Author Topic: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!  (Read 136357 times)

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Re: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
Well.... there is a ATSF Northern, Union Pacific FEF or U.P. Big-Boy in Tomball Texas that will "Out-Pull" said E6 4-4-2.  So, I guess we will have to settle this affair in Milwaukee ....... When we PULL FOR PINKS :D

45 FEF's in total.....I have a number of FEF-1's I have to build to have all
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:35:31 PM by superturbine »

draskouasshat

• Crew
  • Respect: +643
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2012, 11:35:57 PM »
Tender drive? look for the little piece of yellow wire on the front of the tender........................................................ 6 wheel drive...........................

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Draskos Modelworks. Contact me for your 3D modeling needs!
SFM (Super Fleet Modeler) member #1
I HAVE 3800 class santa fe 2-10-2s!!

SkipGear

• Crew
  • Respect: +629
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »
It must be nice to model ATSF, UP or PRR where it seems all the locos share a common look. You can use one boiler to make another. Being a very frugal railroad, the B&O purchased only a couple USRA or USRA copy locos, most were built in house or aquired from other railroads and there is no family resemblance except for most have high headlights and a few common tender designs.

The one thing I am not seeing here is much C&O. C&O seems like it would be a great road to kitbash considering all the parts available in already produced locos. You have a Berkshire, two 2-6-6-2's, a Heavy Mountain and a few others that have many of the parts needed to build other loco's from. Once I get deeper into completing my B&O projects, C&O will be next.
Tony Hines

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »
Well.... there is a ATSF Northern, Union Pacific FEF or U.P. Big-Boy in Tomball Texas that will "Out-Pull" said E6 4-4-2.  So, I guess we will have to settle this affair in Milwaukee ....... When we PULL FOR PINKS :D

I guess I have to ask Hans for a motorized long distance tender. I'm wondering how much weight he can get in that tender.  Should be more than in the E6 tender. I only hope our layout is long enough. :D

Just kidding, I'm very satisfied with the pulling power of the E6 as it was run with only a couple of passenger cars behind it. It hardly feels those cars.
It's good to see so many steam engines. I wished the manufactures would see all this commitment.

Marc

up1950s

• Crew
  • Respect: +2278
« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2012, 01:35:31 AM »
Ernie , that's the longest string of ore cars I have ever seen . Does that very expensive loco pull them all ? Also did you modify the ore car couplers in any way ?

Richie Dost

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2012, 07:51:15 AM »

Just kidding, I'm very satisfied with the pulling power of the E6 as it was run with only a couple of passenger cars behind it. It hardly feels those cars.
It's good to see so many steam engines. I wished the manufactures would see all this commitment.

Marc
[/quote]

Whooo,  I am glad you did not take me up on that........ I would be a little nervous about losing one of my fef!   :scared:

nstars

• Crew
  • Respect: +57
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »
Whooo,  I am glad you did not take me up on that........ I would be a little nervous about losing one of my fef!   :scared:

I like the FEF, it's a very nice and good looking engine. Unfortunately it's useless on a PRR layout.  :(. On the other hand, that's also true for the FVM Hiawatha and we do have that train. So why not a FEF?

Marc

PS, did I see correct, is Milwaukee next year an option for you?

altohorn25

• Crew
  • Respect: +3608
    • Mini Mod u Trak
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »
Ernie , that's the longest string of ore cars I have ever seen . Does that very expensive loco pull them all ? Also did you modify the ore car couplers in any way ?

The Yellowstone that I had could pull a ton as well so I'm guessing he didn't do much if anything to it.  Ran like a swiss watch as well.

Nate
Nate Pierce
Modutrak - Wisconsin Division
www.modutrak.com

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
  • Respect: +152
    • Present home layout and partial collection.
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »
Whoa, Ernie, a Yellowstone!
Now I'm green with envy.... ;)
Does your layout feature an ore dock?

Thomas

Actually, right now my large layouts in a big back room in my basement and theres no ore dock.
BUT, my future soon plans is to also convert my complete finished larger section of the basement so the complete basement will be one huge layout, w/an ore dock -------------------------------  :D
Where the layout is now since the floor is concrete and the walls are concrete, I want to build that section in honor of the Late Great John Allen, with floor to ceiling scenery with many levels such as John did. Recon i'll be doing a bit of cheating as I have plenty of pics of his layout and hopefully will duplicate some of it.  Which means the current layout will be taken apart and certain sections moved to the finished part of the basement.
Besides an ore dock, I want a huge switching yard, separate extra large steam & diesel serviceing facilitys as well as a passenger terminal. Current layouts largest yard now is only 15 foot long and another thats only 9 foot long, passenger terminal is only 10 foot long. Diesel facility is only 8 foot long, and the Steam engine facility now is only 10 foot long with two sections of round houses (10 & 15 stall) using the Walthers self-indexing turntable, heres a pic.
[img]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/63Hofnerbassman/New-Roundhouse001.jpg">>
43 stalls.
Right six stalls will be extended to match the other four from excisting roundhouse to fit the Big Boys, Challengers, C&O's Alleghenies, Pennsy's S1 Duplex and other larger engines.
Two roundhouse stall's will have a matching back set of doors leading to the Backshop.
Couple of out boiler house buildings and power houses attached to roundhouse for compressed air, water, electricity & heat.
Other buildings to be added and attached for various other type repairs, upholstery, carpenter wood shop, blacksmith shop, air brake repair, large storage room, steamer boiler cleaning/repairing and rebuilding, smoke stack cleaning, oiling & greasing, master mechanic office, engineer lounge, etc. all connected together at back of short engine stalls.
Still need to paint the extra roundhouse stalls to match as well as all extra added buildings.
Figureing three entrance tracks and two exit tracks.
Also will be adding a couple of the smaller Arnold Rapido self-indexing turntables and roundhouses in the smaller towns.
Once I think I have the layout planned, I think of other things I want to add ------------  :o
LOL

Ernie
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2012, 05:57:12 PM »

For some reson my pics didn't show, lets try again ?

Ernie
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

UP4-8-8-4

• Crew
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

Theres a total right now of 160 ore cars it pulls easily.
The only thing I did was before I put on the top loads was to line and glue BB's in the center of each car.
First intention was to drawbar sets of 10 cars together as DM&IR did but it was a pain !
So I just used the short shank coupler MT trucks.

Ernie
4-8-8-4 Bigboy

4-6-6-4 Challenger

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2012, 06:37:31 PM »
I like the FEF, it's a very nice and good looking engine. Unfortunately it's useless on a PRR layout.  :(. On the other hand, that's also true for the FVM Hiawatha and we do have that train. So why not a FEF?

Marc

PS, did I see correct, is Milwaukee next year an option for you?

Well, I really, really like pennsy engines.  And an E6 would fit right into my UP Overland Route Layout!  So get out the tungsten and traction drivers..... Hopefully the Atlas track will be able to handle the tracktive effort.  It should be interesting!!

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2012, 06:38:40 PM »
Sweet Roundhouse Ernie!!

hunter_alexander

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2012, 08:28:42 PM »
Those roundhouses are amazing!!

I for one would love to see more of your layout.

(I only have a door for a layout, lol)

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2012, 09:45:22 PM »
Ernie, now that's what I call a ROUND HOUSE! That might fit all of Superturbines FEF's! Tails out please...:)

I have a 36 stall 3/4 round roundhouse laid out for my San Bernardino yard that is 32.33" diameter; it was a relatively early, "small" house with only 92' stalls. Still, it takes a lot of real estate, even in N scale!
Nice work!
Regards, Otto K.