Author Topic: Track painting with Neolube  (Read 4826 times)

eja

• Crew
  • Respect: +209
Track painting with Neolube
« on: January 16, 2015, 04:42:49 PM »
Has anyone used neolube to weather Kato Unitrack? 

I would be very appreciative if you would post photos of the results, and your thoughts about using it for this purpose.

Thanks.....

havingfuntoo

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
Re: Track painting with Neolube
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 05:45:29 PM »
If you paint your track with the Neolube I hope you don't end up with traction problems. It is a lubricant after all said and done, and a good one in some applications.

I don't know ............ but it was my initial thoughts when I read what was being posted.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »
I'd think you'd treat it like any other track paint and burnish the railhead with a Bright Boy.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
eja,

Glad you brought up this topic because I also had a question about Neolube on track. I am hoping to weather my track as  well but my question to the masses is once the Neolube is on the rail can you still solder on a track feed or will you need to clean the Neolube off completely before soldering? Anyone had any experience with this? I ask this because I am ready to start hand-laying some switches and was thinking of weathering the rails first with Neolube.

Jon

havingfuntoo

• Crew
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:40 PM »
I don't think a bright boy would be up to the task, this product is very different to paint, and wouldn't the graphite have a tendency to migrate back. 

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 06:09:48 PM »
I don't think a bright boy would be up to the task, this product is very different to paint, and wouldn't the graphite have a tendency to migrate back.

Dunno...  Not sure what you mean by "migrating back."

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »
I am thinking don't.

what do you think a conductor in a frog will do?

and from all I have read the neolube will get everywhere.

use paint.  be careful.  acrylic can be cleaned up with water before it dries
and once dry....  it will not migrate.

havingfuntoo

• Crew
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »
Graphite, is a lubricant that acts as a the wearing surface between two objects, it is floating (as a form of description) on the surfaces and does not necessarily have to be applied right where it is needed for it to get there, hence the term migrate.

I have a suspicion that it would keep returning to the rail head from the sides of the track until it is depleted.

Let me stress, I have no experience with this product, but I have worked with graphite based lubricants. I am not saying it will happen, but I am predicting that it could happen.

It is too late after you have treated the track to find out this happens. Try experimenting first, it would be a serious task to clean off I am guessing.       

havingfuntoo

• Crew
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:30:04 PM »
and Victor, that is the best reason not to do it.
Can you imagine the task of trying to restore normality back to your layout.   

Burlington Bob

• Crew
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
Try experimenting on some track deemed disposable.  I would definitely do any soldering before putting Neolube on, after all, you want a CLEAN metal surface for soldering.  Do not regard Neolube as being like paint!  They are not the same!  Neolube is a lubricant designed for stainless steel.  As model railroaders, you are using it for other purposes, primarily for the darkening qualities it has.  It will darken virtually anything it comes into contact with and should be regarded as PERMANENT.  The more porous the material, the darker the stain.  It is basically alcohol and graphite.......and graphite is an electrical conductor so that should be kept in mind before applying it.  It should work well for most uses, just be careful what you apply it to.  One more thing............be as neat as possible because it will creep when applied in excess amounts and if spilled, cannot be totally cleaned up............If at all.
Everywhere West

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 06:58:58 PM »
Someone here as done it with Unitrack...wonder how it affected traction.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 07:23:19 PM »
+1
I use NeoLube to paint track, especially around throwbars where I don't want paint:

All the "raw wood" sections are where I masked off when I spraybombed the track.
Then I went back and used NeoLube both for the rails and the ties:

Used the micro brush for the sides of the rails, and a larger brush to "dump" NeoLube on the ties & point/stock rails around the throwbar area.
Works great.
Never had a problem with conductivity (you can go back and re-file the iso gaps in the PC board ties if you want), and throwbar action is nice and smooth.

For Kato Unitrack I'd probably just use a small brush or microbrush on the rails and you'll be fine.

NeoLube: DoublePlusGood
Until you knock the bottle over and:

M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 07:36:06 PM »
Has anyone used neolube to weather Kato Unitrack? 

I would be very appreciative if you would post photos of the results, and your thoughts about using it for this purpose.

Thanks.....

I'm curious as to why you'd want to use a lube to weather your Kato UniTrack? Why not use a paint pen like those offered by Woodlands Scenic's to weather your Kato UniTrack?

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/TT4580/page/1

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1856
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 07:40:24 PM »
First thing:  Because Neolube, although it was intended to be a lubricant, makes an awesome looking
finish on metal surfaces, and it's easier to work into rail joints and surfaces without have to worry about
it gumming anything up.  When I us a fine brush to run it along the sides of the rail, if a little runs onto a tie here and
there, it hardly shows, and if it does, it looks like a little oil or grease.  The effect is very subtle.
I have some of those paint pens, and although they work pretty good for the sides of rail, I found them
much harder to apply than Neolube.

Second thing:  Yep... Neolube, if you spill it, makes an awful mess, so just.... don't.
I have gotten it on my hand, although not as bad as that photo!  Yikes.
Some paper towels and rubbing alcohol have usually been effective at removing it.

M.C. Fujiwara

• Crew
  • I'm my own personal train-er.
  • Respect: +84
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »
Some paper towels and rubbing alcohol have usually been effective at removing it.

Wait, it comes off?
You mean I haven't had to live like this for the past two years?!?

Yeah, ok, I washed it off.
(Comes off easier than "Great Stuff" let me tell you!  :facepalm:)

I will never paint near throwbars again.
Paint = stick
NeoLube = Happy Stain & Fluid Action

[BTW: both "Happy Stain"  & "Fluid Action" makes for great high school hard core / euro-pop band names. You're welcome]
M.C. Fujiwara
Silicon Valley Free-moN
http://sv-free-mon.org/