Author Topic: First taste of MTL SW1500  (Read 44988 times)

Rich_S

• Crew
  • Respect: +148
Re: First taste of MTL SW1500
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2014, 07:40:09 PM »
In my opinion the SW1500 looks great. I'm just hoping we see a second version that does not have the side sill handrails, but uses the carbody handrails similar to what was used on the P&LE (keeping fingers crossed)

I know the extended sandboxes might be pushing it, but what if I said pretty pretty please :D  :facepalm:

wcfn100

• Crew
  • Respect: +1196
    • Chicago Great Western Modeler
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2014, 08:06:22 PM »
I hope this turns out well, I have my Progressive Rail decals waiting...

That reminds me to find my stash of Hancock Air Chimes (did Progresive still have those?).

If Flexicoils come out, I'll have to do the MNS.

Jason

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1613
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2014, 08:12:43 PM »
That one P&LE photo really illustrates the space above the trucks well.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #93 on: March 06, 2014, 08:22:26 PM »
I am not trying to start any war. It seems to me , here lately.That there are sharks in the water ready to tear anything apart.
I believe it is a mock up. If not..oh well.
Wyatt

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #94 on: March 06, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
That one P&LE photo really illustrates the space above the trucks well.

The 1500 sits higher than the 1200 (I really hope MTL knows this.  :oops:).  Here's a couple good examples.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3231021

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1874729

So if it's sitting all the way down on the LL frame, that's why there's not enough clearance.

Jason

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5621
« Reply #95 on: March 06, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
You might be able to sqeeze a P&LE out of me.  :lol:

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8911
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2014, 10:37:29 PM »
The 1500 sits higher than the 1200 (I really hope MTL knows this.  :oops:).  Here's a couple good examples.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3231021

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1874729

So if it's sitting all the way down on the LL frame, that's why there's not enough clearance.

Jason

Those are really good examples!

Joe, make sure to pay attention to this.

However, given what you just showed, it DOES indicate that kitbashing my holy grail diesel, the SW1001 may finally be within reach.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #97 on: March 06, 2014, 10:49:11 PM »
It would be the ultimate irony for MTL to produce a model that is criticized for being too low.   8)

All my friends know the low rider....

/>
Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

cjjd6901

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2014, 06:33:12 AM »
In my opinion the SW1500 looks great. I'm just hoping we see a second version that does not have the side sill handrails, but uses the carbody handrails similar to what was used on the P&LE (keeping fingers crossed)

8)  Mauw Ha Ha ha more power!

I would really like this one...

:)  Chris

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2014, 09:30:47 AM »
I hope that MTL doesn't take the easy way out with this project. The couplers do seem to stick out too far, and it'd be better that they are at the correct length right out of the box rather than just schlep the work onto whomever cares to fix it own their own. 905s aren't a direct solution since some may prefer reliability over minute fidelity.
Although I don't have a hat in this ring since my cut off is 1956 (and I try to stay away from anything that would have been brand-spanking-new in 1955 or 1956) I'd like to see MTL put forth a real winner.

-Cody F.

Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +551
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2014, 10:19:30 AM »
I'm actually looking forward to this a little bit more versus the S2, since an SW1500 fits my modern shortline theme much more readily; the shortline back home used an LTEX SW1500 to haul clay and other products until thier GP30u's were painted and showed up...I might have to build the LTEX SW1500, if I ever get a shot.

Does anyone know if the shells would be seperate? I'd rather buy a locomotive and an extra shell to do the modeling on so that I have a unit which can run during the whole process
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Catt

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Boylerwerx
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2014, 01:15:50 PM »
Just like the IM SD40-2s I'll wait till I have the loco in hand before I judge it.By the when did Joe say the pictured model was the final version? :?
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
Sole owner of the
Grande Valley Railway
100% Michigan made

wcfn100

• Crew
« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
Just like the IM SD40-2s I'll wait till I have the loco in hand before I judge it.By the when did Joe say the pictured model was the final version? :?

Yeah, lets not say anything until it's too late.  Good plan.  :P

I've been in manufacturing (not model trains) and been in the engineering meetings.  Something like how low the shell is sitting (just as an example) is a perfect candidate for something that could get missed or forgotten about along the way.  With the new shell and LL mech in hand, someone who isn't as proto knowledgeable might assume that's how it's supposed to be because of the fit.

And lets not forget, if it is the LL mech, the tabs for the power pickup come off the sill.  so with the sill raised, a new pickup method may be required. I'll be curious how they do that without it being totally visible.  There are questions that can be asked or concerns addressed even at this early stage.

TLT could have saved some money on their Newprint cars if they had done something like this.  So could have Exactrail on their cars with(out) the Pullman roof. 

For me, the more eyes the better, even if Joe has to endure the usual zealous dialog.  This is an excellent chance for MTL to get back into the locomotive market, let's help in whatever way we can or they will let us.

Jason

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »
Yeah, lets not say anything until it's too late.  Good plan.  :P

I've been in manufacturing (not model trains) and been in the engineering meetings.  Something like how low the shell is sitting (just as an example) is a perfect candidate for something that could get missed or forgotten about along the way.  With the new shell and LL mech in hand, someone who isn't as proto knowledgeable might assume that's how it's supposed to be because of the fit.

And lets not forget, if it is the LL mech, the tabs for the power pickup come off the sill.  so with the sill raised, a new pickup method may be required. I'll be curious how they do that without it being totally visible.  There are questions that can be asked or concerns addressed even at this early stage.

TLT could have saved some money on their Newprint cars if they had done something like this.  So could have Exactrail on their cars with(out) the Pullman roof. 

For me, the more eyes the better, even if Joe has to endure the usual zealous dialog.  This is an excellent chance for MTL to get back into the locomotive market, let's help in whatever way we can or they will let us.

+1

"Let's just sit here and be quiet and not criticize ANYTHING" is why we get missing sight glass on GP38-2's, missing cons stencils on freight cars, incorrect road number, a hundred runs of TTX 89-footers with perpetually incorrect reporting marks, etc. etc.    I'm not saying that in EVERY case a manufacturer is sitting here patiently taking notes from the Railwire rants.   But, hey, Joe posted the photo...I don't expect it was strictly a courtesy call.   He probably is keen on selling things.  (and hey, it only took 20 years for them to take heed of the TTX issue....that's huge!!!   Progress abounds at Micro-Trains... :trollface:  )

Imagine if Kato would show us their paint colors beforehand....we could suggest the 64-crayon pack versus the 16 they're using now.   :facepalm:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 02:04:26 PM by Denver Road Doug »
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »

Imagine if Kato would show us their paint colors beforehand....we could suggest the 64-crayon pack versus the 16 they're using now.   :facepalm:

Except for rule number 4 of the "Guide to making model trains"... which clearly states "Ask 3 modellers what ________ is correct and get 23 answers, all of which are likely wrong.... :-X

This isn't to say input isn't incredibly valuable; it is !  We have had many modellers point out stuff we've looked at 100 times and missed or help us source a colour, photo or detail, but please, never think that asking for input is the complete answer, quite the opposite, depending on the topic it's likely to cause more errors (and by the way, hard feelings)... and I have seen this first hand... :oops:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!