Author Topic: The Little Rock Line  (Read 112522 times)

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
  • Respect: +1389
    • The Little Rock Line
Re: The Little Rock Line
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2022, 04:52:38 PM »
Thank you sir!

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #676 on: August 20, 2022, 12:39:23 AM »
+9
Rock Island U33B, #285
This 3rd U-Boat carries the Maroon and Yellow scheme with the large speed lettering that was common on the Red and Yellow scheme of the 70's, I always thought this to be a interesting combination, because looking at Black & White pics of the Rock Island, it was sometimes hard to tell what colors the locos wore.

Also noteworthy, this loco has had it's trucks replaced with new ones.  Evidently this was done after the road decided to switch to Red & Yellow scheme.  In the Maroon era, trucks and fuel tanks were painted black, in the 70's with the change to Red & Yellow the trucks and fuel tanks were now painted in a medium gray, which is very close to UP Harbor Mist gray or SP Dark Lark gray, but after a few months of service, they got so dirty they began to look black.  I tried to keep mine a little cleaner so the gray showed up.

Here's a shot of the three I have done so far, we see them crossing the Ouachita River bridge.   I really need to get this area sceniced... :facepalm:

CRL

• Crew
  • Needs More Dirt.
  • Respect: +635
« Reply #677 on: August 20, 2022, 01:16:35 AM »
+1
Beautifully done! Being more of a “general effect” level modeler, I’ve never taken my modeling as deeply into the weeds (so to speak) as you have. In fact, I had to look very closely (with old eyes) to see the replaced doors/panels you modeled because the general effect of your modeling was so superior it was breathtakingly natural.

Some modelers try to do the high detail deep dive as you have done, but end up botching the general effect so badly that the high detail isn’t noticeable, or is just incongruent with the total effect.

You’ve done a beautiful job on both. 👍👍👍👍👍

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #678 on: August 20, 2022, 11:53:34 AM »
Beautifully done! Being more of a “general effect” level modeler, I’ve never taken my modeling as deeply into the weeds (so to speak) as you have. In fact, I had to look very closely (with old eyes) to see the replaced doors/panels you modeled because the general effect of your modeling was so superior it was breathtakingly natural.

Some modelers try to do the high detail deep dive as you have done, but end up botching the general effect so badly that the high detail isn’t noticeable, or is just incongruent with the total effect.

You’ve done a beautiful job on both. 👍👍👍👍👍
Wow!  Thank you for the kind words and strong props!
I'm glad you like them.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #679 on: August 20, 2022, 11:59:26 AM »
+8
After reading the nice reply from CRL about my last U33B, it looks like I forgot to post images of my 2nd U33B: #299 in my layout thread.  Not looking for any feedback, as I posted it in a WU, just trying to keep my thread updated.

Here's the second of five U33B's  #299

coosvalley

• Crew
  • Respect: +640
« Reply #680 on: August 21, 2022, 07:43:37 PM »
Forgive me if I didn't see it elswhere, are they proper U33Bs, or are they just B30-7s being used as stand ins? I'm not judging or anything, just curious. Sometimes you have to make compromises.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #681 on: August 21, 2022, 10:15:20 PM »
Forgive me if I didn't see it elswhere, are they proper U33Bs, or are they just B30-7s being used as stand ins? I'm not judging or anything, just curious. Sometimes you have to make compromises.

No worries.
I thought I did, but it was way back on the WU of 7/17 when I first started on them.

https://www.therailwire.net/forum/index.php?topic=54403.msg746331#msg746331

Nonetheless, you are correct.  I did chose B30-7's as stand-ins as I don't have the applicable skills (or patience) to do a chop job.
I was going to use B23-7's but the ones I had on hand had anti-climbers which I considered a "hard pass".
I can stomach the wrong grills and the wrong bump out.

I remember having Paul from Atlas on a forum and the thread was about "wished for" items.
I asked him about U33/36B's, to which he responded: "Nope, not enough interest in either scale".
Less than a year later they released an HO version, and one in Rock Island to boot.
Screw it, I was done waiting...

garethashenden

• Crew
  • Respect: +1315
« Reply #682 on: August 22, 2022, 06:19:21 PM »
What are the main spotting differences? I'm not a GE expert, but I'll need some Penn Central runthough power soon...

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2022, 07:17:21 PM »
What are the main spotting differences? I'm not a GE expert, but I'll need some Penn Central runthough power soon...
I'm no expert either but there are three things I've noticed.

U33B
More small grills right behind the cab near the roof
The 'Bump out" on the long hood is in line with the front of the radiators
The grills are different on the rear of the long hood

B30-7
No grills right behind the cab
The "Bump out" on the long hood has been moved to be in line with the front of the exhaust stack.
The grills on the rear of the long hoos is different.

I'm sure there are a ton more things, but that is what's noticeable to my eyes.
Some rivet counter will come along and fill in the blanks for you...

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #684 on: August 28, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »
+6
Here are the last two U33B's I finished up.

Then I had to take them for a spin.

signalmaintainer

• Crew
  • Respect: +234
« Reply #685 on: August 28, 2022, 01:11:51 PM »
+1
Excellent results, Allen!
NSMR #1975, RMR #4

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #686 on: October 09, 2022, 04:31:53 PM »
+4
Just updating my thread and adding my first two Rock Island GP35's for continuity sakes.

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #687 on: October 09, 2022, 04:38:24 PM »
+5
I got the 323 finished up, just waiting on some chips so I can get the headlight tied in.
The #323 was the only GP35 to wear the Red and Yellow scheme of the 70's.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:59:10 PM by Bendtracker1 »

Bendtracker1

• Crew
  • Remember The Rock!
    • The Little Rock Line
« Reply #688 on: October 23, 2022, 02:26:43 PM »
+5
Following close on the heels of the #323 is #307, I was working on this one right after I got the #323 done and was waiting on the chips to arrive.
Pretty much the same as the #323 except it's Maroon and Yellow.   Only two 35's were wore this Maroon and Yellow scheme: 307 & 317.
The trucks and fuel tank are actually black on this scheme, but I tried to make them look dusty.

The trucks and fuel tank are actually black on this scheme, but I tried to make them look dusty
like the prototype.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:34:28 PM by Bendtracker1 »

Cajonpassfan

• Crew
  • Respect: +1961
« Reply #689 on: October 23, 2022, 04:37:05 PM »
+1
Dang, Allen, that's a good looking fleet! All different and yet clearly part of the same family. Loving it!
Otto