Author Topic: Speaking of Comparisons....Code 55 Track  (Read 5744 times)

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
Re: Speaking of Comparisons....Code 55 Track; Time to Clarify,I guess.
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
Ok. At this point in time I have only sectional c55. My original post asked for comparisons to the Atlas track and Micro Eningeering's because I know if I got that route,I'll be using mostly flex track. So I'm now guessing that the "bumping" problem is one pretty much limited to the sectional stuff...?

Boy, my Unitrack is looking better all the time...

Mark in Oregon

I didn't realize that.   Yes, it is probably that you are testing this on the sectional.
Go get a stick of Atlas C55 flex and test on it.  I think that's the difference.

Unitrack is reliable, but that opens a whole other set of parameters to consider.  Do you want sectional track?
Will you be content to have code 80 rail and widely-spaced ties?  Do you think you can disguise that with ballast?
Can you build the layout you want using only the available sectional curves and other pieces?

For the record, I also had the problem with Micro Engineering pre-weathered flex (not the unweathered).  Yes.
ME.  I had 2 sticks of the weathered stuff where low flanges would hit the tie spikeheads until I filed them down.

There is simply some variation that hopefully doesn't happen too often.
Test with flex.  I think you'll have better results.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
Re: Speaking of Comparisons....Code 55 Track
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
...and meanwhile a happy peco code 55 electrofrog user can just read and smile...and run trains on bullet proof track!

[ducking for cover]
md

Yep. Just watch out for those tie spacing Nazis...

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 12:26:24 PM »

...yep.  rivet counters!  My poor eyes have a hard time seeing tie spacing on weathered/ballasted track at eye level.  Turnout geometry is another issue of course...

btw: good to have you "back" DKS

md
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »
I didn't realize that.   Yes, it is probably that you are testing this on the sectional.
Go get a stick of Atlas C55 flex and test on it.  I think that's the difference.

Unitrack is reliable, but that opens a whole other set of parameters to consider.  Do you want sectional track?
Will you be content to have code 80 rail and widely-spaced ties?  Do you think you can disguise that with ballast?
Can you build the layout you want using only the available sectional curves and other pieces?

For the record, I also had the problem with Micro Engineering pre-weathered flex (not the unweathered).  Yes.
ME.  I had 2 sticks of the weathered stuff where low flanges would hit the tie spikeheads until I filed them down.

There is simply some variation that hopefully doesn't happen too often.
Test with flex.  I think you'll have better results.

You are no doubt correct...on all counts. FWIW, I picked up a bit more (sectional), and it seemed to me to be better than the "old" stuff I've had lying around,as far as the "bumping" issue goes,so who knows? Maybe I did just happen to purchase a "bad batch" with that first group.
I do see that,if I end up going with c55, I'll have to change out the wheel sets on about half my car fleet; didn't realize I still have so many "pizza cutters"...I suppose I should start a new thread titled "What's the best replacement wheels for Micro Train trucks?"

Mark in Oregon

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 04:55:09 PM »
...I suppose I should start a new thread titled "What's the best replacement wheels for Micro Train trucks?"

No need to. Use these:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Micro-trains-N-401-B-100-33-Brown-Wheel-Sets-p/mtl-00312003.htm

They come in black, too.

Hmm... I prefer them in
purple...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 05:31:06 PM »
Very nice,thank you.

Mark in Oregon

S Class

• Crew
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 11:27:59 PM »

Model Australian, it's closer to our tie spacing than atlas.

Regards
Tony A

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1462
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
...yep.  rivet counters!  My poor eyes have a hard time seeing tie spacing on weathered/ballasted track at eye level.  Turnout geometry is another issue of course...

btw: good to have you "back" DKS

md

If ya gotta put up with people calling you a "nazi", then I suppose it's good that it's about something as obvious and important as tie spacing!

If "rivet counter" is supposed to be an insult, then is being a "rivet ignorer" a compliment?   I think not.

Just sayin'...  :D

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1427
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:09 AM »
My biggest "complaint" about Peco wasn't the tie spacing.  It was the fact that modern lo-pro wheels don't like the flangeway standards.  I had to glue styrene strips in the guard rails to keep the wheel from picking the points on the frogs.

The only place I used in is in my staging yard, and after that addition it worked fine.  But it certainly wasn't "perfect" from the box.

The other issue I had seems to have been a design change.  Some of the turnouts had points with square ends, the others had the upper corner cut at an angle.  They both worked fine with pizza cutters, but lo-pros rode up and over the angled ends.  The boxes looked identical, the part numbers were the same, and they were all purchased at the same time and place. 

Fortunately, never having used Peco track, I bought twice as many as I needed, just in case I ever needed to repair or replace them.  So, I had enough to get the job done, and none have ever broken.
N Kalanaga
Be well

mark dance

• Crew
  • Respect: +1279
    • The N Scale Columbia and Western
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 07:51:10 AM »
If "rivet counter" is supposed to be an insult, then is being a "rivet ignorer" a compliment?   I think not.

Just sayin'...  :D
Touché Bob!

Md
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 09:57:11 AM by mark dance »
Youtube Videos of the N Scale Columbia & Western at: markdance63
Photos and track plan of of the N Scale Columbia & Western at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27907618@N02/sets/72157624106602402/