Author Topic: The LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout  (Read 72183 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3557
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: Introducing the LIRR Industrial Service, Inc. shelf layout
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 10:40:19 AM »
Chris333, thanks. I think I will compromise and drop only 1.5" to the LIRR.

Central.vermont, if you look at the proto photo, the Long Island space is FLAT making it easier for me to build.

Conrail98, Davefoxx, I will add the siding 1/4" below the main with a connection (I want limited ops.from the main to the siding).  I doubt the PRR would add to the complexity of the elevated trusses just for a siding.  In the proto image the location is just east of the tunnel to new york.  My fictitious design has the epevated trusses leading to a bridge to NY city. I will also remove the crossovers on the main.

David you are amazing.  Perfect interpretation.  I think I found a way for a runaround on the left.  If I add a 3.5 wye just before the lower bridge, I can run parallel to the switchback and add a switch just after the first switch on the LIRR.

Awesome ideas everybody.  Lets just say that I'm NOT going to update the sketch!  I could if it were in cad... lol.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »
Conrail98, Davefoxx, I will add the siding 1/4" below the main with a connection (I want limited ops.from the main to the siding).  I doubt the PRR would add to the complexity of the elevated trusses just for a siding.  In the proto image the location is just east of the tunnel to new york.  My fictitious design has the epevated trusses leading to a bridge to NY city. I will also remove the crossovers on the main.

I don't think it would be elevated with trusses. It'd be a very large berm. I think the river running through the center of the plans i what's limiting the options. You may want to reconsider that aspect, although one of your desires is that joint road/rail bridge,

Phil
- Phil

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »
Phil, I  understand its not necessarily PRR proto, but it is fictitious anyway and they had elevated trusses elsewhere. I'm trying to create some room and visual interest under the trusses. Take a look at the map photo on page one, its not a river, its a man made channel, so the infrastructure would be there for a natural take on an elevated structure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:04:08 AM by Lemosteam »

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »
Phil, I  understand its not necessarily PRR proto, but it is fictitious anyway and they had elevated trusses elsewhere. I'm trying to create some room and visual interest under the trusses.

The first leg of the switchback could be elevated on a stone fill, with the roadways passing under it instead of crossing it, to allow you to lower the landscape on that end of the layout (which could be marshy wetlands). This might help justify the trusses.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 11:07:20 AM »
Sorry Dave I edited my post after you responded...

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
I think I found a way for a runaround on the left.  If I add a 3.5 wye just before the lower bridge, I can run parallel to the switchback and add a switch just after the first switch on the LIRR.

I tried that in AnyRail. Comes out way too short to be practical for a runaround. Tried a couple of other variations as well, and it's always the sixth pound of track for a five pound boot.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:33:21 AM by David K. Smith »

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 12:54:02 PM »
Rats.  :)  Thanks for trying!

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 08:12:43 PM »
David, I respectfully beg to differ.   :D

I was able to fit a piece of flex where I suggested, that is longer than the piece parallel to it.  This gives me room for at leas two gons to drop and go around.  I only expect to pull down 2-3 cars max at a time from the PRR siding.

I also like the way some of the tacks go off the layout implying more trackage and industry beyond.

I will also be adding the additional 3.5" on the back to move the mains back.  In CAD I have calculated a 2.5 degree grade necessary to get down 1.25" to the LIRR surface.

I reduced the roadways down to 11' wide roads for a little more room.

I'm really getting excited as my son and I will be starting this soon, that is if I can get some turnouts!

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2013, 08:25:19 PM »
Looks good John.  Did you add a runaround track between the bridge and the end of the down grade?
Bob

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Thanks Hornwrecker,

Nope I added it after Dave's first switch in its original location.  The grade length did not change and the length of the first stub is nearly the same as the length as the PRR siding so I can pull all the cars on the main down at once.

David, does AnyRail have the ability to view the design in 3D?  It seems to be able to deal with differing track heights...

Thanks in advance for your help.

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 08:56:16 PM »
I'm not really sure what you gain with that second runaround.  For a switching puzzle layout, shouldn't the trackwork be challenging?
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 09:23:23 PM »
Eric220, good point.  It was suggested earlier and I thought I'd give it a try. Hmmmm.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
I really like how the plan has developed and can't wait to see construction begin.  But, 11' roads?!  That's essentially a one lane road.  I don't think that's going to look right, especially considering it's an industrial area where there will be lots of large vehicles and trucks.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

poppy2201

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Modeling The Bay Line
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2013, 06:04:19 AM »
Thanks Hornwrecker,

David, does AnyRail have the ability to view the design in 3D?  It seems to be able to deal with differing track heights...

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'll chime in here if you don't mind.  The AnyRail file can be exported into a .dae file which you can view in any program that supports the file type, e.g. Google Sketchup.  Of course the only thing that is exported is the track but it helps to view your track if elevations have been set and see if there are any potential problems.

Lemosteam

• Crew
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2013, 06:22:40 AM »
davefoxx, thanks!  These aren't really going to be roads per se, more like rutted two-tracks in a filthy dirt environment. The right hand side will mostly be mined material delivery to barges like the image on page 1.  The left hand side will be locomotive storage (lower left, one steam one diesel), and a business that I think I will access with a two lane from under the elevated girders and another mnined material delivery.  The backdrop will be an industrial area that can be visualized at ground level.

poppy2201, now worries, I appreciate the input!  That's some keeper info there and I agree about the vertical transions (mentioned in anothe thread on n scale).