Author Topic: Speaking of Comparisons....Code 55 Track  (Read 5743 times)

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
Re: Speaking of Comparisons....Code 55 Track
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »
How old is that Mikado?   The pilot and trailing truck flanges on the Kato Mikado are a little big.  They may have been bigger in earlier runs than they are now, but I don't have a "new" one to compare.   If they are hitting everywhere, then you will have to
spin/file or otherwise turn down those flanges.   If they are just hitting on a few stretches, it's the Q/C variability of Atlas Code 55.  Even on my current layout, which was built over the past 2 years or so, I had some sections of Atlas c55 flex where even a Kato F unit flange would hit the ties a little.  I have to run a jewelers file over the spike heads a few times to knock them down on those sections to get rid of the problem.

Hi Max

Mine (the Mike) is a first-run example. I'm seeing this "bumping" on all my engines,except,as I say, the Bachmann 2-8-0. This includes Atlas,(both Chinese and Kato-built) and Kato. Your suggestion about the "jewelers file" sounds like it might be the ticket! I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Mark in Oregon

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 01:05:11 AM »
Dave:  I missed your post earlier today.  It does sound like they've fixed most, if not all, of the quality issues.  In that case, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend ME track and turnouts, since mine work fine after tinkering with them.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2013, 01:55:26 AM »
Hi Max

Mine (the Mike) is a first-run example. I'm seeing this "bumping" on all my engines,except,as I say, the Bachmann 2-8-0. This includes Atlas,(both Chinese and Kato-built) and Kato. Your suggestion about the "jewelers file" sounds like it might be the ticket! I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Mark in Oregon

Mark,
I'd say that's the right approach if it's only a few certain spots on your layout where you have the problem.
If it's everywhere, and you have the problem even with very modern diesel, say, then it must be something else.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1462
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2013, 02:41:03 AM »
Just to say it one more time, if you want to run good-looking code 55 track that doesn't interfere with Pizza cutter flanges, then ME code 55 is the way to go.  Atlas is NOT the only semi-prototypical looking track, contrary to what a lot of N-scale modelers evidently believe.

Just for your information....  :)

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:57 AM »
Well gents, as an aside question inside the code 55 tracks discussion ....
have anybody noted that none of the available commercial products allow to build a diamond, except for the Peco combination of two "medium" turnouts and a 20° crossing?
I've spend some time last night to realize that ...... both my diamond crossing would have to be hand laid!
Why Atlas or others MFGers don't care to provide a crossing part that can couple the turnouts angle to obtain a diamond?

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2013, 10:20:14 AM »
If you want electrified frogs, you would have to handlay anyway I think.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

babbo_enzo

• Crew
  • Respect: +12
    • Experience IT!
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
That's correct for Atlas crossings, but Peco Electrofrog crossing ....
Anyway, why manufacturers don't care of this track configuration?

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
...why manufacturers don't care of this track configuration?

More than likely cost. Most layouts will have switches, but far fewer will have crossings, and those that do will have many more switches than crossings. So the volume of crossings sold will be proportionally much lower than that of switches. I suspect in order to keep the unit cost of crossings down, plastic frogs are chosen over metal.

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4704
    • www.bbussey.net
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »
That's correct for Atlas crossings, but Peco Electrofrog crossing ....

Peco isn't true code 55, is it?  So that leaves handlaying for powered frogs, which increase in importance as the degree of the crossing angle lowers.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »

Hmm... electrifying frogs
is cruel. It makes them
hop all crazy-like...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

strummer

• Crew
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »
Mark,
I'd say that's the right approach if it's only a few certain spots on your layout where you have the problem.
If it's everywhere, and you have the problem even with very modern diesel, say, then it must be something else.

I see what you're saying, but I can't imagine what it must be. Is it possible that the track I purchased is somehow "older", and that this issue has since been rectified? I know anything's "possible", but for the life of me I just can't imagine that the c55 I bought is somehow different from all the other stuff out there... :?

Mark in Oregon

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 01:58:04 AM »
I see what you're saying, but I can't imagine what it must be. Is it possible that the track I purchased is somehow "older", and that this issue has since been rectified? I know anything's "possible", but for the life of me I just can't imagine that the c55 I bought is somehow different from all the other stuff out there... :?

Mark in Oregon

Seeing as how I did have a few sections of Atlas c55 where fine flanges buzzed on the spikehead detail in the plastic ties, that implies that there is a QC problem where some sections do come through with larger spikeheads and hit ALL wheels.  It is therefore also possible that you got an entire batch of those klunker sections in your layout.

Let's be more scientific.  If you take some WHEELSETS, (not a whole engine, which would make it hard to see
what's going on) and roll them on the errant track, and look hard with magnification,
can you see the flange hitting the spikeheads?    Can you post a super-close, sharp, photo of the ties in a spot where this
problem occurs.   Do MT low profile wheels buzz?  How about Fox Valley or other low-profile metal?

basementcalling

• Crew
  • Respect: +736
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
I put together two Atlas #5s last night so the spurs would run through an Atlas 25 degree crossing. I couldn't get the ends of the turnouts to line up straight on my roadbed. Double checked it with a straight edge and it was straight and true. Then I put the turnout rails down on the straight edge to find that both #5s have stock rails before the points that kink. A LH turnout has a RH kink and so forth.

I haven't heard of this issue with Atlas C55 turnouts before. Anyone else?

I'll see if I can shoot a couple photos tonight, but it was past my cell phone's bedtime last night and the battery was dead.
Peter Pfotenhauer

strummer

• Crew
Re: Speaking of Comparisons....Code 55 Track; Time to Clarify,I guess.
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 11:34:27 AM »
Mark,

I have heard of this happening with Atlas Code 55, but it's usually been limited to the sectional line of track rather than flextrack.  I remember reading a post on the A-board a long time ago where someone took a small screwdriver and ran the blade along the spikes to "knock them down."  Obviously, you should try this on a scrap piece first.  Otherwise, you'll need to figure out a way to file or sand the engineering plastic down.  Good luck.

Hope this helps,
DFF

Ok. At this point in time I have only sectional c55. My original post asked for comparisons to the Atlas track and Micro Eningeering's because I know if I got that route,I'll be using mostly flex track. So I'm now guessing that the "bumping" problem is one pretty much limited to the sectional stuff...?

Boy, my Unitrack is looking better all the time...

Mark in Oregon

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 11:52:05 AM »
...and meanwhile a happy peco code 55 electrofrog user can just read and smile...and run trains on bullet proof track!

[ducking for cover]
md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/