Author Topic: First taste of MTL SW1500  (Read 44989 times)

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +859
Re: First taste of MTL SW1500
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2014, 12:49:48 AM »
Good idea, Daniel! Maybe I'll do that too! :D

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8911
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
Ok, now I'm getting excited.

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 06:49:55 AM »
While I suppose it could use some of the same components, it simply can't be the existing LL SW chassis with a scale-width hood. The frame has to be narrower, the motor has to be turned 90 degrees and how the trucks insert into the frame all have to be modified. I researched this 10 ways from Sunday when I did my SW1500 kitbash and wanted to use the LL SW chassis...which was 100% impossible.

I hope you're right, I really do. Recent Z scale locomotives from MTL haven't given me a fuzzy feeling about MTLs concern about scale-width hoods...

Sokramiketes

• Crew
  • Better modeling through peer pressure...
  • Respect: +1450
    • Modutrak
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 07:19:24 AM »
Until I see the model in person or hear it from Joe I will assume it's just the rantings of a malcontent and disregard the opinion regarding the possible source of any parts. .... Moving on..

First post says modified chassis.  Photo shows Walthers/LL trucks and fuel tank.  I don't understand how it's now an "opinion" that they are using Walthers/LL parts. 

Robbman

• Crew
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 11:08:10 AM »
If that's all Robb has to say then I guess they look pretty good :lol:

That's just my first suggestion off the top if my head from looking at the picture.  I don't have time right now to do any thorough research.  Joe could always send me a sample ;)

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
Good stuff...I don't really have a dog in the hunt, but I may eventually pick one up.  BNSF didn't really use true switchers in the area I model until very late in my era.  (however, I am VERY interested in the possibility of using the mech for my SW1200 grain switcher!)   I am actually very excited at prospect of MTL using the LL DNA for their mech, as long as the hood width isn't botched in the process.

Any chance we'll see weathered versions?  Obviously it's a little bigger risk on a $100 loco versus a $25 freight car, but I could see "low risk" things like faded paint, some vent weathering, etc. being done.   Here's your first subject: http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=42902   8)   (Except, please NO conspic striping!)  There is precedence...Atlas has offered at least a couple of (slightly) faded paint jobs on their locos.

I know....baby steps.   :)
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

H Lee

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »

The coupler and coupler pocket seems to protrude a little too much!?!??!?! Sort of like a cushioned underframe!!!!!

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
The coupler and coupler pocket seems to protrude a little too much!?!??!?! Sort of like a cushioned underframe!!!!!

Yes, but don't worry...just like the circus cars, they'll sell you the conversion to fix it!!!   :trollface: :facepalm:
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1613
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:17 PM »
I'd say my largest concern now would be the lack of space between the bottom of the deck and the trucks/frame.  There is a lot of roominess there on the Proto.
A shot of the rear would be nice, also.  It's hard to see if the rear sand boxes on the deck have the taper as they should.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Joetrain59

• Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
Z905's!
 Joe D

tehachapifan

• Crew
  • Respect: +859
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2014, 04:22:38 PM »
I'd say my largest concern now would be the lack of space between the bottom of the deck and the trucks/frame.  There is a lot of roominess there on the Proto.
A shot of the rear would be nice, also.  It's hard to see if the rear sand boxes on the deck have the taper as they should.

I would bet money that we're looking at a mockup using some components from the LL drive, so we could see some early pics of the shell (for which I thank MT for), and is not representative of the final model. Perhaps the trucks and fuel tank are even Photoshopped in(?). At any rate, I really doubt this is what the final model will be like because looking a the pic as it is right now, the pilot bottoms would drag on the track once the wheel flanges dropped inside the track. I still think we're golden!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 04:29:21 PM by tehachapifan »

soo

• Crew
  • Respect: +107
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Seems everyone is trying to find problems with everything.
 Back up, and punt. And go find another product to bash and pick apart.

Wyatt

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1613
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 04:54:59 PM »
Hey Wyatt, nobody's trying to find problems.  Observations are being made, plain and simple.  It's the "hey back up and punt crowd" that fan the flames, IMO.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
Edited to avoid wrath of  :tommann: .   :P :trollface:

(I don't really think I was necessarily an offender, but I was giving a friend some ribbing that might be misinterpreted by others.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:14:59 PM by Denver Road Doug »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
Guys - everyone needs to take a break here.  Don't intentionally start an issue if you know/think it is a sore spot, and if you perceive someone is bashing something, please don't fan the flames by stating the obvious.  Just move on and not try to escalate anything. 

And one more thing: this thread has at least two posts that take opposite sides:  one states everyone loves this loco and hates the IM product, and two states that this MTL product is being bashed. :?  None of this is helpful to Joe's intent of presenting a future product and wanting constructive criticism.

Now back to the forum... :tommann: