Author Topic: Colorado Midland Railway Engineering Report  (Read 152012 times)

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9256
Re: Colorado Midland Railway Engineering Report
« Reply #510 on: August 25, 2016, 11:21:32 PM »
+4
If you've been wondering about the "turnout to nowhere" at the end of the Aspen branch, wonder no more. Eventually the branch will stub-end on the other side of a low-side Howe truss bridge, typical of smaller bridges built by the Midland.

Another view showing how the branch will curve off-layout to the left rear over the truss bridge.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #511 on: September 03, 2016, 06:38:20 PM »
+2
The Colorado Midland hosted the Mike McGrattan Memorial Train this week:

GimpLizard

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #512 on: September 19, 2016, 08:34:49 AM »
I've been going through digital back issues of Model Railroader, via their website, lately.... they sure did seem to have a jones for the Colorado Midland back in the mid 60's to early 70's. I keep running across drawings of CM loco's & rolling stock. Even a "chair car". If you're interested;

Feb '64: CM 4-6-0
Apr '66: CM 0-6-0
Apr '66: CM palace stock car
July '66: CM caboose
Aug '72: CM boxcar & gondola
Nov '74: CM chair car
Sept '81: CM Consolidation

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #513 on: September 19, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
I might be!  But I have drawings and plans for that stuff anyway.

OldEastRR

• Crew
  • Respect: +304
« Reply #514 on: September 20, 2016, 02:53:42 AM »
The Colorado Midland hosted the Mike McGrattan Memorial Train this week:

What's the plan for the white space where the backdrop doesn't cover the ravine the train's going over?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #515 on: September 20, 2016, 08:19:21 AM »
What's the plan for the white space where the backdrop doesn't cover the ravine the train's going over?

I don't really have one.  I suppose for future photos from that angle (although it'll be slightly different since I'll be building the terrain upward from the top of that rock mold) I could drop in a panel made to look like a grass- or bush-covered hillside.

John

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +3229
« Reply #516 on: September 20, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »
+2
photo splice some more of the lower part of the backdrop in there .. just make sure the top seam is hidden by the trestle, then sprinkle in some trees both behind and in front of the trestle

maybe print this up at COSTCO ... 12x17  then cut the mountain out

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:11:44 PM by John »

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #517 on: October 12, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »
Reposting from another thread for more traction (https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=35245.msg495060#msg495060)...

Has anyone tried the Kato Sound Box, and if so, what do you think? 

http://www.katousa.com/N/Unitrack/ASB.html

They make a US light steam card that has, among other sounds, sounds recorded from the narrow gauge 2-8-0 #40 that ran on the Georgetown Loop (Georgetown, Breckenridge & Leadville Railway).  (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_9Q45odq4E)

After attending a narrow-gauge focused train show here in the 'Springs I got bitten by the bug to work again on the Colorado Midland whose dinky little engines (below) do not currently have sound:

Adding sound into the enormous-a$$ tender of the Bachmann 4-6-0 would be relatively easy (although probably not cheap).  The Athearn 2-8-0 on the other hand is notoriously difficult even to convert to DCC without sound (usually involves raising the coal bunker for more room).  There are those who have added sound to it, but again, at considerable cost and nontrivial effort.

That the Midland is but 2.5 feet by 5 feet makes it somewhat ideal for an application like the Kato Sound Box.  It will sound a bit funny when the train is in the tunnels but otherwise it provides a bigger sound than I could otherwise get and allows me to remain in DC.  The Sound Box also has speaker jacks that would allow me to place the speakers under the layout in the center.  Lastly I think as expensive as the Sound Box is (it would be about $250 for the box plus the steam sound card on the street) it probably comes in under buying decoders, speakers, and having someone install them for me for two locos.  I can also add a third loco and have sound without additional cost if I so decided.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:48:53 PM by Dave Vollmer »

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3605
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #518 on: October 12, 2016, 08:32:20 PM »
How does the box sense how many locos are running?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #519 on: October 12, 2016, 08:38:32 PM »
How does the box sense how many locos are running?

Ah, good question.  So like if I'm double-heading (and the Midland often did) does it sound like two engines?  Probably not.

But my layout was never really designed for two locomotives to run independently.  I essentially have a road engine and a hot spare...especially with show running in mind.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #520 on: October 12, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
Reading the literature, it sounds as if it picks up up the back em from the loco in the block it would be used in.  Since it's basically a transformer with sound, I think it is a single cab controller, so multiple blocks for dual loco running would require another controller and chip?

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #521 on: October 12, 2016, 08:56:11 PM »
Reading the literature, it sounds as if it picks up up the back em from the loco in the block it would be used in.  Since it's basically a transformer with sound, I think it is a single cab controller, so multiple blocks for dual loco running would require another controller and chip?

That's how I interpret it.  The Midland is wired as a single block (with a spur that can be powered off for loco storage).

This investment would definitely make an eventual switch to DCC for the Midland less likely.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #522 on: October 12, 2016, 08:58:28 PM »
Maybe they will offer a chip for a mallet style engine for when you are double heading...

jmarley76

• Crew
  • Respect: +132
    • WNCRails
« Reply #523 on: October 12, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »
I think it would work perfectly for what you have in mind. I like the sound from the video, but it makes me wonder how loud it is in person.

casmmr

• Crew
  • It is a Hobby
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #524 on: October 13, 2016, 07:16:07 AM »
I have the unit hooked up to the inside track of my home t-trak layout.  The unit allows for the engine start up sound to increase before the engine starts to move.  I find that it is nice and I enjoy using it.  I use the 1st gen EMD sound card that came with it.  All I can say is find someone near you who has one and see if it meets your expectations.