Author Topic: The LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout  (Read 72161 times)

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
Re: Introducing the LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout
« Reply #120 on: March 11, 2013, 08:03:10 AM »
What is the sea wall material you are using and is it possible to post a top shot of it showing the profile.  That looks like something I've been looking for, but I wouldn't put the cap on top.

The stone wall is looking good,  a little paint/weathering will really make it complete!

Mike

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3557
    • Designer at Keystone Details
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2013, 08:09:55 AM »
nscalemike,  I'll look up the evergreen sheet number for you toinight.  The corrugations are roughly 10" on center.  I added a cap to hide the edge because the reverse side is smooth.  This is similar to many seawalls I have seen along Lake St. Clair in Michigan.  They usually have a stiffening cap for winter expansion of the earth behind them.  My "earth" landfill will be filled in to the bottom edge of the cap.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »
+1
Crap, looks like I'll have to remove the keystone from the tunnel portals.  Of all the RR companies, one would think that since a Keystone is the PRR's most notable icon, that EVERY one of their bridges and portals would have had one!   :?  Nice view of the PRR capstones below too!

Looks like I'll have to do some more carving and remove the keystones (but I still like the raised pillars)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 11:51:36 AM by Lemosteam »

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9192
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:16 AM »
John,

My stonework is a mosaic of PolyScale colors...  Grimy Black, Refer Gray, Roof Brown, Earth, and some Railroad Tie Brown tied together with Antique White mortar.  I then lightly drybrush with Refer White.

The color variation is less apparent in the photo than in real life...  I would say Reefer Gray and Roof Brown dominate.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2013, 12:02:25 PM »

Weathered Black, with a light wash of Antique White, followed by dry-brushed Antique White. Plus some green powdered chalk for moss/lichen near the water, and Rust All stains below the fence and drains.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 12:04:29 PM by David K. Smith »

LKOrailroad

• Crew
  • Respect: +196
    • LK&O Railroad
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »
Maybe it is just the lighting but.... what are the chances in the real world of the retaining wall and building brick would be the same color blue?
Alan

When I was a kid... no wait, I still do that. HO, 28x32, double deck, 1969, RailPro

http://www.lkorailroad.com

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2013, 01:54:26 PM »
Maybe it is just the lighting but.... what are the chances in the real world of the retaining wall and building brick would be the same color blue?

This is due to being a very old Ektachrome slide.

Edit: This alternate view is just a little bit closer to reality--

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:01:46 PM by David K. Smith »

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
nscalemike, the seawall is evergreen #4527 "Metal Siding" and the cap is #262 "Channel".  As mentioned the #4527 is smooth on the back and the corrugation is on the front.

Here's a pic:

nscalemike

• Crew
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Based on the fact its a smooth back I may end up capping it also because the image I am trying to copy has it sticking up out of the ground/water by a few feet.  Anyways, thanks again.

Mike

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
John,

My stonework is a mosaic of PolyScale colors...  Grimy Black, Refer Gray, Roof Brown, Earth, and some Railroad Tie Brown tied together with Antique White mortar.  I then lightly drybrush with Refer White.

The color variation is less apparent in the photo than in real life...  I would say Reefer Gray and Roof Brown dominate.

Dave, thank you very much.  Those colors seem consistent with the tunnel portal above.  You can see all of the shades you mentioned in that one shot.  You can come over and paint each individual brick for me?  Man I think I'll do this with a small sponge after the base coat is complete.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Based on the fact its a smooth back I may end up capping it also because the image I am trying to copy has it sticking up out of the ground/water by a few feet.  Anyways, thanks again.

Mike

Mike, I thought about sanding the other side thinner and sandwiching two pieces together offset from each other, but I have about nine linear feet to do.  Each 12" x 6" sheet will yield about 12 linear feet cutting off 1/2" strips.

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5221
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2013, 09:00:44 PM »
Crap, looks like I'll have to remove the keystone from the tunnel portals.  Of all the RR companies, one would think that since a Keystone is the PRR's most notable icon, that EVERY one of their bridges and portals would have had one!   :?  Nice view of the PRR capstones below too!

Why not just remove one row of stones from the bottom of the portal (assuming it is too tall right now)?  That way you can keep the keystone.
. . . 42 . . .

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9192
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2013, 09:21:52 PM »
Why not just remove one row of stones from the bottom of the portal (assuming it is too tall right now)?  That way you can keep the keystone.

That's not his point...  The PRR didn't generally use keystones in its arches (counterintuitive, I know).

Mine has one, but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »
Scenic Express has the Pennsy portals, cut stone and concrete:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FL2164

The double portals on my layout are the concrete ones from them.  Have to make a retaining wall to match.

(By the end of the week, I hope, you'll know somebody with the ability to apply static grass.  Give me some time to learn, then I'll show you how, and rent out the grassinator for reasonable rates (beer) to fellow :ashat: s.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:43:56 PM by Hornwrecker »
Bob

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2013, 06:34:48 AM »
The keystone is already gone fellas.   :D  Hydorcal chips away quite nicely and is very easy to carve.  Just thought that if I'm going through so much work on the berm wall, I may as well make the portal more Pennsy-like while I have the portals loose.