Author Topic: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!  (Read 136437 times)

victor miranda

• Crew
  • Respect: +2
Re: Start Foaming..Lets See the STEAM!!!
« Reply #420 on: December 11, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »
... the PRR tested and ran so many things you never know what you might see.
the PRR cab forward does not look wrong.
kinda Q ish.

actually the only thing I have seen lettered Pennsylvania that screamed WRONG!!!
was the j3a....it is just not PRR.... and so clearly a competitors engine.

chicken45

• Crew
  • Will rim for upvotes.
  • Respect: +1013
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 11, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
I actually really like your stuff, Eric! You can get away with this as you spin your "What if Pennsy went Transcontinental instead of bankrupt?"

Controversial? Yes. Neat? Also yes. That diesel you did was the first thing I thought of when NS did the PRR heritage unit!
 8)
Josh

Josh Surkosky

How 'bout Pennsy?

:trollface:

I had intended that the PRR would have picked up a few "UH1"s, either in WWII along the same lines as the NW Y3, or after testing units bound for delivery to the SP.  Since lettering that locomotive, I've added an SP interchange to the layout, and I'm not sure if I like the idea anymore.  It's such an iconic locomotive, and now I've now got a valid reason to have one in proper SP paint.  Of course, then I either have to find a replacement lettered shell, or pony up for a whole new one.  If I do keep this one, I'm redoing the tender lettering.
Josh Surkosky

Here's a Clerihew about Ed. K.

Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
But mention his law
and you've pulled your last straw!

Alternate version:
Ed Kapucinski
Every night, he plants a new tree.
He asks excitedly "Did you say Ménage à Trois?"
No, I said "Ed's Law."

Hornwrecker

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #422 on: December 11, 2012, 11:19:26 PM »
I actually really like your stuff, Eric! You can get away with this as you spin your "What if Pennsy went Transcontinental instead of bankrupt?"

Controversial? Yes. Neat? Also yes. That diesel you did was the first thing I thought of when NS did the PRR heritage unit!
 8)
Josh

Josh Surkosky

Eric should sponsor a "What would a Raymond Loewy designed cab forward look like?" contest here. 

Which end would the shark nose go on???
Bob

pennsyfan1361

• Crew
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2012, 11:37:53 PM »
"What would a Raymond Loewy designed cab forward look like? The front end would look more like a GG1.      Rich
Modeling  PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD 1956-1966 Harrisburg and the Northern Division                                                                                                     CONRAIL 1976-1983 Harrisburg Division

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #424 on: December 13, 2012, 02:17:17 PM »

8)
Josh

Josh Surkosky

Yeah, I can justify an awful lot with that argument.  I try not to overdo it, as I don't want to lose sight of the prototype.  Overall, I do like the result aesthetically, but I'm still not convinced.  It's just a little too iconic, and the design goes against PRR safety practices of the time.  We're talking about a railroad that ran hood units long hood forward and went so far as to redesign and rebuild electrics with center cabs to put more of the locomotive between the crew and a potential collision.  The debate is rendered somewhat academic by the fact that I pulled her out yesterday and she doesn't run.

As for my AC4400s and GEVOs, I like the result that I got much better than NS's heritage scheme.  But then again, I've never been a fan of the tuscan scheme on locomotives.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

WP_Railfan

• Respect: 0
« Reply #425 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30:55 AM »
Waiting for departure.

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
  • Respect: +194
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »
My first Brass engine a PRR 2-8-0 made by key imports

should I try upgrading the tender to all wheel pick up?
Modeling the Pennsylvania Middle Division in late 1954
             Nothing Will Stop The US Air Force

mmagliaro

• Crew
  • Respect: +1859
    • Maxcow Online
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2013, 04:56:28 PM »
All wheel pickup?
That depends on how much it frustrates you.  I have one of those, and found that it is just not reliable enough without it.   Too many stalls for my expectations, especially for an engine that looks that good.

Here's a pic of the inside guts of my tender.  I cut slots in the brass floor so the truck tangs could come up inside.
I soldered fine wire directly to the truck tangs, routed them forward, and right to the motor.  This means you
can't disconnect the engine and tender, yes.  It also means it never stalls. ;-)  And I'm happy to make that trade.

In this pic, I am using some home-made trucks from some brass freight car trucks I have in a stash.  But you could
do exactly the same thing with Spectrum or Kato tender trucks.

The strip of circuit board in the middle is just a handy tie point for the wires to keep things neater.  You could
certainly omit it and just tack things in place with a little glue and use shrink tubing to make sure any wire joints
don't short to the brass frame.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:03:53 AM by mmagliaro »

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #428 on: January 07, 2013, 05:07:41 PM »
All wheel pickup?
That depends on how much it frustrates you.  I have one of those, and found that it is just not reliable enough without it.   Too many stalls for my expectations, especially for an engine that looks that good.

Here's a pic of the inside guts of my tender.  I cut slots in the brass floor so the truck tangs could come up inside.
I soldered fine wire directly to the truck tangs, routed them forward, and right to the motor.  This means you
can't disconnect the engine and tender, yes.  It also means it never stalls. ;-)  And I'm happy to make that trade.

In this pic, I am using some home-made trucks from some brass freight car trucks I have in a stash.  But you could
do exactly the same thing with Spectrum or Kato tender trucks.

The strip of circuit board in the middle is just a handy tie point for the wires to keep things neater.  You could
certainly omit it and just tack things in place with a little glue and use shrink tubing to make sure any wire joints
don't short to the brass frame.

Thanks I do have an extra kato and an extra bachmann tender so guess I`ll try it! I`ll be DCCing it so I think I`ll just put them right in the decoder so there`s less wires running forward

superturbine

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #429 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
I really love the Pennsy H9....

CodyO

• Crew
  • Cody Orr-SPF
« Reply #430 on: January 07, 2013, 09:39:35 PM »
I really love the Pennsy H9....

Ill help you make a shell;)

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #431 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
Nope.... Good on this end :D. Appeciate Cody

thbguy

• Crew
  • Respect: +110
« Reply #432 on: January 07, 2013, 10:36:22 PM »
Hello all,

Here is Gregg Scott's A-class Northern, just out of the paint shop. It has a pewter boiler, resin tender, and lots of detail.
It was painted by Joe Valerio. If I wasn't modeling Canadian railways I would be all over this!

Sorry that the pictures are so bad. They are from my phone!

Michael Livingston
Michael Livingston
Modeling southern Ontario in N scale

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt. ~ Abraham Lincoln.

delamaize

• Crew
  • Prairie Line Native
  • Respect: +547
« Reply #433 on: January 08, 2013, 01:28:25 AM »
Hello all,

Here is Gregg Scott's A-class Northern, just out of the paint shop. It has a pewter boiler, resin tender, and lots of detail.
It was painted by Joe Valerio. If I wasn't modeling Canadian railways I would be all over this!

Sorry that the pictures are so bad. They are from my phone!

Michael Livingston

Dear god, that puts my A4 to shame....
Mike

Northern Pacific, Tacoma Division, 4th subdivision "The Prarie Line" (still in planning stages)

superturbine

• Crew
« Reply #434 on: January 08, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Nice rods on the A.  If I am not mistaken the engine was a B-man J.  Were the rods etched?  Great lookin engine.