Author Topic: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!  (Read 136473 times)

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1475
Re: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!
« Reply #540 on: June 11, 2013, 04:28:38 AM »
As far as the superelevation goes, the front of that train looks pretty good. What concerned me is the end of the car (with the antenna on the roof) seen in the background, around the curve. It (at least to me) looks like it is just about ready to tip over to the side.  It is most likely just an optical illusion, but it bugged me. That's why I mentioned it.

I see that you posted a photo of the Webber Canyon.  I really hate to say it, but to me ... it also looks a bit too yellow! The clouds look a bit creamy. Otherwise, it is a superb photo. I'll go and hide in my basement now!  :facepalm:

Peteski,

I think it's the long lens I used to take the photo, which foreshortens things considerably.  The cars look to be really leanin', but when things are moving, the superelevation looks about right for that curve.

Hahaha...as to the photo being "too yellow"...The owner/editor/publisher (Bob Schleicher) of Rail Model Journal didn't like the color in the photo either.  He attempted to make the cliffs a color he liked rather than just go with my photo, and really screwed them up.  My friend Kelly and I were both modeling Weber Canyon at the time, and we were using real dirt dug from the canyon to color our plaster, and real dirt to represent talus and assorted dust, dirt and rocks.  Color was important as the cliffs are really these colors.

However, you're probably right again, as this was one of the photos I shopped using my old phosphor-burned CRT monitor...but, we're gonna have to live with creamy skies this time!  :) 

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #541 on: July 14, 2013, 09:40:39 PM »
Southern Pacific F3 class 2-10-2 built from a Kato Mikado, GHQ boiler and my tender casting.

Not a valid youtube URL
Jason Smith
Tomball Locomotive Works
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:43:33 PM by superturbine »

carlso

• Crew
  • Respect: +502
« Reply #542 on: July 14, 2013, 10:02:27 PM »
Jason - that is sweet. Nice work. I need one of those.

Carl
Carl Sowell
El Paso, Texas

Mike Madonna

• Crew
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #543 on: July 14, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
"TLW" strikes again!!   :D  :o
Mike
SOUTHERN PACIFIC Coast Division 1953
Santa Margarita Sub

Nick Lorusso

• Crew
  • Lets see what I'm modeling this week
  • Respect: +118
« Reply #544 on: September 09, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
Here are some shots from my club layout.....

Regards,
Nick Lorusso
https://sbhrs.wildapricot.org/

robwill84

• Crew
  • Respect: +135
« Reply #545 on: September 09, 2013, 05:05:03 PM »
Here's my version of a "valley mallet" from a Model Power 2-6-0. It has a TSU-750 installed in the tender, and is weathered as close to prototype pics as I can get it. These were some of the longer lived steam power on the SP, with many running up until 1957.

Norway2112

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #546 on: September 09, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »
Here's my version of a "valley mallet" from a Model Power 2-6-0. It has a TSU-750 installed in the tender, and is weathered as close to prototype pics as I can get it. These were some of the longer lived steam power on the SP, with many running up until 1957.

This is awesome!  I wouldn't have tried sound in such a small locomotive, but seeing this makes me want to get my little SP 2-6-0 out and get to work.  Not only the sound, but the kit bashing, paint and weathering all A+, nice work!

robwill84

• Crew
« Reply #547 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »
This is awesome!  I wouldn't have tried sound in such a small locomotive, but seeing this makes me want to get my little SP 2-6-0 out and get to work.  Not only the sound, but the kit bashing, paint and weathering all A+, nice work!

Thanks, glad I could inspire you! I'm working on another one, it will be much cleaner than this one, and feature aluminum paint highlights per how some of these were painted when operating in Fresno in the 1950's

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #548 on: September 09, 2013, 11:13:04 PM »
Really nice contributions guys!!

I am also impressed with the sound decoder install. 

Thanks for posting!!

kelticsylk

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
    • Milepost 15
« Reply #549 on: September 10, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »
No track, no scenery, just steam and a bit of imagination...

It's 1949 and on the Pennsy steam is still going strong. Two I1's, two L1's and a pair of K4's simmer in Juniata, while a new diesel set idles nearby.

Sorry to sneak a diesel into this thread, but that EF4 (1949 PRR classification system) is a new ABBA set. The last two units arrived on the property today.

robert3985

• Crew
  • Respect: +1475
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2013, 05:48:00 AM »

Very nicely done!  Lots of really great prototype and SP touches, and the paint/weathering looks fabulous.  Just the right amount of accumulated scaling, dust and rust.  The open cab door/window along with the drooping bell rope and open top cab hatch really make this look "lived in".

Just one question please...your display track??  Atlas 55 set in between HO code 100 track???  Just curious... :)

robwill84

• Crew
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2013, 09:52:29 AM »
Yeah, haha, I need to get around to building a dedicated N scale display base...

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1860
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
Rob, that is a great 2-6-0!
The weathering is wonderful.  I love the little painted accents like the red cab doors and green interior
(and the bell rope along the top of the boiler!)

jmlaboda

• Crew
  • Respect: +162
    • Passenger Car Photo Index
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2013, 01:51:05 PM »
Rob... you have a real treasure there!!!  Thanks for sharing your work!!!

robwill84

• Crew
« Reply #554 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:21 AM »
Thanks guys, I strive for quality over quantity- that's my only N scale engine thats not in pieces!