Author Topic: First taste of MTL SW1500  (Read 45045 times)

daniel_leavitt2000

• Crew
  • Respect: +1286
Re: First taste of MTL SW1500
« Reply #315 on: July 01, 2014, 06:40:29 PM »
This is hardly an issue... at least when compared to those extended electrical pickup tabs...

This.

The Atlas C40-8W also has prominent pickup leafs, though this is certainly more visible. I won't mind as long as the tabs are better designed than the ones on the LL shell.

Joe, lets lighten the mood... announce a 5 bay PD hopper!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:42:46 PM by daniel_leavitt2000 »
There's a shyness found in reason
Apprehensive influence swallow away
You seem to feel abysmal take it
Then you're careful grace for sure
Kinda like the way you're breathing
Kinda like the way you keep looking away

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #316 on: July 01, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
The Atlas C40-8W also has prominent pickup leafs, though this is certainly more visible. I won't mind as long as the tabs are better designed than the ones on the LL shell.

Joe, lets lighten the mood... announce a 5 bay PD hopper!

If you look at the pictures on the MT website, they appear to be secured(?) to the sill in the same manner as the SW9, that is to say deformed plastic.

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #317 on: July 01, 2014, 06:53:38 PM »
Who actually has these in stock besides the seller on Ebay? There is a seller advertising for $79.75 buy it now + $5.25 shipping. Is that price a little lower than anticipated?

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #318 on: July 01, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »
Ride height was always the same...we didn't change anything and when it was first brought up I posted and end to end photo of ours and the SW 1200 stock.  Interesting how these conversations morph. (not picking on ljudice)  :D

Joe

Now I'm confused?!  You mean this:

and this:

are the same?

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2014, 07:08:35 PM »
Now I'm confused?!  You mean this:

and this:

are the same?

They look like they're on different chassis. The fuel tanks are different, the bottom photo having the correct chassis.

Hmm... it's like telling
the difference between
different species of
termites...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #320 on: July 01, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:17:49 PM by ljudice »

ArtinCA

• Crew
  • Get over it, they're not going to make that!
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #321 on: July 01, 2014, 10:48:34 PM »
Looking at that video, it is wearing a totally wrong costume.  There are also no visible couplers anywhere on the body.  The color scheme is not bad, but not perfect.  This Sasquatch must not be a genuine MT item.  :D

Pfftt... Looks like the model was painted in a room full of shedding cats..

Waiting to see one in person myself. And the new Digitrax decoder is not bad either.
Art in Iowa
Modeling in N scale
Go full foobie or go home!!
http://adventuresinmodeling.blogspot.com/

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +640
« Reply #322 on: July 02, 2014, 02:36:26 AM »
So, this thing has been out for how long, and we STILL don't have a pic?...Did ANYBODY on this forum buy one?..I remember reading someone was going to share a pic....???? :?...last friday... :facepalm:

Is this an elaborate MR April Fools joke?   :P :ashat:

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5101
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #323 on: July 02, 2014, 03:34:50 AM »
So, this thing has been out for how long, and we STILL don't have a pic?...Did ANYBODY on this forum buy one?..I remember reading someone was going to share a pic....???? :?...last friday... :facepalm:

Either nobody following this thread models NS, or they own the model but don't know how to post photos to the forum.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

reinhardtjh

• Crew
  • Respect: +351
« Reply #324 on: July 02, 2014, 05:17:03 AM »
Who actually has these in stock besides the seller on Ebay? There is a seller advertising for $79.75 buy it now + $5.25 shipping. Is that price a little lower than anticipated?

Probably most sent them back...  I got this from BLW today

Well, we had 'em ... but have sent them all back to Micro-Trains. Though equipped with operating headlights -- the lights were not getting through. Micro-Trains wanted them to be perfect, and requested that all be sent back for adjustment. We returned them for modifications, so when you get your SW-1500 from BLW, it will be perfect. Sorry for resulting delay.

Joe mentioned this earlier that they had been recalled to fix this.  That might be why MBKlien's hasn't listed them either.  However, one of the local Cincinnati stores had them on display Saturday (6/28) so not everyone has sent them back.

John H. Reinhardt
PRRT&HS #8909
C&O HS #11530
N-Trak #7566

randgust

• Crew
  • Respect: +2147
    • Randgust N Scale Kits
« Reply #325 on: July 02, 2014, 07:36:24 AM »
The undec model body with the gray cab in the above photos is clearly setting on a Kato NW2 chassis.   You can see the end-axle pickups through the truck sides.  The undec model with the black cab looks like its on the 'real' LL-derivative.

Those Kato chassis are significantly lower than some other chassis as I've hacked all of them at least once making SW1's.

Now before you guys pull out the electron microscopes here.... take a look at this photo.   Best comparison shot you could ever want on the frame height difference:

http://www.dhke.com/ihbarchive/images/ziegold-new.jpg

Probably isn't too high despite how it looks in comparison.   Sort of like the LL C424 with the big truck-to-frame gap that has to be filled but otherwise is the proper height.

Ron, I'd never seen that spoof N scale cover before.   Needless to say, I burst out laughing!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:15:13 AM by randgust »

u18b

• Crew
  • Respect: +1950
    • My website
« Reply #326 on: July 02, 2014, 08:35:30 AM »
WOw.

Well that has to cost some money.

Maybe we can get 22 more pages before they get here!   :tommann:

Randgust- Gosh, I made that in late 2006.  When people complain that they missed a issue of N-Scale when Hundmann sold out, I often say.... Well, I got one.  You didn't?

But look at what has happened in that time:
A 44 tonner came out.
Someone put sound in a 44 tonner.
We don't quite have an Atlantic, but we got the Hiawatha.
We are anxiously wanting to count rivets on an EMD switcher.

I'm still waiting to see your powered motorcycle (running ahead of your dog sled).

Ron Bearden
CSX N scale Archivist
http://u18b.com

"All get what they want-- not all like what they get."  Aslan the Lion in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S.Lewis.

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1630
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2014, 09:46:39 AM »

I ordered the UP to strip and paint white.  they aren't out yet.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2014, 09:50:29 AM »
BLW sent an email last night stating that they sent all of the units back for correction.  I'm guessing MBK did the same.  Some hobby shops have them, but they are scarce at the moment.  There are two at Kenvil Hobbies in NJ that I know of.  Other than that, the only ones I've seen are the two that MTL had in Roanoke (which were production-run models).  But I didn't take a close look at them.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Bigdaddy

• Respect: 0
« Reply #329 on: July 02, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
The undec model body with the gray cab in the above photos is clearly setting on a Kato NW2 chassis.   You can see the end-axle pickups through the truck sides.  The undec model with the black cab looks like its on the 'real' LL-derivative.

Those Kato chassis are significantly lower than some other chassis as I've hacked all of them at least once making SW1's.

Now before you guys pull out the electron microscopes here.... take a look at this photo.   Best comparison shot you could ever want on the frame height difference:

http://www.dhke.com/ihbarchive/images/ziegold-new.jpg

Probably isn't too high despite how it looks in comparison.   Sort of like the LL C424 with the big truck-to-frame gap that has to be filled but otherwise is the proper height.

Ron, I'd never seen that spoof N scale cover before.   Needless to say, I burst out laughing!
We show you a PRE-PRODUCTION sample and all hell breaks loose, I just love the way things are blown out of proportion here on Railwire.

Both are the same chassis, the top one has the LL fuel tank , the bottom pic shows the SW1500 fuel tank that we produced. The top pic shows the shell before stops were added to the inside of the shell to set the correct height. We took a decent running locomotive that has been in production for quite a few years, that was not DCC ready, and in collaboration with Digi-Trax, came up with a way to make the chassis DCC ready, so all those existing locomotives out there can now be DCC controlled. Your welcome.

Just so you all know, I'm in the process of designing Flexi-Coil truck side frames for future releases and later we will be doing the body mounted hand rail version.

Steve Ward
Micro-Trains Line Designer