Author Topic: UP to possibly restore a BIG BOY  (Read 2080 times)

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62

Kisatchie

• Crew
Re: UP to possibly restore a BIG BOY
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
Wow, one of the preserved Big Boys is in Dallas. My daughter lives there with her family. Next time we go visit, I'll try to get to see it.

I'm down around New Orleans today and tomorrow, but Dee didn't make the trip.
Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

superchief

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 07:19:51 PM »
they tried to restore the one in Dallas some years back by a movie producer so the engine could be used in a movie but it fell through, hopefully they will be sucessfull this time. The one in Dallas should be moved soon to the museum's new location in Frisco, Tx north of Dallas with great plans. I remember seeing the picturs of #4014 going over Cajon pass to Pomona BEFORE the two rebuilds, to see her climb the pass now would be awesome!!!!! Gordon

strummer

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
This is very interesting, especially when the UP doesn't seem too interested in letting "4449" ( or much else) out on its rails very often....

Mark in Oregon

Puddington

• Crew
  • Modelling is the best medicine for what ails me.
  • Respect: +245
    • The Canadian Pacific Railway's Dominion
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
To whom would they pay the licenseing/marketing fee....................? :trollface:
Model railroading isn't saving my life, but it's providing me moments of joy not normally associated with my current situation..... Train are good!

Kisatchie

• Crew
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »

I'm down around New Orleans today and tomorrow, but Dee didn't make the trip.

Hmm... Kiz forgot he locked
me in the car trunk. I
just now escaped...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2396
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
There have been no end of rumors in the 40 years I've followed this stuff about one Big Boy or another "slated for restoration" by some well-meaning party. Some or even most of what I heard was centered around the 4014, which ostensibly is logical because it has been stored in the mildest climate of any of the survivors. However, I will believe it only when I see one moved from wherever it's parked, into a professional restoration facility, with committed funding to complete the job.

There will likely also be a cost in at least one other Big Boy being cannibalized for key parts, possibly destroying its value as a display. Whether its owner(s) will assent to this a whole 'nuther ball of wax, and could by itself scuttle the project. I know firsthand there is some bad blood out there in the preserved equipment world, some of it directed at UP's program. People can and have said "No!" out of spite.

That a UP spokesperson addressed the prospects and communicated this with a reputable RR news source, however lends a smidge of credence. However, in the end my standard still applies - I'll believe it when I see it happen, and not before.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2278
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 11:08:29 PM »
The would need to convert it to be oil fired , 4005 was for a short time and converted back to coal because it wasn't up to snuff IIRC . I think only an insignificant array/set of burners were used and maybe with more it would work . Can't see why it couldn't as it is only a Challenger on steroids . UP in the past was emphatic that a operation BB was never going to happen . If it comes to pass , people will come form all over the world . It would keep 2 steamers running while 1 is going through scheduled repairs .

Richie Dost

LV LOU

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 11:32:39 PM »
There have been no end of rumors in the 40 years I've followed this stuff about one Big Boy or another "slated for restoration" by some well-meaning party. Some or even most of what I heard was centered around the 4014, which ostensibly is logical because it has been stored in the mildest climate of any of the survivors. However, I will believe it only when I see one moved from wherever it's parked, into a professional restoration facility, with committed funding to complete the job.

There will likely also be a cost in at least one other Big Boy being cannibalized for key parts, possibly destroying its value as a display. Whether its owner(s) will assent to this a whole 'nuther ball of wax, and could by itself scuttle the project. I know firsthand there is some bad blood out there in the preserved equipment world, some of it directed at UP's program. People can and have said "No!" out of spite.

That a UP spokesperson addressed the prospects and communicated this with a reputable RR news source, however lends a smidge of credence. However, in the end my standard still applies - I'll believe it when I see it happen, and not before.
Having personal first hand knowledge about them,since I'm only five miles from Steamtown,I bet they'd dump their Bigboy for an even trade for a running Guatemalan 2-8-0 without even thinking about it.When they first opened,they must have had 50 locomotives,bet there aren't ten left that they own.They traded a guy two CP locomotives,a Royal Hudson and a streamlined Atlantic to pay him to do a cutaway locomotive for the museum..The Bigboy is a mess,it's been sitting outside since it arrived.almost 30 years ago.It just got repainted last year,before that,it was a just rust..

rswinnerton

• Crew
  • The Anti-Ed
  • Respect: +20
    • Luxury Rail Travel
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 07:12:38 AM »
Wow... April first comes earlier and earlier dunnit?

I won't believe it until its under steam.
Russ Swinnerton
Dr. of Ferroequinology
www.LuxRailTravel.com

Ike the BN Freak

• Crew
  • Respect: +90
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 08:08:25 AM »
This is very interesting, especially when the UP doesn't seem too interested in letting "4449" ( or much else) out on its rails very often....

Mark in Oregon

From what I read of it, looks like UP is looking to buy it back.  Once that is done, it will be like 844 and 3985, owned and operated by UP, not a third party like 4449 is.

Bremner

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
almost all of the Pomona locos would be a good choice to restore due to the fact that they are regularly oiled down!

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9101
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2012, 12:08:56 PM »
Wow... April first comes earlier and earlier dunnit?

I won't believe it until its under steam.

And can move anywhere outside the original UP mainline they were built for.

Hyperion

• Crew
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:32 PM »
From what I read of it, looks like UP is looking to buy it back.  Once that is done, it will be like 844 and 3985, owned and operated by UP, not a third party like 4449 is.

I agree that having UP own it would seem the most sensible, but the quote in the piece seems quite contradictory to that...

... the [UP] has been approached by and is working with a third party interested in restoring and operating a Big Boy.

And that kinda makes the most sense to me.  UP would finance it, use it as needed, and someone else would deal with it 90% of the time. 

I really don't see UP would bother to restore a Big Boy on top of the Challenger they've already got.  A big locomotive, is a big locomotive.  And the general populace just wouldn't be appreciably more impressed with a Big Boy over the already-impressive Challenger.  So I don't see the value in doing it for a single major event.   But maybe the UP has more events than they can keep up with with the Challenger they've already got, in which case if you're going to have to restore another locomotive anyways, might as well go all out and do a Big Boy.  But that, to me, would seem unlikely.   I would think the Challenger spends the vast majority of its time laid up waiting for events, but I'm really just guessing on that point.
-Mark

VonRyan

• Crew
  • Running on fumes
  • Respect: +641
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
The would need to convert it to be oil fired , 4005 was for a short time and converted back to coal because it wasn't up to snuff IIRC . I think only an insignificant array/set of burners were used and maybe with more it would work . Can't see why it couldn't as it is only a Challenger on steroids . UP in the past was emphatic that a operation BB was never going to happen . If it comes to pass , people will come form all over the world . It would keep 2 steamers running while 1 is going through scheduled repairs .

No... No oil... something so massive and 'mazing needs to be kept coal fired.

-Cody F.
Cody W Fisher  —  Wandering soul from a bygone era.
Tired.
Fighting to reclaim shreds of the past.