Author Topic: Kato FEF-3 jewel cases.  (Read 1475 times)

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
Kato FEF-3 jewel cases.
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:37:31 PM »

I didn't like the packaging for Kato's FEF-3's so I used the large jewel cases the aux water tenders came in and just cut out certain sections of the foam to fit the steamer.
I did use the softer bottom foam from the original box's and cut them down to fit the jewel cases.
Also cut out a small section at the top left for the extra pilot for double heading.
These are the same jewel cases Kato used for their GS-4 Daylights.
I then used four smaller jewel cases, cut and fitted foam liners for the aux water tenders.

Ernie

4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

rodsup9000

• Crew
  • Respect: +652
Re: Kato FEF-3 jewel cases.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:44 PM »
 Great idea Ernie. I only bought 1 from this release, but the next I'll get all the numbers they offer.  I have a brass FEF and challenger in grayhound and don't want anymore.
Rodney

My Feather River Canyon in N-scale
http://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=31585.0

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +1006
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »
I didn't like the packaging for Kato's FEF-3's so I used the large jewel cases the aux water tenders came in and just cut out certain sections of the foam to fit the steamer.
I did use the softer bottom foam from the original box's and cut them down to fit the jewel cases.
Also cut out a small section at the top left for the extra pilot for double heading.
These are the same jewel cases Kato used for their GS-4 Daylights.
I then used four smaller jewel cases, cut and fitted foam liners for the aux water tenders.

Ernie

Hmm seems simple enough.. you think Kato could have thought of that.. ~Ian

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2266
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
Nice , I also dislike the way the entire excursion offering is packaged . I have become used to and expect my locos and cars to be protected by plastic boxes ( I dislike the term jewel case , sounds too post vcr to me ) .

Richie Dost