Author Topic: First taste of MTL SW1500  (Read 45016 times)

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
Re: First taste of MTL SW1500
« Reply #285 on: June 30, 2014, 10:43:58 PM »
Guys, let's slow the criticism until someone can post photos of the production model (not the MTL-provided one).  Joe was on here a month back and showed us photos  of a version with the corrected ride height.  I bet that the photo MTL used was just an old, pre-preproduction model.

Edit:  This is Joe's later photo showing the corrected ride height:

Yes, and if you look closely you can see the frame mechanism poking out below the shell, especially the part that fits under the battery boxes in the rear. Not a viable solution in my book.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5099
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #286 on: June 30, 2014, 10:50:52 PM »
Yes, and if you look closely you can see the frame mechanism poking out below the shell, especially the part that fits under the battery boxes in the rear. Not a viable solution in my book.

Meh, just paint the bare metal frame black and the problem is solved!  :trollface:
. . . 42 . . .

JanesCustomTrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #287 on: June 30, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
Joe was on here a month back and showed us photos  of a version with the corrected ride height.

You could be right, take a closer look at the pictures on fleebay, the rear pilot is touching the ground, the pilot is even lower down than the wheel flanges, the shell is sitting way too low on the mechanism. Makes sense and would explain why the LED has to be pushed upwards.  <sarcasm>Some styrene stripes on top, or some duct tape on the side of the mechanism would keep the shell at the right hight.</sarcasm>

Jane
I don't want to start any blasphemous rumors
But I think that God's got a sick sense of humor
And when I die I expect to find Him laughing...

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5621
« Reply #288 on: June 30, 2014, 10:54:31 PM »
Just needs some styrene C channel frame strips like the Lifelike Alcos needed.

johnh35

• Crew
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #289 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:44 PM »
Just needs some styrene C channel frame strips like the Lifelike Alcos needed.

The difference is that the C424 mech filled the shell.

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #290 on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:19 PM »
Photo of the REAL THING - and it looks like the height WAS CORRECTED.....   Why we are forced to dork around looking for these photos to prove/disprove a point is amazing to me, since 90% of this stupid argument could have been avoided if they had posted a picture of the damn thing on their website.  Viral marketing???

[From an Ebay COMPLETED Listing]

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:22:54 PM by ljudice »

tom mann

• Administrator
  • Crew
  • Representing The Railwire on The Railwire
  • Respect: +998
    • http://www.chicagoswitching.com
« Reply #291 on: June 30, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »
What I want to know is why doesn't a decent photo of this thing exist?

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
« Reply #292 on: June 30, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »

It's pretty obvious that the Masonic Bilderberg Trilateral Illuminati is behind this....

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #293 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:47 PM »

Looking at that video, it is wearing a totally wrong costume.  There are also no visible couplers anywhere on the body.  The color scheme is not bad, but not perfect.  This Sasquatch must not be a genuine MT item.  :D
. . . 42 . . .

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1695
« Reply #294 on: July 01, 2014, 12:50:19 AM »
Why we are forced to dork around looking for these photos to prove/disprove a point is amazing to me, since 90% of this stupid argument could have been avoided if they had posted a picture of the damn thing on their website.

What fun would that be?

learmoia

• Crew
  • Respect: +982
    • Ian does Model Railroad stuff on Youtube.
« Reply #295 on: July 01, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »
Photo of the REAL THING - and it looks like the height WAS CORRECTED.....   Why we are forced to dork around looking for these photos to prove/disprove a point is amazing to me, since 90% of this stupid argument could have been avoided if they had posted a picture of the damn thing on their website.  Viral marketing???

.. Apparently nobody on this list model's NS  so they don't have the model available for detail photos  :trollface:

If the first release was Conrail.. Photos of every vent and door inside and out would be plastered all over the place here!!! :)

~Ian  :D

peteski

• Crew
« Reply #296 on: July 01, 2014, 03:40:31 AM »
Photo of the REAL THING - and it looks like the height WAS CORRECTED.....   

EXCELLENT!  Let's not forget that this is

. . . 42 . . .

mcjaco

• Crew
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2014, 10:10:02 AM »
^ I beginning to think that sometimes that frame of mind is a negative conotation. 

Overly critical on everything isn't good.
~ Matt

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #298 on: July 01, 2014, 10:52:59 AM »
I can accept some inaccuracies depending on what they are, but riding to high and not doing research on basic details is ridiculous for something to be called a model it should have all the major details accurately placed and sized I know that a mfg cannot make all versions of a prototype that is unquestionably true, but pick the best version and do it right thats all! I feel any dimension that is off by say 3/64" or less is ok. But do not compress dimensions to accommodate an incorrect ride height or under frame length ( one size fits all!!) I bought a lot of MTL boxcars and gons thinking they were accurate and found later they were compressed and quite buying them and replaced them with better models as they came available, MTL has some very good models and can really do things right if they put the extra effort in. Why make locomotives and cars that have incorrect ride height  :? I don't see why they choose to do that.

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +640
« Reply #299 on: July 01, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »
I can accept some inaccuracies depending on what they are, but riding to high and not doing research on basic details is ridiculous for something to be called a model it should have all the major details accurately placed and sized I know that a mfg cannot make all versions of a prototype that is unquestionably true, but pick the best version and do it right thats all! I feel any dimension that is off by say 3/64" or less is ok. But do not compress dimensions to accommodate an incorrect ride height or under frame length ( one size fits all!!) I bought a lot of MTL boxcars and gons thinking they were accurate and found later they were compressed and quite buying them and replaced them with better models as they came available, MTL has some very good models and can really do things right if they put the extra effort in. Why make locomotives and cars that have incorrect ride height  :? I don't see why they choose to do that.

But it rides too LOW......not too high..

*edit...MAY sit too low, as we have yet to see an off the shelf model!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:12:29 AM by coosvalley »