Author Topic: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch  (Read 85992 times)

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
Re: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch
« Reply #420 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:02 PM »
I like the aesthetics of the truss much better than the girder. Just to throw it out there, would deck truss be an option?
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dupesy

• Crew
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #421 on: January 10, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

There is (or were, I dunno if they changed em in the last few years) a similar set of "obstructed" signals in Ayer, MA...that I believe someone on this board has violated... :trollface: :P

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=34965

Yes, that signal configuration is still there, yes it is the signal in your photo, yes it is more than slightly obstructed for an eastbound move, and yes, someone on this forum did have a stop signal violation there.   :facepalm:
dumb ways to die, so many dumb ways to die

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9200
« Reply #422 on: January 10, 2013, 10:25:32 PM »
I like the aesthetics of the truss much better than the girder. Just to throw it out there, would deck truss be an option?

Deck girder would be much more prototypical here than through-girder...  If clearance isn't an issue (which here it's not) the railroad would likely build a deck girder, since it would use less steel.

Truss is good, though.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #423 on: January 10, 2013, 11:36:49 PM »
I still like the truss the most and will most likely stick with it. I like through girders as well but I'm eh about adding a center pier.

Deck girders are nice as well, but the New England roads used them mostly on VERY short spans. There are some longer ones, but I'd say most are about 25'-30'.

I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Dave Schneider

• Crew
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #424 on: January 10, 2013, 11:46:30 PM »
I found the article I was looking for on girder dimensions. Harold Russell did a 5 part series on bridges in Model Railroader in 1988. In my opinion, Harold Russell is one of the great unsung heroes of model railroading. He did so much low key, but fundamental work. Anyhow, the August 1988 issue has specs for deck and through girder bridges, but Bryan already gave some of those. The article references the NMRA and I was able to find the NMRA datasheets on bridge dimensions. These are in the member section but I was able to access them. Very informative.
http://www.nmra.org/member/datasheets

Meanwhile, back at the AN-SIB, I have come around on the through truss bridge. It looks much better in black and fits the scene.

Best wishes, Dave
If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #425 on: January 10, 2013, 11:53:37 PM »
I found the article I was looking for on girder dimensions. Harold Russell did a 5 part series on bridges in Model Railroader in 1988. In my opinion, Harold Russell is one of the great unsung heroes of model railroading. He did so much low key, but fundamental work. Anyhow, the August 1988 issue has specs for deck and through girder bridges, but Bryan already gave some of those. The article references the NMRA and I was able to find the NMRA datasheets on bridge dimensions. These are in the member section but I was able to access them. Very informative.
http://www.nmra.org/member/datasheets
+1
Added to my resources. Thanks Dave

conrail98

• Crew
  • Respect: +40
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2013, 03:48:55 AM »
I could possibly move the signals back a tad, to the the right end of the X58

That's about what I was thinking. A good 1 1/2 or 2 locomotive distances between the end of the bridge and the signal,

Phil
- Phil

TrainCat2

• Crew
  • I'm here to take a beating from RailWire members.
  • Respect: +803
    • TrainCat Model Sales
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2013, 09:41:47 AM »
Ian, see my PM about an alternative.

Regards
boB Knight

I Spell boB Backwards

unittrain

• Crew
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »
Man this is awesome modeling! :o Railwire level modeling 8)

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #429 on: January 13, 2013, 08:56:09 PM »
OK, like I posted in WU, I have been working on the east module to have some continuity. I have to send in several photos next week to Trainfest to see if they will approve the layout to attend the show. They have to deem the layout "show worthy". I was concerned that even though it is about 9 months away that they may balk at the layout because of the current condition of the east module. I have spent the last week working on some "base" items to at least get it so that it at this point looks like it blends together, even though by the time the layout gets to Milwaukee in November it will even be further along.  :facepalm:

One of the spots I have been clueless as to what to do with is a lot that is on an embankment between the SIB and the Portland Line. You can see the road that I put in today. This road leads to the parking lot for the mill that will located in the spot where the blue foam is. The mill is going to be 6.5"h x 14"L x 5"W.

I had thought of leaving the embankment open and adding underbrush and what not and also pondered adding some DPM buildings to it as well. I have posted a shot of this area empty, with one building, and with two buildings.

The one building and two building slightly blocks a switch to the mill, but not to the point that if you just move a tad to the left or the right you can't see the points. It pretty much only obstructs it looking at it straight on.

Thoughts? Ideas? GFY's?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:04:52 PM by Ian MacMillan »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #430 on: January 13, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »
First impression is that the buildings have a crammed-in-there feel. I like the idea of some basic underbrush. Nothing wrong with a little open space.
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Ed Kapuscinski

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Head Kino
  • Respect: +9008
    • Conrail 1285
« Reply #431 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »
I don't like the buildings either, for the same reason.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #432 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »
How about a vacant lot with remains of a building foundation still in evidence, and some nice weeds and sumac taking over?  This would give some scenic relief from the embankment, and provide evidence of a misguided attempt to cram a building in there.  ;)

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #433 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:08 AM »
First impression is that the buildings have a crammed-in-there feel. I like the idea of some basic underbrush. Nothing wrong with a little open space.

How about a vacant lot with remains of a building foundation still in evidence, and some nice weeds and sumac taking over?  This would give some scenic relief from the embankment, and provide evidence of a misguided attempt to cram a building in there.  ;)

This.  Definitely this. 
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #434 on: January 14, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
How about a vacant lot with remains of a building foundation still in evidence, and some nice weeds and sumac taking over?

+1