Author Topic: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report  (Read 331949 times)

Lemosteam

• Crew
  • PRR, The Standard Railroad of my World
  • Respect: +3511
    • Designer at Keystone Details
Re: PRR/Conrail Juniata Division Engineering Report
« Reply #2205 on: October 09, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »
A pair of Grande Doctor Testículos Calientes! :trollface:

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
  • Respect: +6800
« Reply #2206 on: October 09, 2017, 02:02:43 PM »
What's it worth, though?

Pick a number that is the minimum at which you'd be willing to part with the layout, add perhaps a couple of hundred of dollars to the starting bid for sh!ts and giggles, and see what happens.  PM sent.

DFF

Member: ACL/SAL Historical Society
Member: Wilmington & Western RR
A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Cameron_Talley

• Crew
  • Respect: +37
« Reply #2207 on: October 09, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »
I would hope you could keep the layout complete and that someone will give it a good home, since it's such a fantastic little layout.

Dave V

• Crew
  • Foothills Farm Studios -- Dave's Model Railroading
  • Respect: +9184
« Reply #2208 on: October 09, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »
I would hope you could keep the layout complete and that someone will give it a good home, since it's such a fantastic little layout.

I hear this sentiment a lot and I understand it...but if it turns out I can get more money dissecting it, I won't hesitate.  Iconic though it may be for some (for reasons I've never grasped) for me it's been a thing I've carried back and forth across the country for 11 years.  While I have a lot of great memories wrapped up in it, I also have some frustrations with it and honestly it ain't so magical when you see it every single time you go down to the train room to do some work.

EDIT:  And let's not forget the guy who built that layout 11 years ago has come a long way as a model railroader.  The JD would look different if I were to do it again.  Even if the track plan remained the same (although even then there are some design flaws that make realistic operation nigh impossible) it'd look different (i.e., better).  Code 55 track, a less vertical scenic divider, static grass, etc.  I built it before I was called up to the Big Leagues (i.e., TRW) and have learned so much since then.  It's a classic example of design and construction from an older era of N scale.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:15:57 PM by Doctor Testículos Calientes »

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #2209 on: October 09, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »
What?!?!? No Dr. Testiculos Callientes! NOOOOO!!!! You can't do it!!!! WAAAAAHHH!!!

Oh wait... this isn't Facebook.  :trollface:

I'd hate to see it go as much as anyone else, but you gotta do what's right for you.

I still think you'll miss the Pennsy when it's gone, though.  ;)
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2210 on: October 09, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »
What?!?!? No Dr. Testiculos Callientes! NOOOOO!!!! You can't do it!!!! WAAAAAHHH!!!

Oh wait... this isn't Facebook.  :trollface:

I'd hate to see it go as much as anyone else, but you gotta do what's right for you.

I still think you'll miss the Pennsy when it's gone, though.  ;)

Isn't that the case with anything you love, though?  I have a different perspective having been in the military my whole adult life.  Sentimental value is only so important when you have to keep moving along to the next thing.  If I saved everything that ever brought me joy my basement would be a landfill.

That said, yes, I may miss Pennsy.  Just like I missed the RGS all those years I wasn't modeling it.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2211 on: October 09, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
I hear this sentiment a lot and I understand it...but if it turns out I can get more money dissecting it, I won't hesitate.

Dave,

What exactly do you think will be valuable, if parting it out?  The structures certainly should bring you some coin, but what else?  The track?  The HCD?  The table legs?  The wiring?  I wouldn't expect that the scenery materials would bring you big bucks, and, if I recall correctly, only a small portion of the layout is covered with SuperTrees.  And, if you're getting out of Pennsy N scale, not much is salvageable for your Colorado Midland layout.  I still think the JD is worth more as a complete layout.

The JD may not seem like much to you on some days, but that eleven-year-old layout is far and above what most modelers are capable of doing even today.  I expect a sizable audience of takers, if the price is right.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2212 on: October 09, 2017, 07:57:57 PM »
A buyer has been found and a deal made.  However due to transportation issues, the transaction won't happen for a few months yet.  The buyer wishes to remain anonymous and anonymous s/he shall remain.

davefoxx

• Crew
  • TRW Plaid Member
« Reply #2213 on: October 09, 2017, 08:02:36 PM »
A buyer has been found and a deal made.  However due to transportation issues, the transaction won't happen for a few months yet.  The buyer wishes to remain anonymous and anonymous s/he shall remain.

Congratulations!  That was fast!  I'm glad this has occurred, and hope both the buyer and seller are very happy with the transaction.

DFF

A Proud HOer
BUY ALL THE TRAINS!

eric220

• The Pitt
  • Crew
  • Continuing my abomination unto history
  • Respect: +623
    • The Modern PRR
« Reply #2214 on: October 09, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
Say it ain't so!!!!

Is the buyer at least an :ashat:, or are we saying goodbye to the JD?
-Eric

Modeling a transcontinental PRR
http://www.pennsylvania-railroad.com

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2215 on: October 09, 2017, 08:06:23 PM »
In all seriousness I'm not at liberty to say.  I suspect that when all is done there may yet be a Chapter 2 for the JD.

In the meantime it'll be balls deep on the 'Southern...  Colorado's own steam-powered Penn Central.

wm3798

• Crew
  • I like models. She likes antiques. Perfect!
  • Respect: +6321
    • Western Maryland Railway Western Lines
« Reply #2216 on: October 10, 2017, 12:02:01 PM »
I suppose the transaction includes the beautiful and iconic Lewistown Station created by DKS.  That alone is worth its weight in gold.  Congratulations on the transition, and I hope we see more of the layout in its new setting.  Good thing it sold quickly.  I was gassing up the truck and cleaning out my daughter's tuition account....

Lee
Rockin' It Old School

Lee Weldon www.wmrywesternlines.net

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2217 on: October 10, 2017, 01:47:09 PM »
Yep, includes the Lewistown depot.  If this person ever decides to move on from the JD in the future, the depot should go to Todd Treaster who's asked for dibs.

Blazeman

• Crew
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #2218 on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:23 PM »
+1
Another legendary N layout moves to a new owner/location. Clinchfield, Naugatuck, and now Juniata Div. This thread should be preserved then as a "historical record." TRW....cyber home of the JD.

Dave V

• Crew
« Reply #2219 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:39 PM »
Another legendary N layout moves to a new owner/location. Clinchfield, Naugatuck, and now Juniata Div. This thread should be preserved then as a "historical record." TRW....cyber home of the JD.

...except that the vast majority of images in the thread resided on now-nuked hosting sites.