Author Topic: UP water bottles in N scale?  (Read 6424 times)

spookshow

• Crew
  • Respect: +1964
    • Model Railroading Projects & Resources
Re: UP water bottles in N scale?
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 01:36:10 PM »
Patient? What's that?  :?

-Mark

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
Patient? What's that?  :?

-Mark

I dont know either....... just sounds good :D

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
Heck I held off getting a 3985 in N for the simple fact of no cars to do a current business train. If one was announced I might have to think about it again, though I've settled on an HO version for the most part. Though with N I could do most of the cars in the UPP fleet. Kato for the Es, Athearn for the 3985, and hopefully someone for the 844. Not too worried about 6936, as Bachmann version just not tickle my fancy with the looks or feel.

Being patient for 6 to 7 months for announcement or release? By that time my HO version would be mostly complete as it is, with the 2 Kato business cars as foobies for the most part, the rest would be pretty much correct minus some diaphragms and such. Don't get me wrong I would love to be able to do an N scale version as the footprint is much smaller, and the club has plenty of mainline to run them on.
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...

MRLX1020

• Crew
  • Respect: +43
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 02:36:06 PM »
Curious timing on this thread, as I just got a pair of Bachmann short Vandy tanks to convert for use behind an Athearn 3985 for excursion service.  I'm not sure what era to model exactly.....

Fellow N scaler John Rimmasch and his talented folks over at Wasatch Railroad Contracting did a project for the UP a few years back, this will help to understand how these unique tanks happened to be where they are now.

http://wrrc.us/about/highlighted-projects/union-pacific-water-car-no-814/

Denver Road Doug

• Crew
  • Respect: +28
    • Mockingbird Industrial
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:10:35 PM »
Fellow N scaler John Rimmasch and his talented folks over at Wasatch Railroad Contracting did a project for the UP a few years back, this will help to understand how these unique tanks happened to be where they are now.

http://wrrc.us/about/highlighted-projects/union-pacific-water-car-no-814/

Great link, thanks for sharing.
NOTE: I'm no longer active on this forum.   If you need to contact me, use the e-mail address (or visit the website link) attached to this username.  Thanks.

jdg

• Crew
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 08:12:47 PM »
I'm over here on Railwire also - but I'm the guy who did the decal set for the UP baggage Flag car.

I heard a rumor also about KATO announcing the FEF along with a car set but that has been going on for a while now.

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1858
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 07:14:51 PM »
Mark (and all),
Those trucks look like the same ones that Con-Cor uses on their 4-6-4 Hudson tender.  If you have both (the 4-6-4 and the
water bottle tender), can you compare them?

If they are the same, you could scarf up an old Hudson on eBay for maybe $60.  If Con-Cor really wants $40 for a pair
of those trucks, the engine might be a better buy, if for no other reason than you'd get some spare engine parts off it.

Plan B: Look at the tender trucks sideframes sold by "Miniatures By Eric", part NT4.    They look close.

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2013, 09:32:49 PM »
You're right, Max. The Hudson tender trucks are the same.

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 04:58:38 PM »
FYI, there's a Shapeways guy (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/JamesTrainParts) who's going to take a whack at the water tenders.

-Mark

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2394
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 08:25:08 PM »
FYI, there's a Shapeways guy (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/JamesTrainParts) who's going to take a whack at the water tenders.

Good. I'd be "in" for a couple if he does the pre-2005 (or so) versions with the thermal jackets still intact. The dithering we love to gripe about could be sanded-off very easily since there's no important rivet detail on the sides. After UPP's upgrade program, however, the sides are rivets galore.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1463
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »
Good. I'd be "in" for a couple if he does the pre-2005 (or so) versions with the thermal jackets still intact. The dithering we love to gripe about could be sanded-off very easily since there's no important rivet detail on the sides. After UPP's upgrade program, however, the sides are rivets galore.

Which could be very easily applied using Archer Transfers resin rivet decals....

I'm gonna give the toothpaste burnished trick a try on my FUD "Q" trucks to see if it makes any difference.  I'll report.  Burnishing the Shapeways water tender might go a long way towards getting rid of any roughness and "stepping" without destroying any details.  Looks like a great technique from posts on other threads.

However, Archer N-scale resin rivet decals have made replacing rivets not that big a deal anymore, although they're a little pricey at over $17 bucks for a teeny sheet of 'em. 

Here's a little sample on my Lincoln Highway Bridges at Echo I kitbashed.  The lines of rivets on top of the nearest brigde are Archer Resin Rivet decals.

Only thing is, believe the instructions which tell you they don't stick to bare Styrene.  Primer first.

bigford

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 03:19:16 PM »
here you go if you have a extra $123 laying around

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 06:59:56 AM »
here you go if you have a extra $123 laying around

Yikes, that seems a little excessive. Then again, Con-Cor hasn't announced their prices for the upcoming re-release, so for all I know $123 is a bargain.

-Mark

spookshow

• Crew
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 05:25:55 PM »
FYI, UP water tenders are now available via Shapeways -

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1381630/up-water-tenders-n-scale-1-160-jim-joe.html?li=search-results&materialId=61

These are the post-rebuild version (he's still designing the pre-rebuild version).

Cheers,
-Mark

EspeeGoldenState

• Crew
  • Respect: +114
    • Modern Southern Pacific
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »
OOOOH, So very tempting to buy a set, but still the decals would be correct for the flag, but not able to do the names or numbers. I (like others) have held off on a 3985 because there is no cars out there to model the heritage fleet easily.
Attempting to model a modern Southern Pacific based in 2015/2016...

Also, I have a passenger train addiction...