Author Topic: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch  (Read 86062 times)

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
Re: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
Really fine scenes you've got going here, Ian. This one in particular--

Re: the mill, I know it's not this far along, but keep in mind things like road access to all areas of the property (be careful if you add a third track), outbuildings, possibly a small, fenced-off electrical stepdown facility, outbuildings, perhaps a property fence around the perimeter, maybe with gates. Oh, did I mention outbuildings?

sizemore

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2012, 01:21:07 PM »
I'm looking for comments on this section:

It looks awesome. But you need a van down by the river...with someone eating guv'mint cheese.

Well La Dee Frickin' Da.

:D
The S.

Thompson Sub: Instagram | Youtube | Website

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
Ian,
Your prototype may have a slop to the river, but many mills I've seen have a brick wall lining the river side with vestiges of water wheels and such hanging down.  There would also be some sort of discharge pipe from the mill to the river (perhaps 2 or 3) since that's how we used to do pollution control in the old days.

And you need a couple of fly fishermen in the stream itself, perhaps under discrete observation by  a member of the wildlife law enforcement community.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1398
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2012, 01:50:20 PM »
Is there a different type of material to make a stone wall out of?  The rail bridge abutment is fantastic, but it would be too much to use the same material again, I think.  Maybe cast concrete with supporting ribs.  It would look good to have that right up the the river bank, with some coarse river stone at the base.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2012, 02:05:27 PM »
Is there a different type of material to make a stone wall out of?  The rail bridge abutment is fantastic, but it would be too much to use the same material again, I think.  Maybe cast concrete with supporting ribs.  It would look good to have that right up the the river bank, with some coarse river stone at the base.

I was thinking of doing a poured concrete retaning wall....thinking the same thing...that more cut stone would distract from the scene as a whole.

Ian,
Your prototype may have a slop to the river, but many mills I've seen have a brick wall lining the river side with vestiges of water wheels and such hanging down.  There would also be some sort of discharge pipe from the mill to the river (perhaps 2 or 3) since that's how we used to do pollution control in the old days.

And you need a couple of fly fishermen in the stream itself, perhaps under discrete observation by  a member of the wildlife law enforcement community.

I was thinking of adding an in river pumping house along the banks, with some iron pipe leading up to the water tower.

Fly fishermen are in the plans, I've been looking for a good set. Why does Fun & Games always have to be ruining a good fishing day! I'm also looking for a good suggestion on plastic guard rails.. I like the GMM's but I'm thinking plastic for more durability.

Really fine scenes you've got going here, Ian. This one in particular--

Re: the mill, I know it's not this far along, but keep in mind things like road access to all areas of the property (be careful if you add a third track), outbuildings, possibly a small, fenced-off electrical stepdown facility, outbuildings, perhaps a property fence around the perimeter, maybe with gates. Oh, did I mention outbuildings?

Thanks Dave. Your work in physical form!

Roads I am have been mind planning and the suggestions of the additional retaining walls helps out. The out buildings too are a good suggestion as well as the step down power. I was thinking..if only someone was working on transformers... Definitely property fences. I had planned on having the rail access gate move via servos.

Keep with the suggestions!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:16:26 PM by Ian MacMillan »
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

Chris333

• Crew
  • Respect: +5641
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
Here is a GE bulb plant near me (closed up last year):
http://binged.it/QWv6ao

Yours looks more like a paper mill though.

You probably want some sort of water discharge into the river.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2012, 05:57:18 PM »
You probably want some sort of water discharge into the river.

Agreed. And said river may be a bit too pristine in its current form (alas). Maybe park an EPA truck nearby...

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »
I'm really bad at imagineering stuff like this and always resort to photos for guidance.  This is the closest I could find to your scene in a quick scan.  The waterfall and the placid water behind it are obvious features here.  What's going on upstream where your river emerges from the culvert?

The photo has a few vague suggestions for outbuildings in the background too.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2012, 10:41:56 PM »
On the other side of the culvert it is more of the same, mountain river.

The inspiration for the buildings was from a few mills along the Pemigewasset River in Campton and Lincoln, NH. The Pemi is very similar to how I have modeled it on the layout in terms of depth and rock content. I believe both of these mills actually drew water from the river instead of using a typical mill pond and damn.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemigewasset_River

The buildings can also be somthing else, they don't have to be some mill.

Chris, the GE plant I was pulling some ideas from is this one in Somersworth, NH. They made meters at this plant.From all the other GE plants I have seen in the Northeast its an oddball. This one had a typical brick NE mill on the other side of the complex.

http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=11928
 http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=204004

I have a lot of time tomorrow to work on some of these suggestions.

http
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:47:25 PM by Ian MacMillan »

Philip H

• Crew
  • Respect: +1640
    • Layout Progress Blog
« Reply #219 on: November 21, 2012, 08:34:00 AM »
Agreed. And said river may be a bit too pristine in its current form (alas). Maybe park an EPA truck nearby...

Unhappily for Ian, most EPA trucks (as in the federal agency) are unmarked.  Only the Emergency response guys get logos, and they don't usually do local waterways unless the river is actually on fire.  Hence why I suggested some state fish cops.
Philip H.
Chief Everything Officer
Baton Rouge Southern RR - Mount Rainier Division.

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1398
« Reply #220 on: November 21, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
I love that track sweeper in the photo Ian posted.  is there a nscale version out there?

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #221 on: November 21, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »
None that I know of. Its a Kershaw ballast regulator.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #222 on: November 21, 2012, 03:50:18 PM »
Ok I got working on the retaining wall given in the suggestions. I decided to go with a poured concrete wall....literally a poured concrete wall.  I wanted to add some thin wall brass tubing for the intake/discharge coming out of the bottom of the wall, but for the life of me I can not find the stock I had on hand. So I will add it later.

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #223 on: November 22, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
Ian
 Concrete wall?
From what your modeling, I was thinking that there was some type of remodeling in the space at that plant.
Should the wall be cut stone verses concrete?  As it may have been orginially installed when the plant first opened?
A mere suggestion that this is the oldest part of the plant site.
A possible idea solution might be to make a section of the cut stone wall replaced by poured concrete to demonstrate the history of that property and how things change over periods of time.
TMM

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #224 on: November 22, 2012, 11:35:47 AM »
Ian,
Like your river, I think it looks great but there is one thing that bothers me and it's that one rock in the middle, it just doesn't look right. I think it has something to do with the color of it it just doesn't match up with all the other rock. just my opinion though so keep up the good work.

Jon