Author Topic: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch  (Read 86083 times)

packers#1

• Crew
  • Modern Shortline Modeler
  • Respect: +552
Re: Amoskeag Northern - Simonds Industrial Branch
« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
They do have a kit that has a more modern concrete railing that looks like long K rail/ Jersey barriers
http://rixproducts.com/6280113.htm
I saw that, but they also just have the I beams, so I'll be opting for those and use styrene sheet for the rest. Thanks for reminding me of those kits, looking forward to more progress
Sawyer Berry
Clemson University graduate, c/o 2018
American manufacturing isn’t dead, it’s just gotten high tech

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Learn to use the god damn search feature!
  • Respect: +166
    • Conrail's Amoskeag Northern Division
« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2012, 08:49:23 PM »
Anytime. The I beams are about the right size for a 50' span without support.
I WANNA SEE THE BOAT MOVIE!

Yes... I'm in N... Also HO and 1:1

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #167 on: October 15, 2012, 01:48:04 AM »

Looks very convincing!  But I can picture some nasty accidents happening on that curve, especially on a Friday night. 

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5223
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #168 on: October 15, 2012, 02:32:42 AM »
Looks very convincing!  But I can picture some nasty accidents happening on that curve, especially on a Friday night.

Yeah, some of those black/yellow reflective chevrons or arrows are needed on that wall.
. . . 42 . . .

parkrrrr

• Crew
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2012, 08:12:52 AM »

It reminds me of this curve: http://goo.gl/maps/VJsNj

conrailthomas519

• Crew
  • BNSF / Montana Rail Link
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2012, 12:39:09 PM »
most definitely!   Blair Line low speed signage needed! Looks Awesome so far... Nice work
TMM

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Its actually based on this underpass in Exeter, NH
http://goo.gl/maps/KxnCa

Except the Exeter bridge also has a height restriction, that when I worked there...we would constantly get called for trucks that struck it, or that were now trying to back up the 9% grade back to the highway.

central.vermont

• Crew
  • Jon
  • Respect: +147
« Reply #172 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
Its actually based on this underpass in Exeter, NH
http://goo.gl/maps/KxnCa

Except the Exeter bridge also has a height restriction, that when I worked there...we would constantly get called for trucks that struck it, or that were now trying to back up the 9% grade back to the highway.

................and  for a ground shot.

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »
Damn last week has been productive...and looks like this week will as well. I'm trying to keep my schedule balanced, with removing all of the remaining stuff out of my old house and getting ready for the train show in Bedford on November, 4. Unfortunately both are right about the time that I need to have everything done/out. My ex decided to let the bank foreclose on the house...despite court orders...so I have to get everything remaining out before they send some crew of day laborers to clean it out.

Primary focus is the blocks for the computer. Each of the two modules has about 30-40 blocks that need to be wired up. I spent last week cutting all the gaps and dropping feeders, and now I just need to wire those to the BDL-168's edge connector. Its a pretty simple task...its just a matter of sitting under the layout for about 4 hours soldering.

I'm simultaneously working on scenery so that the layout has something visually that has changed since it's last show in Concord back in August. While ya there will be plenty of electrical that has changed, people want to see scenery stuff

I was finally able to get the Walthers Corn Unloading and Storage buildings painted. This kit is actually HO scale, and I used it at the recommendation of Eric who used it on his Housatonic layout. The buildings height was cut down in half, and it is still an impressively large structure. The building easily holds 4 X58 boxcars. The kit is white, but  I decided to paint the sides the typical prefab steel blue. The color is Krylon "Periwinkle"...which yes it is cheaper than using model paints, but this stuff is thin in coverage. I believe I put 5 coats on the building, in such a thickness that I though it would run and look so thick that it was obvious it was hit with a spray bomb...but it turned out to thin out and level fine.  The building is going to be for a food distributor.

The brick row houses are going to be ghetto'd the f up as who wants to live next to some industrial complex in their $799K McMansion?

I got most of the landforms finished over by the Pemi river. The last thing to work on here was the ROW for Interstate 93, which runs along the back and hides where staging enters the layout on the west side. The culvert that takes the Pemi under I93 will still need some more retaining wall work, but the landforms are mostly complete here. The bridges for the overpass have been built and installed, and are just waiting for their retaining walls and abutments. The highway has two barrels, including a DOT cross over just north of the bridge for the NHSP to sit and run RADAR, nailing out of state Mass plates for petty speed!

Work on the east end consisted of building the lower at grade crossing for Depot St., and the parking lot for the Amtrak Station. The lot in the foreground is the base for the Amtrak station. I have not decided what to use for the station building at this time and I am open to suggestions.

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
Ian, sorry if we covered this before. How are you gluing the tile blocks down? Im thinking about a way to do it somewhat speedy. I was thinking of having a tray of white glue out and dipping each one in the glue before placing it. Not sure if the white glue would hold. Also thinking about liquid nails or something close to that. I know these block take take to install, but I was trying to toss around ideas.
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

Ian MacMillan

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
« Reply #175 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
I am using Gorilla Glue's super glue. I like how it has a slight thickness to it so that it does not run, but it goes on thin and does not ooze. It has replaced LocTite's superglue as my super glue of choice.

I do not believe that the white glue will hold well because the tile is not porous enough for it.

DKS

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Respect: +7026
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
I am using Gorilla Glue's super glue... It has replaced LocTite's superglue as my super glue of choice.

+1 and +1.

It's what I used for my floor tile stone walls.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #177 on: October 24, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
I am using Gorilla Glue's super glue. I like how it has a slight thickness to it so that it does not run, but it goes on thin and does not ooze.

+2

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Bsklarski

• Crew
  • Respect: +6
    • B&M Conn River Line
« Reply #178 on: October 24, 2012, 03:36:25 PM »
$160 for a 16 once botttle?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :facepalm:
Brian Sklarski
Engineer, New England Central Railroad

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Maine-Conn-River-Line/173358446076160

peteski

• Crew
  • Honorary Resident Curmudgeon
  • Respect: +5223
    • Coming (not so) soon...
« Reply #179 on: October 24, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
16 oz.?  Why in the world would someone buy that much superglue?   I can barely keep the 1/4 oz. bottles from hardening!   :|
. . . 42 . . .