Author Topic: Detailing an IM ES44AC in HO scale  (Read 4488 times)

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1721
Detailing an IM ES44AC in HO scale
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
Hi everyone, here are some pics of a recent loco detailing effort.   This is an HO scale Intermountain ES44AC that I added a hat full of detail parts, including some scale wire handrails, grabirons, and cut bars, plus hoses, spare knuckles, and a few others.  These IMs are pretty nice OOTB, so mainly I wanted to see what kind of a difference the wire parts would make.  To illustrate this I took a few side-by-side pics of the new and modified models.   To my eye, the cut levers (by Railflyer) stand out the most but I think the other parts make a difference too.   I'm not too happy with the paint match of the Polly Scale UP Armor Yellow, but I'm hoping that some weathering will make it less noticeable.

BTW the sound on these guys really rocks too ;)

Ed

Scottl

• Crew
  • Respect: +1357
Re: Detailing an IM ES44AC in HO scale
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28:24 PM »
The railings really grab my eye.  That is a big improvement in my view.  Nice work.

GaryHinshaw

• Global Moderator
  • Crew
  • Respect: +1856
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15:23 AM »
You're evil.*

How about a side view, so we can fully appreciate the railings.  It looks great from the ends!

-Gary

*HO-HO-HO   :P

ednadolski

• Crew
  • Respect: +1721
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 10:36:05 PM »
How about a side view, so we can fully appreciate the railings.

Aha, you've got me -- I haven't actually done the side railings, for a couple of reasons.   First, I didn't think the gray factory railings were as noticeably oversized compared to the white end railings. Also it would have been a lot of work to carefully core out each stanchion to run a wire through it, so overall the ROI on the time investment didn't seem to be there.  Also there is some chance of an aftermarket (Railflyer?) GE stanchion becoming available in the not-too-distant future, so if/when that happens then that would be the time to upgrade.

I did replace the brake pipes on the trucks which to me was another notable difference, plus this also has some underframe piping/cables/chain and other details added.  I'll see if about getting a pic or two of those.

One other thing that isn't too apparent in these end-view pics is that the wire cut lever handles, being at an angle like the prototype, are more prominent when looking at the model in person.  The plastic factory cut lever handles just stick straight up and are not at all on an angle like the prototype.

*HO-HO-HO   :P

Aging eyes, for one thing -- I'm only 48 but already on trifocals....   :P

(But IIRC, didn't you tell me previously to stop doing N-scale?   ;D ;D ;D )

Ed