed somewhere I'm sure, but I'm going to guess the room is 12x12....

Also, it has a nice 2 car garage, so some Vehicular Mayhem is also on it's way.....Muhahaha.....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1639
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »
I can't find my tape measure, it's packed somewhere I'm sure, but I'm going to guess the room is 12x12....

Also, it has a nice 2 car garage, so some Vehicular Mayhem is also on it's way.....Muhahaha.....

Only some?  Man, you are slipping!!
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

JMaurer1

• Crew
  • Respect: +306
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »
The 'original' transcontinental railroad ended in Sacramento and travelers took a boat to the coast (usually SF). Being a former member of the Niles Depot group, it's also been argued that the FINAL spike was driven in Niles Canyon since this completed the railroad all the way to the pacific coast (in 1869). This time it was an iron spike and there were no ceremonies...
Sacramento Valley NRail and NTrak
We're always looking for new members

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2015, 12:44:09 PM »
Only some?  Man, you are slipping!!

First in the Garage is my Buddy's IS300, that we are in the middle of a 2JZ-GTE Twin-Turbo'd Aristro swap right now. Over half way done right now.

Once that is runner/driver. Then it's my turn.

I'm bring my BMW E30 into the garage, and it's getting a M60B40 (4.0l V8) shoe horned into it, and a whole mess of other improvements and upgrades.

Why? Because Racecar.
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

svedblen

• Crew
  • Respect: +349
    • Three Yards Yard - beware - it is H0 - No, now it's O
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2015, 02:15:51 PM »

Great scene there! Is that really N scale?
I love all the details.
Lennart

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2015, 02:23:53 PM »
Max: that scene is just so awesome!!

Specter3

• Crew
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 02:28:07 PM »
Mike,

I have a good friend that did that for his track car. Lots of work. Have you  found the brake system from a  E34 530 yet? That helped a lot. But the M60 is really tall with the OHC and makes packaging tough. He said in hindsight he should have done the LSx instead. It was a great runner and was fast as stink at Road A and VIR but lots of creative engineering went into it. But tjis was a bit ago so maybe the info is more mainstream now. Enjoy it!

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 02:28:01 AM »
Mike,

I have a good friend that did that for his track car. Lots of work. Have you  found the brake system from a  E34 530 yet? That helped a lot. But the M60 is really tall with the OHC and makes packaging tough. He said in hindsight he should have done the LSx instead. It was a great runner and was fast as stink at Road A and VIR but lots of creative engineering went into it. But tjis was a bit ago so maybe the info is more mainstream now. Enjoy it!
I got the entire Remote master Cylinder set up from the 540i, so I'm planning on using that. Their is a lot of details to work out still. But I have a whole lot of other work I want to do to the E30 also. I'm hoping to change out the Diff with a LDS, over the Open I have now, Add rear camber and caster adjustments, Bushings, and same concept with the front.
History thread, with lots of wishy-washy decisions.
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=305957
V8 swap documentation thread:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348287
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:00:20 AM by delamaize »
Mike

Teditor

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2015, 03:02:35 AM »
Chris,
That Shay is, um,  BEAUTIFUL.   What an engine!   I wish they made something like that in N Scale.

I put the finishing touches on Klaus Bros. Furniture.   The industry is named after our beloved Doberman, Klaus,
and if you look on the narrow dock in front of the open freight door, to the right of the door, you can see
Klaus guarding his factory.  It was not easy to paint and rearrange the ears and legs of the Woodland Scenics
firefighting crew Dalmation to look like a Doberman, let me tell you.
Must have put up a helluva fight!

shark_jj

• Crew
  • Respect: +644
Re: Weekend Update 5/31/15
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 03:16:36 PM »
Max, I've now looked at the photos you posted about a dozen times and each time it seems I see something new.  The overall composition of the scene, the blending of colour from the building to the scenery to the rolling stock, the numerous small details, the weathering, the people, the background trees, simply excellent modelling.  Thank you for sharing, I now have a target for my own efforts.

John
John

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Weekend Update 5/31/15
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 06:06:27 PM »
Max, I've now looked at the photos you posted about a dozen times and each time it seems I see something new.  The overall composition of the scene, the blending of colour from the building to the scenery to the rolling stock, the numerous small details, the weathering, the people, the background trees, simply excellent modelling.  Thank you for sharing, I now have a target for my own efforts.

John

Gee, thanks!   :)
I wish I could take credit, but mostly it just evolved the way it is out of dumb luck and what I had in my
scrap parts bins.
I did spend a few days sampling and deciding on colors for the building and trim, and on
what powders to use for the roof and weathering.    Love the trick of spraying it with gray primer and then
painting it white, so you can sand or peel off the white and really have it look like weathered or peeling paint.
Never tried that before.

The rest of it is just a collection of accidents: the wood fence, loading dock, tall smoke stack, figures,
 stuff in the yard, and crates are all scrap box parts or other kits.