Author Topic: New MTL bodystyle in autumn 2012 - 1960s Greenville 60ft DPD boxcar w/rfwk  (Read 9880 times)

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
Micro-Trains has announced a Greenville 60-foot boxcar with double plug doors in the May/June issue of the N-Scale Enthusiast magazine.  A screen image of the 3D digital model is pictured.  It appears to ride at the proper height over the rail and include body-mounted #1016 couplers.  The prototype is the early 1960s version with riveted sides, roofwalk and high brakewheel.
Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net

ljudice

• Crew
  • Respect: +245
    • NS/CR Camp Car Models
Cool.   Is this the car ConCor did a (now rather crude) version of about 10-15 years back???

Kisatchie

• Crew
  • Respect: +62
Micro-Trains has announced a Greenville 60-foot boxcar with double plug doors... ...The prototype is the early 1960s version with riveted sides, roofwalk and high brakewheel.

Woo hoo! Good news. Just what I need.

Hmm... that's not all Kiz
needs...

Two scientists create a teleportation ray, and they try it out on a cricket. They put the cricket on one of the two teleportation pads in the room, and they turn the ray on.
The cricket jumps across the room onto the other pad.
"It works! It works!"

asarge

• Crew
  • Respect: +25
That will be nice!

C855B

• Crew
  • Respect: +2377
+1

Nice to see more cars being developed that are good for the late '60s.
...mike

http://www.gibboncozadandwestern.com

Note: Images linked in my postings are on an HTTP server, not HTTPS. Enable "mixed content" in your browser to view.

There are over 1000 images on this server. Not changing anytime soon.

chessie system fan

• Crew
  • Respect: +605
Cool!  I'm glad I never upgraded my Con Cor model now.  Will more than one truck center length be done?
Aaron Bearden

lock4244

• Crew
  • Respect: +647
    • My train pics
Exactrail makes a Greenville 60' in HO w/o roofwalk. Is this the same car, just an early version?

http://www.exactrail.com/greenville-60-double-plug-door-box-car-wp

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
I was just thinking about upgrading some of the Con Cor cars also.  If this is the car I think it is, then it is a 60' Plate C smoothside double plug door boxcar (not the Exactrail car).  And if I am right, this car was a New York Central Lot 938B boxcar.  Which mean Penn Central and Conrail 938B's, which is excellent news.  I will have to wait and see a photo before I can make a final determination.  This will add some needed variety to my Conrail auto parts trains.  Thanks.

Jeff
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 05:33:00 AM by ai5629 »
Jeff Lopez

nkalanaga

• Crew
  • Respect: +1406
I can use those, and, like Aaron, am glad I didn't spend too much time on my CC models.

Hello Dee!
N Kalanaga
Be well

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +8935
    • Conrail 1285
And if I am right, this car was a New York Central Lot 938B boxcar.  Which mean Penn Central and Conrail 938H's, which is excellent news.

I hope you're right Jeff. I'm contemplating adding an auto plant to the Canton layout, and more 60' variety will be nice.

Nato

• Crew
  • Respect: +158
 :|    Con Cor's car was the first car they did with micro fine End Reporting Numbers. I compaired photos of my Con Cor GN cars to proto photos and for the time they were pretty good,but I'am glad MT will be releasing an even better model. Nate Goodman (Nato). Salt Lake, Utah.

ai5629

• Crew
  • Respect: +200
As I had mentioned, I was thinking about upgrading the Con Cor cars.  I became disgusted when I compared the car to Atlas' 60 ACF car.  Specificallly, the Con Cor car was about 1.5 to 2 feet shorter than the Atlas car.  The project stopped at that point. Thanks.

Jeff
Jeff Lopez

screeh

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
Sounds very tantalising - I hope that MTL consider a no r/w and short ladder version, because I'd like a few of these:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cn/cna794820ajm.jpg

MDC released their 50' high-cube in this scheme, and I spliced a couple together to make a 2-door version... then I realised the doors were 10' wide instead of 8' and that the door styles weren't a complete match... attempted to fix the doors, learning much about splice cuts but ruining the model in the process... then I bought some of the CC cars to repaint... ah, the joys of seeking prototype fidelity  :|

Glenn Poole

• Crew
  • Respect: +1

Woo hoo! Good news. Just what I need.

Hmm... that's not all Kiz
needs...

Dee---is that you?  Great to see you here
Glenn

bbussey

• Crew
  • Respect: +4669
    • www.bbussey.net
Sounds very tantalising - I hope that MTL consider a no r/w and short ladder version, because I'd like a few of these:

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cn/cna794820ajm.jpg

That's the prototype.  But MTL is basing the model on the 1963 as-built appearance, which has high ladders, high brakewheel and roofwalk.  The tackboards on the digital model are different as well.  There is one on the right-hand door in the lower right corner of the middle panel, and the end tackboard is centered rather than offset to the right.  The center door guides at the top of the doors are not present on the model as they are in the photo, but that feature may not have been on every release of the prototype.  The remaining details of the digital model appear to match the photo, including the ride height.  The 1016 coupler box also appears to extend to an acceptable length to simulate the cushioned underframe draft gear.

Bryan Busséy
NHRHTA #2246
NSE #1117
www.bbussey.net