Author Topic: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch  (Read 85973 times)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
Re: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch
« Reply #480 on: February 24, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
In regards to the extension, would expanding the curve enough to allow it to be part of the visible scene be an option?  That would give you more linear space for scenery, possibly in a shorter package.  If it's a river line, I think track with curvature would be more appropriate anyway.

It could, but you would need to expand the width of the turnback loop so that the curve had a realistic radius instead of the current hidden 15 and 13.5". I don't want to make the layout any wider in its modules than 35".

Quote from: guy who can't finish stuff
Finish what you got first!!!  (I should take my own advice)

The plan was to start it around Novemberish.

This.

Having said (re-posted) that, I'd go L...

While the L is a good idea, a requirement to allow the other two parts to operate without the third would be needed. I think it would most likely have to be an  |_  or _| shape.

I can completely admit that this was a moment of weakness. I had been contemplating it in my head for a few months without doing any drawings or physical measurements and as we see here it just doesn't work. The size requirement to allow it to fit into the trailer and leave room for the storage area locks it in at 8', (Could go to 10' if i put it on the upper E track rack) which doesn't do it justice. I also need to remember that this is never become any part of my future home layout, so expanding it beyond its core defeats its purpose.  I'm better off doing a similar scene on the eventual home layout.

Thanks for the comments on the building. I did not get the rust streaking from the windows the way I wanted. I had decided to use my artists acrylics and they were not working how I wanted to. They were horrid. I was able to tone em down and touch em up and then finish the rest of the building with my oils.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #481 on: February 24, 2013, 05:38:19 PM »
Some more work today. Gotta get your ad revenue from those at the train station

And Eds former B23-7....maybe I SHOULD send him the GP38 :facepalm:

I also started working on the GM frame plant. Autorack is a height/width stand in.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:16:22 PM by Ian MacMillan »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #482 on: February 24, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Looking really great Ian. I do have to ask....do they have zoning or building codes in the east? That billboard shoehorned in that spot next to the building looks odd. I's sure that you have a scene in mind, but I have never lived in a place that would allow this.

That's turning out to be fine lookin' piece o' work, my friend.
Like the colors & textures.

+1   :)

MH

+2

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #483 on: February 24, 2013, 08:55:44 PM »
And is there enough vehicle traffic in the area to justify a billboard of this size (and cost)?  The building does look great though.

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #484 on: February 24, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
And is there enough vehicle traffic in the area to justify a billboard of this size (and cost)?  The building does look great though.

That was the other thought I had but forgot to write.  This seems like a pretty gritty location (correct?), and the advertising should reflect that.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #485 on: February 24, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »

That was the other thought I had but forgot to write.  This seems like a pretty gritty location (correct?), and the advertising should reflect that.

Best wishes, Dave

You guys both missed the part where that building faces the commuter station across the mainline tracks. It's not uncommon to see billboard like that across the street from stations or near heavy commuter lines,

Phil
- Phil

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #486 on: February 24, 2013, 09:34:38 PM »
That's because he hasn't built it yet! ;)  I hadn't really studied the track plan lately so thanks for the info.

Best wishes, Dave

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #487 on: February 24, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
I phrased my post in the form of a question.  ;)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2013, 03:55:37 PM »
Looking really great Ian. I do have to ask....do they have zoning or building codes in the east? That billboard shoehorned in that spot next to the building looks odd. I's sure that you have a scene in mind, but I have never lived in a place that would allow this...That was the other thought I had but forgot to write.  This seems like a pretty gritty location (correct?), and the advertising should reflect that.

Yes like Phil said it is across the street from the Amtrak/Commuter station as well as the off layout state highway 140. The station is not built yet except for the base lot. I am having trouble finding a station worthy for the location. I may end up scratch building it.

The ad is tacked to the billboard with two small dots of tacky glue so they can be changed... it can easily be changed to a "bad neighborhood" targeted ad.

Theres lots of building codes and zoning out here! Gotta keep NH green! Billboards are VERY VERY regulated in NH, most being restricted to certain minimum population requirements based on the billboards size. I based this one off of two that are in Manchester along I-293 about 1/4 mile from each other. The first is building mounted, the second is pole mounted.

That's because he hasn't built it yet! ;)  I hadn't really studied the track plan lately so thanks for the info.

Dave, I do need to make some edits to the track plan. A few minor things have changed over the course of building.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:24:06 PM by Ian MacMillan »

Dave Schneider

• Crew
« Reply #489 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
Thanks for the update Ian. I figured that you were doing something that was common to your area, and not the "there's a prototype for everything" approach.
I sometimes forget about how many billboards there are in the lower 48. They are not allowed in Alaska, and I can't say that anybody misses them.

Best wishes, Dave

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #490 on: February 25, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »
They are pretty restricted here as well.  When I go out of state it's surprising how many billboards there are. When I go to PA it's shocking at the amount. Any billboard along a Federal highway or Federally funded road requires a permit from NHDOT.

http://www.nh.gov/oep/resourcelibrary/referencelibrary/o/outdooradvertising/documents/RSA_236_OAC_Laws_10-11-2005.pdf
http://www.nh.gov/dot/laws/documents/tra-601-091658447.pdf

I  think that the  BLMA style boards are really only "common" in Manchester and Nashua around here. They are banned in ME and VT.

edit: Added link to NHDOT rule TRA-601
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:18:45 PM by Ian MacMillan »

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #491 on: March 02, 2013, 08:19:50 PM »
Worked on the station platforms today. Still need to build/find a station for the damn location. :facepalm:

wazzou

• Crew
  • #GoCougs
  • Respect: +1617
« Reply #492 on: March 02, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
That looks really great Ian.
Bryan

Member of NPRHA, Modeling Committee Member
http://www.nprha.org/
Member of MRHA

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9198
« Reply #493 on: March 02, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
Hawtness!

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #494 on: March 03, 2013, 06:09:54 PM »
Some more work today. Started working on Davidson Rubber (red building)